looking for a new smoker

MiddNightSmoker

As much as Id love to spend the money on a Lang reverse flow.. or possibly a Fatstack offset for my backyard.. I don't have that sort of money to "burn" right now.. My first smoker was a Charbroil Offset smoker sold at Home Depot years ago.. *finally tossed it due to the rust eating at it like a parasite. I understand what I purchased.. but until I can spend the money on the smoker I want.. I need something to fill the void. The only thing I have right now.. is my Big Chief Smoker.. *which I use for smoking my trout.. and have a Caja China with an electric pellet smoker.. *basically like an oven with a smoker on it. Nice thing about that Caja China.. I can cook loads of food/meat at a time.. but.. it's no smoker. Currently.. been thinking about that Oklahoma Joes Reverse flow smoker *even though that fire box seems to sag after some uses!.. or that Old Country Brazos Offset smoker. That puts me around 500-1,000. Between the 2.. I realize that the Brazos is probably the better option.. with some MODS.. tuning plates.. possibly extending the smoke stack.. I can probably get that Brazos fine tuned. I live in CA.. I can probably go and check out them Oklahoma Joes in person.. but I'd have to deal with shipping on that Brazos. I know for that 500-1,000 price tag.. I'm limited to the quality and extras most higher priced smokers would have.. but.. is there perhaps a better option in my price range? I'm looking to get back into my Friday night late night/all night/morn smokes. Looking for the most cooking space available for that price range.. smokers closest to 1/4in.. stick burner.. thanks again for your feedback.

It sounds to me like the Oklahoma Joe might be your best bet for your price range. Or a UDS. The Brazos is supposedly 1/4" thick which is nice but again you are looking at shipping costs to California. You might keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist and FB Marketplace. Good luck.

Have you considered the Char-Griller Grand Champion? For the most part it has great reviews and a lot of space.

It sounds like you want to cook with sticks so the easiest thing is to find whichever one you can get for the least expense. You won't go wrong either option. The Brazos would be better. If you wanted to use charcoal for a while, there are cheaper good options like a Weber Smoky Mountain 22 inch or all kinds of Ugly Drum options or making them yourself. Then you can make great food, and save up an allotted amount for a year or so and get your shipping money too. That or rent a small trailer and plan a road trip.

Used WSM for $150 off facebook marketplace / craigslist :) Highly efficient, superb flavor (with no ash dust on meat) and auto-mode temp control.

WSM and a UDS both do a great job and are fairly easy on the wallet If you have a drum and a lid Big Pappa Smokers has a kit with what you need to build a UDS
Let us know what you decide to get

The BBQ HQ has the brazos. I know it’s Southern California and you’re northern. No idea what it would cost to ship from there. Best of luck!

Old Country makes a cheaper smoker called the Pecos. It's thinner than the Brazos, but on a budget it looks like it should work just fine.

Really, if you have the space, have you thought about a cinderblock smoker? You still get real wood flavor / smoke, and it's a fraction of the price of a steel smoker. If you're interested in all night long cooks then this might be a good way of keeping yourself engaged on those long nights.

There's multiple designs out there where you can build a large pit for a very small budget...it would easily fit within your $1000 max limit. It's also a lot of fun as you're building something, and you can use it multiple ways. You can build an offset firebox and treat it like an offset smoker, or you can use a burn barrel and burn your wood down to coals, and shovel those coals into the pit for heat and smoke.

OKJ Highland with gaskets and a tuning plate runs real nice. The WSM recommendations are solid too. OKJ takes more attention and fire management obviously, but I enjoyed cooking on mine and it turned out great BBQ while I had it. Like you, I used it to scratch my stick burner itch while I waited for the smoker I wanted.... at least wanted at the moment.

Back