Time to Smoke some meat

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
So its been awhile since a large cook has gone on. I got 2 pork picnic roasts, a pork butt, and a Brisket. Yep I got a brisket and probably the first one since maybe 2020.
Going to be making corn pudding as well. My wife is making some other sides as well. She made a cake as well.
Today is Robyn's birthday and we got about 20-22 people coming for a birthday party in the newly renovated backyard. I was installing new deck post caps last night in the dark to finish up the repairs to the deck.
Had a bit of a setback with the pool with over doing the chlorine so lucky we found a pool guy that had a chemical that actually dropped the chlorine levels back down to safe levels. Just going to be more careful the next time.
So new patio, small swimming pool with filter, climbing dome, and the kids have their swing set. Should be good. Party is 6pm tonight.
Plus we have a solo stove bonfire that I got for my birthday we are going to be using tonight to have a camp fire out back.
I will get pictures and post them later. Going to be a good day.
Hard to believe Robyn turns 7 today. I really am lucky to have the kids I do and I can't wait to celebrate tonight.

Happy birthday Robyn! (and make sure daddy doesn't burn anything :wink:)
Hope you all have a safe and great evening.

Happy birthday Robyn! (and make sure daddy doesn't burn anything :wink:)
Hope you all have a safe and great evening.

don't worry about me burning anything. Now hurting myself well might need to worry there. I already slice my finger tip pretty deep. My wife wanted me to go get stitches. Electrical tape and paper towels is good. I did eventually get real bandages lol. I had a super sized finger for a bit until my wife got back from the store.

don't worry about me burning anything. Now hurting myself well might need to worry there. I already slice my finger tip pretty deep. My wife wanted me to go get stitches. Electrical tape and paper towels is good. I did eventually get real bandages lol. I had a super sized finger for a bit until my wife got back from the store.

That sounds a lot like me, right down to the makeshift bandages.

You do know that super glue will close up a slice (after bleeding stops)?
Ed

Yeah I have heard that. I believe it was developed during WW2 but was used during the Vietnam War for that. You do not want to use the stuff from the hardware store though. Just saying it can cause problems. There are 2 types and one is for medical use and one is not. Although, I would bet the hardware store stuff would work in a pinch. Not giving advice to do so just saying I would bet it would work but again it may cause trouble.
https://www.healthline.com/health/super-glue-on-cuts

sorry no food pics. Kind of went fast as it was coming off the smoker people were lined up. Really good day though and the brisket imo was one of the best I have cooked.

"Corn Pudding"..... color me intrigued. Details or a link???

Let me see if I can find a recipe that is similar to what I use. I got it from a comp class a number of years ago from Three Eyz Bbq.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/corn-pudding-recipe-2104031
try this one and double the recipe. this is as close as you can get without me publishing the recipe I was taught. Very little difference.
Only 2 ingredients difference. Honestly, I doubt it will make that much of a difference.
I would sub a dry rub of your choice in place of the salt and pepper. It will taste better.
Now your within one ingredient. This will get you in the ballpark for sure and doubt it will be real different.
Corn Pudding is a crowd pleaser for sure. First time folks see it if they have never had it or heard of it will not try it right away. Takes a number of parties to get them use to something called corn pudding. My wife said to call it corn casserole instead but I told her no because that is not what it is.
I am from Western PA and this not something I have seen anyone else make around here. So at first no one would eat it.

Back