Trailer logos

They have to prove you are commercial and are making money off the trailer. If they can't prove you make money with it (You can say you cook for free at events ETC…) it will never stick in court.

Totally agree with this, just would prefer to avoid the PIA factor. Even going to the site Slamdunk provided show no reason to need it except for the weight factor, which I believe to be under but will check out.

Interesting thing is people were reporting getting stopped in SD and according to what I read, SD does not even require DOT. (unless i misinterpreted)

I think I will go "small scale" as J&B mentioned.

They have to prove you are commercial and are making money off the trailer. If they can't prove you make money with it (You can say you cook for free at events ETC…) it will never stick in court.
They just have to prove that you are ATTEMPTING to make money with it - the key words are "engaged in commerce" (this includes cooking contests). If you team name is on the trailer and they find it on a contest results sheet...... This is why most small race car trailers aren't wrapped. Even so they can still force you to park your trailer on the spot until it gets sorted out. DOT cops have wide latitude when it comes to pulling vehicles off the road.

Totally agree with this, just would prefer to avoid the PIA factor. Even going to the site Slamdunk provided show no reason to need it except for the weight factor, which I believe to be under but will check out.

Interesting thing is people were reporting getting stopped in SD and according to what I read, SD does not even require DOT. (unless i misinterpreted)

I think I will go "small scale" as J&B mentioned.
SD doesn't require a SD DOT number for INTRASTATE, Interstate is a Federal DOT issue.

They will have a much easier time showing that you are "engaged in commerce" than you will proving you are not. It is not a fun game and the DOT have a much broader range of jurisdiction as stated before. If you are over 10,000 # GCVW and are active in trade, exchange any money for goods or receive gain for your participation if it is for profit or not you are engaging in commerce and are subject to the guidelines.
10K pounds is nothing, I have a Chevy 3500 drw and it is almost 8000 pounds empty. Here in Florida it is easy to spot heavy vehicles as all plates run out in December, instead of your birthday whether you are commercially licensed or not.
I keep a current medical DOT card, as everyone with a CDL must now to maintain it. Is this good, probably not as it strengthens their case as I have a commercial license and should know the rules, even though I do not have this vehicle or trailer registered as commercial, so I keep it looking like a camper.
I had 6 pallets of charcoal on my cargo trailer and got stopped. I had to show the receipt in my name showing that they were my sole property, and not being transported for a commercial business or for sale to others. It was made clear that they were for personal use and I made it clear that I cook alot and buy charcoal once a year. I was polite, had my paperwork in order, they knew I had a CDL, but also knew that the truck and trailer was registered to me personally and it still took me about an hour before I was back on the road. I still to this day think that they did not believe me.
Avoid any issue that you can, it is not a fun thing to deal with the DOT, ask any commercial truck driver.

Yeah, but Scottie is always an outlier.

I think Tim from Spitfire always had a go around with SD. It's just not worth the headache for me.

Yea, but most of us don't have the tractor/trailer setup. It might not matter legally, but pulling 40+ feet with a Freightliner tractor is going to attract a lot more attention than an F250/5th wheel RV (logos or not).

Jeff, here's a link to MN's commercial vehicle qualifications.

Interestingly, it says on the PDF "do the commercial vehicle regs apply to you : motor sports, horse shows, fishing tournaments, other competitive events." However, if you are staying IN state you do not need DOT number if you don't claim prizes or deduct costs for business tax and don't advertise a sponsor. If you do either of those but your combined weight is less than 10,000 lbs., you're still ok w/o DOT number.

We have learned about all of the DOT regulations the hard way. I'll spare you the long version of the story but we got stopped in PA on the way back to Ohio from Connecticut and got put "out-of-service" and had to hire someone to get our trailer back home (and then had to hire a driver several times after that as we had already committed to several other out of state events).

As far as the DOT is concerned anyone at a BBQ contest is "engaged in commerce". You paid for the spot to be there and you have the potential to earn money. Technically even if you don't have a single logo on your trailer it doesn't matter and you could be stopped (although it is pretty unlikely that you will be stopped).

Since our GVWR is above 26,000lbs we are basically treated the same as a semi as far as the DOT is concerned. We have to get CDLs, join a drug testing consortium, have medial cards, log books, vehicle inspections, the whole 9 yards. Since we have already been stopped once we are in a federal database so if we get stopped again and aren't compliant the consequences could be severe. If your actual rolling weight is greater than 26,000 I think there are additional logging requirements for IFTA (Fuel taxes)

If you are over 10,000 lbs but under 26,000 you still have to do all the paperwork but don't have to do the CDL stuff (drug test, medical card, log bog).

These are all federal regulations. Some states have a "non-commercial CDL" that is easier to get than a standard CDL.

As far as the DOT is concerned anyone at a BBQ contest is "engaged in commerce". You paid for the spot to be there and you have the potential to earn money. Technically even if you don't have a single logo on your trailer it doesn't matter and you could be stopped (although it is pretty unlikely that you will be stopped).

This happened to my buddy who drives a dirt late model stock car. He has a large toter home and stacker trailer (over 26,000 GVWR) that was registered as an RV and said "Registered RV - Not for Hire" on the side. No wrap, no advertising. He was on his way to a big race in Iowa along with about 40 other drivers and got stopped by Iowa State Police. They had to empty all of the booze in the truck, the driver couldn't drive any more because they decided that the truck now required a CDL licensed driver (which my buddy has because his family owns a trucking company, so got lucky there), and they also determined that anyone driving the truck had to have a HAZMAT endorsement because they were carrying more than 30 gallons of gasoline. Along with that, now have to keep logs and abide by the CDL driving rules. It is a giant PITA.........:mad2:

If they want to get ya, they will somehow. My understanding is that the Iowa State Police and DOT like to make an example out of someone every year......:mod:

So I've got a Silverado 1/2 ton and my trailer weighs 3,500 lbs. From my math, I should be under 10,000lbs. Am I good? I've got team and sponsor logos on the trailer but have never been stopped.

Hello All! I thought I would weigh-in here, no pun intended, as I am the person Michael (Slamdunkpro) and Tony (tonyb) are referring to in their posts. Yes, this did happen in 2016, while I was driving back from an event at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut. While going thru Pennsylvania, a bolt in a tire and an hour out of the way drive to get one, happen to put me at a toll station at the same time as a Federal DOT officer. While our meeting that day may have been a coincidence, the occurrence was always a possibility, we have learned. He chose to pull me over right after I went thru the toll booth. His reason, the logos on the trailer and the fact I did not have a Federal DOT number displayed on the truck. He was very thorough, cited me for ‘missing equipment,” actually somewhat lenient there, and did put me ‘out of service’ and parked me right there on the side of the highway where he stopped me. We have been told by others with the DOT, he didn’t need to be as harsh as he was, however, he was in the right and we have certainly learned a lot about this since then. In this instance, we were forced to track down a transporter, who turn out to be from Ohio, and have him drive the truck and trailer home. He also subsequently drove it to and from Washington DC for us for that event.

If you have seen our trailer, it is obviously promoting our brand and screams engaging in commerce. This is despite it being a travel trailer and having Ohio personal tags. How the Ohio DMV classifies it for tags and how the Federal DOT classifies it for use are two different things. We relied on information from the DMV and a discussion with Ohio Highway Patrol officers, as a basis for thinking we were ok. However, it was not their fault, as we failed to do the full and proper research, and relied on the thought that we fell into a gray area, due to how Ohio DMV classified it. We were wrong and we don’t want others to be uninformed.

What you are engaging in and the GVWR of your vehicle, combined GVWR if you are towing anything, are what matter. If you are going to anything where there is the opportunity to earn money, either directly at that destination or in the future from promotion received at it, you are engaging in commerce. That makes you commercial. If your total GVWR is 10,001 lbs or more, then you are subject to a number of commercial registration requirements. If your total GVWR is 26,001 lbs or more, then you are also required to have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), which includes drug testing, medical card, and the keeping of a driving log book. It is a bit of work and does have some expense, but it is not that difficult to complete. It just takes some time to get it all done. We are/have now gone thru it. You need to look at where you are driving, as there are Intrastate vs. Interstate regulations, but if you are going to contests around the country, you are Interstate and you are engaging in commerce as far as the law and the Federal DOT are concerned.

For the record, some states do have a non-commercial CDL. Ohio does not. Also, it is important to note, the Federal DOT office that stopped me said Pennsylvania is one of the toughest states and their laws are a bit different. He said 2 things that I thought were very worrisome for anyone traveling with a large vehicle and trailer. First, he said, since my truck was over 10,000 lb GVWR, I need a CDL just to drive my truck, so I couldn’t even unhook the trailer and leave. As it turns out, my operator’s license in Ohio gives me full legal permission to drive a vehicle the size of mine, a Ford F-350 with 11,500 GVWR, so I was fine, but if I were from Pennsylvania, I would be subject to that law. The other thing he said, he could stop anyone driving any RV or pulling a travel trailer that looked to be over the limit and park them if they were and didn’t have the proper license and items. A subsequent search online found travelers discussing this exact issue and to be wary of it when traveling in that state.

I hope this helps someone, anyone, avoid what we mistakenly ignored and found out the very hard way. Best wishes to you all! Be careful out there and be prepared!

Attachments

• q-hauler-truck.jpg
    q-hauler-truck.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
So I've got a Silverado 1/2 ton and my trailer weighs 3,500 lbs. From my math, I should be under 10,000lbs. Am I good? I've got team and sponsor logos on the trailer but have never been stopped.
Winged Wheel: we can't say if you are ok for sure. Look inside your door for your factory vehicle tag showing your truck's GVWR. Internet is saying it should be 6,500 to 7,200*lbs. You also need to look at the official tag on your trailer for its GVWR. If it is 3,500 lb and the Internet is correct for the truck. You are either under by 1 lb or over by a bit. Best wishes.

First, he said, since my truck was over 10,000 lb GVWR, I need a CDL just to drive my truck, so I couldn’t even unhook the trailer and leave. As it turns out, my operator’s license in Ohio gives me full legal permission to drive a vehicle the size of mine, a Ford F-350 with 11,500 GVWR, so I was fine, but if I were from Pennsylvania, I would be subject to that law

You can buy ford super duties with the GVWR listed at exactly 10,000lb for that reason.

Hello DR, based on our discussion with the Federal DOT, you would be incorrect with this assertion. It is not the act of making money. It is the opportunity to do so, which they define as engaging in commerce. I'm sure it is left broad, but specific for that reason. Best wishes.

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
You can buy ford super duties with the GVWR listed at exactly 10,000lb for that reason.
Hello Untraceable, you are correct with that assertion. The truck is not an issue for me as I shared and when combining it with a trailer that has a GVWR of 16,600+ lbs, the point is mute anyway, but especially when you need the additional truck GVWR for the pin weight of the trailer, passengers, auxiliary tank, etc., etc. I'm sure you get it.

I believe by law, a 1/2 ton truck must be under 8500 GVWR
You may be right here. Regardless, they go by combined weight for tow vehicle and what is being towed.

Thanks. Best wishes!

Last edited:
From what I have heard, if you have "not for hire" somewhere on the trailer you are okay.
Hello Winged Wheel, this assertion is incorrect. We have and have always had "NOT FOR HIRE" on the trailer. While we should have it on there since we are not transporting/hauling for others, it did not impact or alleviate the remaining requirements of the Federal DOT. Best wishes!

Last edited:
..... If your total GVWR is 10,001 lbs or more, then you are subject to a number of commercial registration requirements. If your total GVWR is 26,001 lbs or more, then you are also required to have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), which includes drug testing, medical card, and the keeping of a driving log book.....

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a DOT# and you are private, travel interstate, you need a medical card and your vehicle needs inspected yearly. If you travel father than your 150 mile rule, you need a log book?

Not to take away from the risk factor, but we're hearing about the extreme examples of when the hammer dropped on a few people. Obviously if you have a F350 and you're pulling a fully wrapped 44 ft. gooseneck trailer across the country, you're a bigger target, literally. Has anyone besides Rub managed to haul around without getting harassed? I'd bet 50%+ of competitors using trailers are in the 14'-20' range and could probably get away with just their logo for the 5-15 contests the majority are doing (many in-state). Again, not to say the risk isn't there, but I bet the silent majority of folks with a logo on their trailer rarely, if ever, have been stopped. It's probably not as scary as it sounds....

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Back