THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Hello

I finally got a La Caja China. It was definitely well used. Most of it doesn't show too much wear and tear however the charcoal grates and the pan that they sit on have a good amount of rust.

Outside of sandblasting them, any good tricks for dealing with rust on a cooker?

Thanks
Sam

I seen on YouTube vinegar and water (3:1 i think) mixed then parts soaked till rust comes off. Pretty cool.

If you want to remove the rust, use Evapo Rust.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDh0GU4_Org"]Cast Iron Dutch Oven Grill Restoration - Evapo-Rust Team Fitzgerald - YouTube[/ame]

Yep. Evaporust. Harbor Freight carries it. I have some grates from a Craigslist buy soaking in some right now. Give it time and take a scouring pad to it once a day to remove the stuff that's loosened up.

Isn't evaporust made by the same company that makes Tenda-Rub?

A coworker swears by evaporust, but says not to leave the metal in longer than it says to.

Those things are one job use. I've burned up a few.

Meh, depends. You definitely don't want to run one continuously for a long period of time, but 10 - 15 minute intervals have been fine with me. I picked one up to strip the outside of a Weber Genesis firebox and end caps. Used it on another Genesis with no problems and am now using it for a third time on a Genesis.

Stripping 3 Genny's for $15 for the grinder and the cup brush ? That works for me.

Back