Trailer logos

For my fellow Hoosiers, I learned that in Indiana there is an exemption for intrastate. You don't need a US DOT number if you are carrying non-hazardous materials and are less than 26000lbs. Just fyi.

Not to take away from the risk factor, but we're hearing about the extreme examples of when the hammer dropped on a few people. Obviously if you have a F350 and you're pulling a fully wrapped 44 ft. gooseneck trailer across the country, you're a bigger target, literally. Has anyone besides Rub managed to haul around without getting harassed? I'd bet 50%+ of competitors using trailers are in the 14'-20' range and could probably get away with just their logo for the 5-15 contests the majority are doing (many in-state). Again, not to say the risk isn't there, but I bet the silent majority of folks with a logo on their trailer rarely, if ever, have been stopped. It's probably not as scary as it sounds....
Hello ensnidix, you are correct for the most part, as our set-up is on the more extreme end, though you are seeing more large set-ups and more branding. It is definitely the trend now. We are just sharing our experience for those that may be considering going that direction and making it clear that it isn't exclusive to a set-up like ours. If someone fits the listed criteria, then they can be stopped and be subject to the laws/rules should a Federal DOT officer make the stop. The issue may be if they are stopped by Highway Patrol or worse, in an accident, and that officer calls in Federal DOT. The exposure can and most likely is much larger than people think, regardless of how minimal of a target one may think themselves to be. Just because it hasn't happened to someone, doesn't mean it can't or it won't. Hopefully, it doesn't! But, for those with a business, for those selling products or building a brand, if they were to have an accident or issue and they chose not to follow the laws/rules, they are opening themselves to a lot of financial and legal exposure, based on what we have learned. Just trying to share that knowledge to those that may be unaware. Best wishes!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a DOT# and you are private, travel interstate, you need a medical card and your vehicle needs inspected yearly. If you travel father than your 150 mile rule, you need a log book?
Hello Burnt at Both Endz, you also need a drug test and you have to join a consortium for that, at least we did here. Here is the Federal website, https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/. You also need to consult the agency responsible in your state. For us in Ohio, it is the PUCO, and they have their own handbook. Best wishes!

For my fellow Hoosiers, I learned that in Indiana there is an exemption for intrastate. You don't need a US DOT number if you are carrying non-hazardous materials and are less than 26000lbs. Just fyi.
Hello nachos4life, that may be the case in Indiana for intrastate vs. interstate. Those are regulated differently. Be sure to check directly with the agency in your state responsible for enforcement. In Ohio, it's the PUCO. They will ask you the right questions and tell you where you fall and what you should have in place. Best wishes!

I think the best way to keep the worms from getting loose is to not open the can. Hoping to have contest in about 4 states this year, plus the pass through states. For me I think I will continue to put up the banners and roll down the road looking like an RV.

From reading the posts, if your trailer is unmarked, you're not likely to be pulled over?
Hey backdraftbbq, that may be likely, but the possibility exists, so it depends on your risk tolerance. When we asked, "what if we just remove the wrap and branding, are we exempt then?" The gentleman from the Ohio PUCO, agency responsible for Federal DOT enforcement in Ohio, said, "you have to look at from a liability standpoint. if you are in an accident or cause an incident, and you don't have the proper things in place, you are opening yourself to legal and financial liability." For us, as a growing business and brand, it was an easy decision to follow the laws/rules. Just to be clear, not here to try to scare anyone or say you have to do this. I am just sharing our experience and what we have learned and wish we would have educated ourselves on from the jump. Best wishes.

Just a reminder to those with DOT numbers. do not forget to renew them! Friend of mine had an awful experience with this in his business. The fine for this one is cumulative btw.

I appreciate the info and sharing the knowledge that you've gained. I have a RAM 1500, 6800# GVWR and my trailer is 7000# GVWR, giving me a grand total of 13800# GVWR, it looks like I would be subject to the commercial registration requirements. It sounds like that if you stay within your state you are under that state's requirements, once you go into another state you need to meet Federal DOT.

Hey backdraftbbq, that may be likely, but the possibility exists, so it depends on your risk tolerance. When we asked, "what if we just remove the wrap and branding, are we exempt then?" The gentleman from the Ohio PUCO, agency responsible for Federal DOT enforcement in Ohio, said, "you have to look at from a liability standpoint. if you are in an accident or cause an incident, and you don't have the proper things in place, you are opening yourself to legal and financial liability." For us, as a growing business and brand, it was an easy decision to follow the laws/rules. Just to be clear, not here to try to scare anyone or say you have to do this. I am just sharing our experience and what we have learned and wish we would have educated ourselves on from the jump. Best wishes.

And this was the case for my buddy....now mind you an 85 foot gray semi truck/motor home and obvious car trailer is pretty obvious even w/o signage, especially when 40 or 50 of them descend upon a small town in the middle of nowhere on a given day...basically the cops told him, "look, any Tom, Dick, or Harry can drive one of these with an RV plate (and I've looked at all of these Class A motorhomes going down the road with an 80 year old behind the wheel :boom::mod:), and we are just trying to protect the public"....It sucks, and can cost you big in fines and convenience. Just know the rules and regulations so that you can protect yourself.......

18A12113-846E-4A41-A1F5-7385BDBD7DE3_zpsizh4wksi.jpg

We finally got sick of hanging banners and bit the bullet this week. Got the sponsors stickers as well. Make things easy for popping of a pic after the contest.

:becky:

After much deliberation about taking our chances and whatnot, we decided to go ahead and get the NYS DOT#. We figured it only takes one unlucky day to wind up with a mess. It was very simple, just takes time to go through the questions online.

You guys will have to excuse me..I am a little slow. Is the issue that you would need commercial insurance in some jurisdictions if you have logos, etc... on your trailer?

Insurance is insurance.. It follows the tow vehicle not the trailer

Back