Headin' to Houston

sknabnoj

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jon
I'll be in the north Houston area in a few months. I've never been to Texas and I would love to try some "quintessential" Texas BBQ. Any iconic BBQ in that area or within a little bit of a drive that I should try?

Someone local will be by to help you shortly.
The only BBQ joint I can think of near there is Killen's.
They have three locations around Houston and one is to the North.

I would love to hear what the locals have to say. I know that several new places have popped up since I've been last and it seems to be developing nicely. I've been to Killen's three times, and although their brisket is good, it is not as good as what I've typically had in the Austin area. I thought their pork belly was outstanding. Certainly I would not turn down Killen's, but I'd like to know other current options.

Wish I could help. Been in the Sugar Land area (SW of Houston) a few times and unfortunately, my then boss was not a BBQ afficionado, or just wasn't willing to take me.

all in all, not the Texas experience I was expecting. So if you DO find something, please share! :D

OK, I misread the post, not looking for the best, but quintessential Texas BBQ. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Rudy's. For those who don't know, Rudy's is a Texas chain BBQ that doubles as a gas station. I've been to several myself -- there are minor differences in the product, but I've always had at least decent BBQ, not the best in Texas, but far from the worst. I'd say it is quintessential. The nice thing is that you don't have a huge investment in time or in money. I've stopped at Rudy's after going out to fancy dinner events and had a much more satisfying second dinner. The brisket is generally cooked pretty well. The major issue for me is they go a bit light on the seasoning. I would say that Rudy's is the quintessential Texas BBQ and I would go one step further and pose the question if you haven't eaten at Rudy's, then have you really actually experienced Texas BBQ? In any case, you should plan to stop at Rudy's sometime just to check it off your bucket list. These other BBQ joints' popularity will come and go, but Rudy's is eternal.

I'm about 40 miles or so south of Houston on SH 288. I severely detest going to Houston! And what used to be sleepy little bitty towns, between us and H'town have grown tremendously and you can't tell where they end and Houston begins.

As said, there are some Killens in the area, one just north of us in Pearland. Because of their rep, I went. Had the worst, overpriced BBQ ever!
Sorry but since I do not like the "town" I have no recommendations.
PS, If you have some free time, call me, 979-313-0541 and we can at least sit on the front porch and have some cold Shiner Bock!

Been to Houston about a dozen times for work. Was disappointed at all the BBQ I've tried. Now I just get Tex-Mex. Find a Pappasito's Cantina, there are a few north of the 8 loop. The grilled quail appetizer is awesome. That said I do have a few spots saved in my Google Maps, but they are mostly near downtown and I haven't tried any of them so...

Roegels Barbecue Co
Feges BBQ
Truth BBQ
Gatlin's BBQ

Burns Original BBQ is pretty legit place. I’d recommend going for lunch as it’s a rough neighborhood-at least it was 15 years ago.

Back