Tip on Auberin controller

MattOphotog

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
A couple of years ago I bought an Auberin's controller for my WSM grill. I used it 10 or so times, and then one of the pins broke out of the plug in. I emailed their support and explained the issue to them. Asked if I could buy a new power supply cord. I was flat out told no, I could buy a whole new unit, but they didn't sell parts for it. So I put it away kind of disgusted with the whole situation.

I've done several overnight smokes without one, and have had decent luck keeping things going, but I still had to get up every few hours to check on it. I finally decided I was going to order a new controller and was looking around. I pulled out my old Auberin's controller and played with the cord a bit, and actually found a part number on the plug in. A quick google(not sure why I never did this before) turns up that the same Part number is used for Closed Circuit TV camera power supplies. They are available through amazon for less than $10. So I ordered one, it came in today, has a longer cord than the one that came with my controller originally, which I admit is very nice. And it works beautifully. It's the same part with a longer cord, and I'm back in business.

Moral of the story, when the company won't sell you one, google the part number on it and I bet it also fits something else. Like mine. So for $10 I'm back in business with my controller.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Regulated-Adapter-Security-Surveillance/dp/B000VQDMTO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00"]Amazon.com: VideoSecu AC to DC 12V 1000mA 1A CCTV Regulated Power Supply Adapter for Home Security Camera Surveillance System PW121A 1AP: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411PRttIDcL.@@AMEPARAM@@411PRttIDcL[/ame]

You are correct Marty, when I was looking I wasn't even considering another Auberin. Simply because customer service is lost on them. I wasn't asking for something for free, I was asking to purchase it. They only wanted to sell me the whole thing. They certainly lost a customer.

But so others don't have the same problem and have to buy a whole new unit, I thought I'd share my findings, to help save others some money.

Yes it is, funny they wouldn't sell it to me via email or over the phone, and now it's on their website. The only difference I see is they specify it's for SYL-1615 and mine is an SYL-1613. They also have a rechargable battery pack that specifies for the 1615, and an email to them has gone unanswered.

The one I got from Amazon has a much longer cord on it though. And it's $3.00 cheaper.

I searched through my email, and this is what I was told via their Service rep Kane.

Based on our records, you have ordered 1 x SYL-1613SYS-10CFM (previous model for SYL-1615) in
8/9/2011, and now it is already passed its warranty. If you like, you can ship it back to us for repair, and you need to pay both shipping cost and repair cost.

I couldn't order a new part, but could pay shipping both directions and cost to repair since it was out of warranty.

Back