THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
Was on the Home Depot site looking to order RO lump. One of the selections is a 35 lb bag of Jealous Devil for $48. It says it’s South American hardwood. I’ve never seen it mentioned. Wonder if anyone has any experience with it. I’m also curious if it’s a by product of the Amazon deforestation. Thanks in advance!

I am not sure of its origins. I have used it and like it a lot. It burns hot and clean.
Issue is its expensive compared to other lumps. 1 bag of JD is like $32 on amazon.
I can but Royal Oak for $13 at home depot.
While I truly prefer Jealous Devil its cost prohibitive.

It's my favorite lump and about the only thing I use anymore. From their website: https://jealousdevil.com/our-story/

No rainforests are harmed to produce our products. Jealous Devil exclusively sources wood that has already been harvested sustainably and is in compliance with all regulations. We’re also actively reinvesting into our own production to reduce our carbon footprint and move towards FSC certification.

I like using it a lot, locally at a hardware store I can get it for $26-28 per 20lb bag. I caught 20 lb bags of FOGO on sale on their website. Also signed up for their email list and got another 10-15% off. Haven't used it yet since I'm finishing a couple of bags of B&B and Jealous Devil.

I am not sure of its origins. I have used it and like it a lot. It burns hot and clean.
Issue is its expensive compared to other lumps. 1 bag of JD is like $32 on amazon.
I can but Royal Oak for $13 at home depot.
While I truly prefer Jealous Devil its cost prohibitive.

Royal oak is cheap because it's mostly scrap wood.

I got a > 1 lb hunk of rock/hardened clay/something not charcoal in my last 15lb bag. That combined with about 20% of the bag being unusable powder and small chunks (which I realize is blamed to some degree on the way the shipment/product is handled) I probably will not be buying Royal Oak anymore.

I've heard good things about Jealous Devil, I'll have to try a bag. I like Rockwood Charcoal, really high quality stuff, and made in Missouri.

Once go devil , hard to go back ....cleanest burn in the charcoal game. When you add your wood you taste your flavor of wood in your meat ....what i love about it dosnt have its own over powering taste....but try it ! dont just take my word ....blue bag will never be in my smoker again ......

Agreed..but still pretty darn good for $13

It is. But I got tired of finding rocks, and pieces of tin and other metal in bags of it.

$12.99 for 15.44lbs of it at Home Depot.

$15.99 for 20lbs of B&B All Natural Oak Hardwood Lump at ACE Hardware..

I switched to B&B for the most part.

I also have some B&B Lump logs. These work out great and burn for a long time. Lot of ash with them though. If I use them, I'll typically place them on top of a bed of burning lump pieces.

Also have some Kamado Joe Big Block Lump Charcoal that I've gotten excellent results with as well.

It is made from Guayacan, Guayaibi, Quebracho Blanco woods as opposed to scrap.

Nice, big hunks of it, you don't get a lot of chips and dust, with it. Nor scrap metal and rocks with it like you can get with Royal Oak.

WbiSKP5l.jpg

t4vO06Il.jpg

This is two pieces of it. My hands aren't small. This are typical pieces found in the bags I bought. The smaller pieces in the bottom of the bag, are still good sized. The small pieces in the last pic are the smallest pieces from the bottom portion of a used up bag. The big piece in the burning pic was one random piece taken from out of the top of a new bag.

RmBn2tel.jpg

1LOkNcGl.jpg

At $25.00 for 20lbs, it's not as cheap as Royal Oak. But not as expensive as Jealous Devil, FOGO, and some of the other higher end lump charcoal.

Last edited:
Back