Trying some cured meats:

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces :becky:

Since it's getting bloody cold in downside up land, I booked in for a Salami course at a place close to me for a bit of a refresher. The last one I did was several years ago.

Well, I didn't learn much but went home fairly inspired to do some curing "old style". That is without Cure #2. I figured the bloke teaching the course was not dead yet, so why not!

P-20220704-171714.jpg

Started with a pork neck and a belly which I coated in plain old salt for 48 hours... as you can see here with the fluid running out to the bottom of the tray.

After 2 days it looked like this:
P-20220704-172303.jpg

I made a simple rub to coat: NO SALT! The salting is already done.
P-20220704-174533.jpg

Nicely mixed up:
P-20220704-174651.jpg

For the pork neck, which is to be copocollo I soaked collagen sheeting in red wine.
P-20220704-174750.jpg

Wrapped it up.
P-20220704-180140.jpg

Got my netting on the "bazooka" (Much harder than I thought).
P-20220704-180622.jpg

Fed it through.
P-20220704-180801.jpg

The pancetta, I just rubbed and hang it with one of my Chinese chicken hooks with a length of dowel to push the hooks apart. Pretty handy.
Both look pretty good hanging now in the shed.
P-20220704-181130.jpg

I got a thermometer / hygrometer as well just to check how it's gonna go. This is a 3 month exercise by the looks of it with daily monitoring for the wrong kind of mould. Never quite done anything like this before so I really don't know how it's going to go.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated.

Cheers!

Bill

Are you just going by feel "old school" as to when it's ready?
A lot of people take starting weight and expect to lose XX% weight and call it done.

Looks good - good luck!

Are you just going by feel "old school" as to when it's ready?
A lot of people take starting weight and expect to lose XX% weight and call it done.

Looks good - good luck!

Pretty much that's it. I weighed them after the cure. Probably should have weighed them before. In any case I will be able to tell by feel and I'm looking for approx 30-35% weight loss.

I like that chicken hook and dowel idea. Every so often I struggle with the best way to hang something. :thumb:

Had those chicken hangers forever. Was a no brainer.:idea:

Bill

Back