THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I only get back burn if I cook low and slow. Seems if I keep it 250 or hotter I don't get back burn. But if I cook at say 200 or below I will get some smoke out the hopper but goes away if I turn the temp up a little. Also seems to only happen once in a great while on the back burn. Not an every cook problem. My biggest concern is the fan stopping and causing some black soot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I usually cook on the 1300 2-3 times a week and I got it when they first started shipping them out. Out of that entire time I have maybe experienced back burn maybe 4-5 times so it's not my biggest worry. Just want a clean burn is my gripe

My 850 seems to be working fine since the V.03 update. Super smoked a rib-eye and reverse seared it, came out great. A few high temp grills came out very well with the grill recovering fast after flipping burgers. I'm starting to like the 850 again...

My latest Timberline 1300 Update

Well here is my latest update. Purchased the 1300 from a Taeger Platinum Dealer out of Austin, Texas (Thank you Jesus). I had cronic burn back, started getting more and more soot issues, fan issues, and the list goes on and on. They finally said it needed to be replaced. They handled this on my behalf with Traeger and their Traegar Rep. They delivered the new 1300 unit today, setup and ready to season even though I live about 80 miles away. Very appreciative of that.

I setup the app and wifi, primed the auger and the grease trap, turned up to 500 degrees and hit ignite with the lid open. Once it began to smoke I closed the lid and let it go for 45 minutes as per instructions. It got up to 441 and was continuing to climb when I shut it down. Super clean cook with the grates still silver and not black, and no burn back at all even during the shutdown process. This was a big deal to me since I got burn back at low temperatures and during the shutdown process just about every time on the old grill. With that being said, I'm happy with the new grill so far. I will keep you updated as time goes on. I will say this. I was told that the Traeger Rep said they are having issues with approximately 2 out of every 10 Timberlines sold. I don't know if that is just the 1300 model or includes the 850 as well. Maybe those of us that have had problems are the 20%'ers. I'm glad they are doing everything they can to make it right even though the Platimum Dealer (BBQ Outfitters) probably had a lot to do with that. Hope this information helps. Happy Grilling.:-D

Well here is my latest update. Purchased the 1300 from a Taeger Platinum Dealer out of Austin, Texas (Thank you Jesus). I had cronic burn back, started getting more and more soot issues, fan issues, and the list goes on and on. They finally said it needed to be replaced. They handled this on my behalf with Traeger and their Traegar Rep. They delivered the new 1300 unit today, setup and ready to season even though I live about 80 miles away. Very appreciative of that.

I setup the app and wifi, primed the auger and the grease trap, turned up to 500 degrees and hit ignite with the lid open. Once it began to smoke I closed the lid and let it go for 45 minutes as per instructions. It got up to 441 and was continuing to climb when I shut it down. Super clean cook with the grates still silver and not black, and no burn back at all even during the shutdown process. This was a big deal to me since I got burn back at low temperatures and during the shutdown process just about every time on the old grill. With that being said, I'm happy with the new grill so far. I will keep you updated as time goes on. I will say this. I was told that the Traeger Rep said they are having issues with approximately 2 out of every 10 Timberlines sold. I don't know if that is just the 1300 model or includes the 850 as well. Maybe those of us that have had problems are the 20%'ers. I'm glad they are doing everything they can to make it right even though the Platimum Dealer (BBQ Outfitters) probably had a lot to do with that. Hope this information helps. Happy Grilling.:-D

Great news for T owners!!! :)

I'm not sure I'd be drinking it's only 20% Kool Aid but to each their own.

Reginal S replied:
Hi xxxx,

Thank you for contacting Traeger! My name is xxxxx and I may be able to offer some insight on why your grill is running hot.

I’ve seen many Timberline 850’s run hot, exactly like yours. The common denominator seems to be the V.01.01.03 update. Timberline 1300’s were not able to reach and hold temperature prior to the update. Since the update, 1300’s are now able to hit & hold temperature, but now 850’s run too hot. I have been collecting information on this problem and getting it sent to our development team. I do not have a date when this will be resolved at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

If there is anything else that we can do to assist you please don’t hesitate to let us know. Thank you for choosing Traeger!

All the best,

xxxxxxxx

In addition to my initial problems such as not being able to make a droid phone app talk to the grill (had to use the wife's iPhone, then the droids came online) my grill can maintain a low temperature suitable for smoking.

I have a 16 day old 850 that set on 165 runs 240 so it's totally useless for smoking or super smoking. As you can see in the above email Traeger knows about it and doesn't have a solution at this time.

Last Monday I contacted the dealer where I bought my grill from and he said I could return it. Through some emails with Traeger last week I thought we were making progress and I put off returning it. After cooking steaks two nights in a row this weekend, I'm calling the dealer to make sure the return offer is still on the table because that dealer is two hours each way from me (the closest one to me!).

I sold a Pro 22 to a friend before I bought this grill so I may or may not replace it with a Pro 34.

I'm not sure I'd be drinking it's only 20% Kool Aid but to each their own.

In addition to my initial problems such as not being able to make a droid phone app talk to the grill (had to use the wife's iPhone, then the droids came online) my grill can maintain a low temperature suitable for smoking.

I have a 16 day old 850 that set on 165 runs 240 so it's totally useless for smoking or super smoking. As you can see in the above email Traeger knows about it and doesn't have a solution at this time.

Last Monday I contacted the dealer where I bought my grill from and he said I could return it. Through some emails with Traeger last week I thought we were making progress and I put off returning it. After cooking steaks two nights in a row this weekend, I'm calling the dealer to make sure the return offer is still on the table because that dealer is two hours each way from me (the closest one to me!).

I sold a Pro 22 to a friend before I bought this grill so I may or may not replace it with a Pro 34.

Traeger needs to realize there is not a "one size fits all" fix for both the 850's and 1300's. They need to come up with a way to push software updates to either individually. The thermal mass characteristics of the two are not the same. It takes less BTU's to bring a 850 up to temp than a 1300. Hopefully they will have a way to do this in the near future otherwise they are going to be fighting issues the whole life cycle of the product.

What is the difference between the 850 and 1300 in terms of BTU output. Does the 1300 have a bigger firepot, faster auger motor, no restrictor rod?

It seems like the 1300 is a big heavy unit but the firepot looks about the same size as my older lil Tex.

They are the same as far as I know.

Whatcha gonna replace it with?

I think I missed this question. Simple answer is I don't know. I still have my Cookshack FEC100 (which I was going to sell, but haven't, thank goodness) and a Kamado Joe Big Joe. If they eventually allow me to return the Traeger I may just keep using the FEC after I put it all back together or sell it as well and get something else. I would love to get a Yoder YS1500, but the price is a little too steep for me right now. More than Likely I'd end up back with a Yoder YS640.

Traeger has shipped me a new control unit (Basically everything new except the body) and it should be here this week. I'll see how that works and if I am still not satisfied then i'll press them for a return. That or it will go up on Craigslist.

My dad showed up this morning with sausage he bought so I told him I'd go home (I live a mile from work) and smoke them for him. Since it was 68 and raining here in N. GA this morning, when set on 165 the smoker peaked at 191. In order to maintain 220-225, I had the smoker set at 190. Unfortunately, we're months away from it being in the 60's at in the afternoon.

It sounds like they don't have model profiles in their firmware. GMG made a lot of advancements in this area and also allowing the customer to fine tune the firmware:

1. Has a HOT/COOL weather profile.
2. Allows adjusting the temperature offset (Actual vs. Set-Point)

I also believe their firmware architecture is unique to each of their smokers. I'm still waiting on Traeger to call me. I was told last week that someone from HQ would be contacting me. IMO if they can fix the recovery issue and soot in super smoke, I'd be a happy camper.

I think I missed this question. Simple answer is I don't know. I still have my Cookshack FEC100 (which I was going to sell, but haven't, thank goodness) and a Kamado Joe Big Joe. If they eventually allow me to return the Traeger I may just keep using the FEC after I put it all back together or sell it as well and get something else. I would love to get a Yoder YS1500, but the price is a little too steep for me right now. More than Likely I'd end up back with a Yoder YS640.

Traeger has shipped me a new control unit (Basically everything new except the body) and it should be here this week. I'll see how that works and if I am still not satisfied then i'll press them for a return. That or it will go up on Craigslist.

bproffer - As a fellow FEC-100 owner, I'm just curious what pushed you to go with a new/different pellet smoker? Urge for something new? Liked your Yoder better? I've had my FEC-100 for almost four years now, and the only issue I have is that most of the time it's way too big for what I'm doing at home. The food quality is excellent and I've had zero issues with the controller, soot, etc.

I wonder if someone like Savannah stoker will get involved down the road and build a Controller for the timberline. While it seems like the Timberline is leaps ahead of the older models they are still suggesting a lid open start up which means the controller is running 100% duty cycle for a set amount of time so the lid open allows for excess fuel burn off after start sequence.

With my SS controller I start lid closed and watch it slowly come up to set temp with little to no overshoot. Maybe Traeger is still using fuzzy logic vs a PID.

bproffer - As a fellow FEC-100 owner, I'm just curious what pushed you to go with a new/different pellet smoker? Urge for something new? Liked your Yoder better? I've had my FEC-100 for almost four years now, and the only issue I have is that most of the time it's way too big for what I'm doing at home. The food quality is excellent and I've had zero issues with the controller, soot, etc.

I used the FEC-100 primarily for catering and some personal use. But now that I am no longer catering, it is overkill. It is an older model that originally had the old Traeger controller before they came out with the IQ series controller. I couldn't swallow the $1.5-$2k price tag they have on the upgrade kit to add the IQ controller, so I ordered a Blazin Grill Works PID controller for $200 and adapted it to the FEC. It works great. About a year ago I took it apart to do a deep cleaning but haven't gotten around to re-assembling it yet. But to answer the question...1. I like new toys 2. I figured if the Traeger worked out I could seel the FEC and free up some patio space. 3. Yes, I have liked the flavor of the food that came off of the Yoder better than both the FEC and the Traeger.

Tried cold smoking some beef before searing, I couldn't get the grill below 200, it was set at 175. working on it for over an hour. Disappointment continues, calling the Traeger rep tomorrow...

Mine will cook at 165 all day long as well as 500*. Only problem I am having is soot when super smoke is on. My fillets I like medium rare and will cook them at 175-185* for 3-3.5 hours until center hits 130* on my tappacue then I will raise temps to 250* until center gets 142-145 and it's perfect medium rare and has the smoke ring I like on my steaks. That's the reason I got into pellet smokers cause you can smoke low and slow

New here, came from a Dave Klose stick burner now have an 850. It seemed to work fine before any software upgrades. Was some soot on the bottom of the heat baffle and grease drain pan. None inside the grill other than those spots. I used super smoke quite a bit. Maintained temps really well.

Since .03, haven't used it a lot. When I have used it with the new software it had a hard time maintaining temp when I turned it down from 300 to 225. dropped to 180-190 and stayed in that range. No problem when I start at 225, maintains that pretty consistently. Also, turning the temp up from 225 to 300 was fine. Just going the other way seems to be a problem.

I will be doing some Andouille and Baby backs this week. I will be cooking the sausage at 165 with super smoke. We'll see how that goes.

awful

I've tried to add reviews with pictures on several websites that sell this grill including Williams Sanoma. None of them will print it.

Here is what I wrote with pictures and videos.

Awful Experience
I was so excited to buy my new Timberline 1300 great size, great design. Well I have been very disappointed from day one. The directions say to turn the temperature to 500 degrees in order to season the grill. The grill could never get close to that and it got full of black soot. and smoke came out of the hopper. Then that began a series of calls and emails. They told me I would have to change the thermocouple, then the fan, then take the frame that holds the fan off. Then there were 2 firmware updates Every week end instead of enjoying my brand new grill I was making repairs and there's absolutely no one who works for Traeger that finds this unreasonable. This weekend I was told maybe my auger is too long and I should grind it down. I told the rep I didn't know how to that and she told me to find someone in my area who can. This is absurd what a nightmare.

Back