Tips/tricks for Jealous Devil

Michigan BBQ Fan

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Scott
HI BBQ Brethren,

Look what arrived...

2igdnqx.jpg

I'm excited...yet...a bit nervous to use Jealous Devil. I've yet to venture into the "gourmet" charcoal area yet. I typically will use GFS house-brand, Stubb's...and..in the past..Cowboy.

I've had mixed results with the "Minon Method." Lately I have been using a variation from Harry Soo (Slap Yo' Daddy) and his advice pushed me towards finally trying out Jealous Devil. Henry puts hardwood chunks in the bottom of the WSM covered with unlit lump, leaves space in center and dumps in lit lump from a starter.

Has anyone used Jealous Devil?
Any tips?
Any tips on using it in a "Minon Method" style?
Should I use less than "normal"?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
Happy Smokin'

I'm interested in this too because Jealous Devil isn't cheap. Putting wood chunks under the coal is supposed to make the wood smolder instead of catching on fire and burning quickly but I'm not sure it makes a big difference.

I recently finished my first bag of it. It is very dense lump and lasts longer than a lighter lump like Royal Oak. I didn't really use it any differently than any other lump charcoal. I didn't try it on my WSM but used it in an Big Green Egg and my Humphreys Weekender cabinet. If you've used Fogo or Wicked Good Weekend Warrior (at least a few years ago before they switched suppliers), it is similar. In my one bag of experience with it, it burns a long time and generates very little ash. I'll probably reserve it for usage on my long cooks and use my cheaper lump for the hotter/shorter cooks.

Back