This might be the first year i don't cook a Turkey

Itsdone

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
bob
It's almost 7 days away and there is no Turkey deals. Usually there is $0.69/lb with 200 points or free with 400 points. Now im only seeing free with 400 and i only have 225 points. They want $1.99/lb for store brand, $3.49/lb for butterball or w/e. No freaking way. Im not paying more then $0.99/lb no matter what brand.

Ham it is this year. First time ever i just serve Ham.

There are deals here for $0.79/lb on frozen birds with a $25 min purchase at supermarkets but I personally don't like frozen birds. Costco has fresh Butterballs for $0.99 so I know where I'm getting mine. Not sure if you have a Costco close enough.

There are deals here for $0.79/lb on frozen birds with a $25 min purchase at supermarkets but I personally don't like frozen birds. Costco has fresh Butterballs for $0.99 so I know where I'm getting mine. Not sure if you have a Costco close enough.

I do have a costco, but they don't carry brisket packers so i refuse to pay for a membership. It wouldn't even surprise me if they only sold Turkey breasts. LOL

I am not even joking. I went back there a few months ago just to see if they started carrying them since they opened up like 4 years ago, lol, but nope, only Choice Flats for $5.99/lb :shocked:

I even asked the Meat Manager and he told me he couldn't order Whole Packers because corporate didn't give them a SKU.

Costco Address: 791 N Krocks Rd, Allentown, PA 18106

Phone: (484) 273-7056

Please call them and harass them, lol

Last edited:
I would love a $0.79/lb Turkey with a $25 purchase because i spend that just on Thanksgiving sides. But so far no grocery stores are offering it. I need atleast 7 days to thaw a frozen Turkey.

Growing up several times we had Cornish Game Hens. It was pretty cool. Mom made it look like we each had our own miniature turkey. I swear Mom could put a cookbook presentation on a tablespoon cottage cheese.

Well I have heard of several good deals, I am on the fence as to how I want to cook 1 this year, my last day of a real job is Friday, rifle season opens Saturday lol. I turn 62 the 22, daughter inlaw has most of the other stuff covered, if I could find 1 not injected, I would like to do a brine, some years its tough, I can still brine 1 but I get very little added flavor unless I inject. got plenty of time as long as I find 1 not frozen, might start the search Monday,

The best deal here is store brand frozen $.49 lb or fresh $.98, Frozen butterball $1.49.

during covid we had beer and pizza for t-giving, watched football all day in our jammies.

this year, we're just doing turkey breast with a couple sides and callin it a day. we also bought a small boars head ham. gonna be a simple meal this year.

We are not cooking this year. If I was I usually go to a turkey farm for a fresh bird A little pricey but really good. Going to my sons and D-I-L for T Day. They are ordering 2 Turkey Dinners from a store- Market Basket. No easy clean up. There will be a fairly large gathering

Both The Jewels (Albertsons) & Marianos (Kroger) have frozen Jenni-O for .59 & Butterball for .99 with a $25 purchase. Also choice rib roasts for $5.99/lb. I'll probably cook a Texas style breast.

Both The Jewels (Albertsons) & Marianos (Kroger) have frozen Jenni-O for .59 & Butterball for .99 with a $25 purchase. Also choice rib roasts for $5.99/lb. I'll probably cook a Texas style breast.
Same. I'm doing two Texas style breasts. When my mom passed my sister picked up the torch and likes to host every year. About 10yrs ago I started bringing the turkey but there is so much other stuff that the obligatory turkey is no longer the star. The multiple casseroles and roast steal the show. The breast from a whole bird would always be gone but nobody messed with the wings and legs except me. A lot would be wasted. The turkey breast has been a hit for some time now and is preferred. No carving, It'll already be sliced in a butter bath when I get there.

we got ours from BJs for the same price. I've settled on butterball as my go to commodity bird.

we got ours from BJs for the same price. I've settled on butterball as my go to commodity bird.

I totally agree on fresh Butterball. It's been my go to for the past few years. Dang near perfect birds for commodity and I've even done freshly slaughtered birds from a farm. No noticeable difference for me.

during covid we had beer and pizza for t-giving, watched football all day in our jammies.

this year, we're just doing turkey breast with a couple sides and callin it a day. we also bought a small boars head ham. gonna be a simple meal this year.

I’m sorry, but beer and pizza, watching football all all day, in Jammies sounds really “thankful”, and perfect to me…..

.49 cents for frozen bird here on Long Island. $6 for a 12 pound gobbler is hard to turn down.
As for being frozen , spice and smoke can do wonders.

When I was growing up many of the Italian kids in my neighborhood had lasagna for Thanksgiving. It was way better that the bone dry turkeys many of the other kids had to suffer through.

Have lasagna!

Can you postpone your gathering until Saturday? I know people who do that so they can buy everything on sale.

I totally agree on fresh Butterball. It's been my go to for the past few years. Dang near perfect birds for commodity and I've even done freshly slaughtered birds from a farm. No noticeable difference for me.

I did fresh local turkeys for a couple years but went back to fresh butterball last year. You don’t have to do anything to it and it comes out perfect.

We got enough points for a discount fresh butterball on Sunday, so we asked the butcher when they were coming in. We are regular shoppers at the store so the butcher got out the order book and will hold a ~12 Lb. hen for us to pick up next Tuesday.

My thoughts…expecting to pay $.69/lb retail for an animal that I’m going to eat, with at least one if not two middleman involved, in this day and age, is probably not an animal I want to eat.

But…I’m not surprised.

Back