Picanha w/Chimichurri a la Moose!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
So, the picanha was in the cards since I ordered it from WF last week, however the Chimichurri was an add-on after seeing that wonderful thread about favorite...erm...threads!

So, I have never made chimichurri, never tasted chimichurri. Honestly I don't know WTF I was doing, lol. I followed Moose's recipe to a T. Let it set in fridge for 5 hours. Not sure If I added enough parsley (a whole 'bunch') or if I put too much oil in, etc...I was worried I made it to runny
53328522188_591da1909d_b.jpg

A beautiful CAB picanha. A little on the thin side, and the fat cap a bit scalped on one end, but still a good looking hunk o meat.
53328522193_1fea609c29_b.jpg

So I salted and let it sit in fridge for 2 hours, then added the rest (just Montreal steak) after words, and bit of oil
53328643159_6a6ca689a7_b.jpg

Meat and fire...need I say more?
53328301376_5fef22feca_b.jpg

Good sear and great flavor as usual with Picanha
53327428602_b597fb0a9d_b.jpg

My most basic plate of meat and potatoes, drizzled with the chimichurri. I gotta say, I like it a lot. Dare I say, I liked it even more on the potatoes!
53328521888_a2d152ee91_b.jpg

Chimichurri is definitely in the rotation now and will see what else we can use it with. Thanks for looking!

Steak looks nicely done. I have yet to see this cut available in my area, but i been thinking about this... I dont like the fat cap on a NY strip because of that gristle line between the muscle and the fat, so i always cut it off. I am not sure i would even like this cut no matter how the fat cap cooked.

Steak looks nicely done. I have yet to see this cut available in my area, but i been thinking about this... I dont like the fat cap on a NY strip because of that gristle line between the muscle and the fat, so i always cut it off. I am not sure i would even like this cut no matter how the fat cap cooked.

Trim the fat to 1/4" and try that on picanha steaks. If slicing for sandwiches cut it off like I did for our son's wedding reception.

Trim the fat to 1/4" and try that on picanha steaks. If slicing for sandwiches cut it off like I did for our son's wedding reception.

Thats what i do with ribeyes but there isn't a gristle line in them, or if there is is very thin. Does Picanha have a gristle line inbetween the fat cap and the muscle?

Very nicely done and timely since a new Brazilian grocery store opened nearby and Picanha was on sale. We shopped there yesterday while on our walk. I've never made Picanha but now have some nice steaks for the grill. Looks like Chimichurri will be on the menu as well.

Thanks for the post, Adam. It all looks so good.

Back