THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THATGUY

I know this is rookie stuff for the pros on this website, but I recently tried my hand at making my own bacon using "the Original Bacon Kit". I was at a garage sale the other day and they had "The Original Bacon Kit" for sale for a few bucks and it looked completely unopened. *Making homemade bacon was something that I had been wanting to try after reading about it for years, but had put off trying. When I found this kit, I decided to spend the dough and give it a try. *It was a super simple process and my daughter and I had fun doing it together. *The kit comes with salt, sugar, a bag for curing, a pop up thermometer, and instructions, you provide 5 lbs of pork belly. *You mix all the ingredients in a bag and then flip every other day for seven days. *After seven days you smoke it for a few hours.**The end results were pretty great and I want to try it again. *If anyone has recommendations on which salt and sugar I should get from Amazon, I am open to suggestions.

There is a more thorough account and pictures on my site, the link is in my signature block.

Bottom Line: I had a great time doing this, it was easier and less time consuming than I had imagined. You can probably do it cheaper buying the ingredients on their own, like I plan to do going forward, but the kit is a great way to start.

Because I cannot use a normal cure, I make bacon with Kosher salt and Turbinado sugar. Sometimes I will use maple sugar or brown sugar. It works great. Of course, since it is not cured, it must be smoked over 200°F, and it cannot be held without refrigeration.

Because I cannot use a normal cure, I make bacon with Kosher salt and Turbinado sugar. Sometimes I will use maple sugar or brown sugar. It works great. Of course, since it is not cured, it must be smoked over 200°F, and it cannot be held without refrigeration.

The idea of all the nitrates makes me a little nervous. I like this idea. I could split it in half and freeze half of it in a vacuum sealed bag.

Back