There's something about a Hanger Steak!

Nope, but it's close:

From WikiP:

Anatomically speaking, the hanger steak is the crura, or legs, of the diaphragm. The steak is said to "hang" from the diaphragm of the heifer or steer.[2] The diaphragm is one muscle, commonly cut into two separate cuts of meat: the hanger steak, traditionally considered more flavorful, and the outer skirt steak, composed of tougher muscle from the dome of the diaphragm. The hanger is attached to the last rib and to the front of several of the lumbar vertebrae. The right side is larger and stronger than the left.

I first heard of a Hanger on this site. The French call it "Onglet" Tony Bourdains' Les Halles cook book as a recipe for it.

I looked around for it for a long time before I found one here. Like brisket and tri tip, it was something Aussie butchers had no clue about until about 7 years ago... or they weren't telling.

When a steer is slaughtered, the Hanger comes out with the Offal... The Pluck, so to speak and for our markets in Australia, it just went along with the rest of the offal to those that would buy that and turn it into whatever they turn it into....as opposed to the skirt, which stays with the carcass.

I bought the first Hanger steak from Cape Grimm at about $8.00 a kilo. Now it's $30.00! In my opinion though, it is worth every cent. Treat it like the best eye fillet you can get. Must be served rare!

Cheers!

Bill, you did that Hanger Steak righteous justice!

I did a Hanger Steak cook quite a while ago:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125656

The one thing to be watchful of is the tough connective tissue that runs down the middle of a whole hanger. I remove this part and separate the hanger into two pieces.

Hi Moose... yes I was always mindful of that connective tissue. The first time I did a Hanger steak I separated it like you did. After that, I never did. To be honest, this time we just ate the lot. It did not seem to be an issue!

Maybe just something about that Cape Grimm stuff!

Now you done it
I went to you IGA this morning and got stuck with one of the butchers
I have supermarket envy:thumb:
bit similiar to Hawthorn and Brunswick.
got some Hanger and odds and ends, parkings a pain

I think we call them Flatirons in the Southern USA.

8bPj40n.jpg

QCLDcaE.jpg

Ii5zPQf.jpg

Not sure though.

Now you done it
I went to you IGA this morning and got stuck with one of the butchers
I have supermarket envy:thumb:
bit similiar to Hawthorn and Brunswick.
got some Hanger and odds and ends, parkings a pain

Was he that short tubby little bloke? He took me for a tour! I went in for 5 minutes and spent 40 minutes there. He talks the leg off a cow but doesn't actually know much.

I think we call them Flatirons in the Southern USA.

Not sure though.

Now, we could get seriously into the weeds talking about worldwide names for cuts of meat....

BUT. No, the Flat Iron is the flat half of an Oysterblade. Like the Hanger, or Onglet, there is a layer of silverskin running the length of the thing. The Flatiron though is part of the regular musculature up around the shoulder.

The Hanger is internal... joined to the skirt and diaphragm somehow on the inside of the ribcage

I think... :biggrin1:

Cheers!

Back