The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

The regular Pitts and Spitts are very durable. They have a good paint job on them from the factory, but like any non stainless steel, it can rust. I doubt it would need constant attention, and if you put mineral spirits on it regularly, you could probably avoid most of the rust, but it would be something you would have to be diligent about.

So, if you are near the coast, and it will live out in the conditions, I think either the MAK or the full Stainless Pitts and Spitts would be what I would steer towards. The Pitts and Spitts doesn't get enough attention around here. Its a damn fine smoker/grill, and I like it better than the MAK as a pure smoker. The design with pull out top and bottom racks and various sizes are about perfect. The full Stainless is pricey though (about a grand more than the MAK 2 star for an 850 model) and at that price, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger over the MAK. If you weren't by the coast and could keep it under cover, then the regular Pitts and Spitts all day long would be my choice.

I haven’t been in this thread in a long time but used to post pretty often. Thanks for everyone who chimed in my Yoder to Traeger thread.

Quarantine has given me way too much time to contemplate changing things up.

The regular Pitts and Spitts are very durable. They have a good paint job on them from the factory, but like any non stainless steel, it can rust. I doubt it would need constant attention, and if you put mineral spirits on it regularly, you could probably avoid most of the rust, but it would be something you would have to be diligent about.

So, if you are near the coast, and it will live out in the conditions, I think either the MAK or the full Stainless Pitts and Spitts would be what I would steer towards. The Pitts and Spitts doesn't get enough attention around here. Its a damn fine smoker/grill, and I like it better than the MAK as a pure smoker. The design with pull out top and bottom racks and various sizes are about perfect. The full Stainless is pricey though (about a grand more than the MAK 2 star for an 850 model) and at that price, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger over the MAK. If you weren't by the coast and could keep it under cover, then the regular Pitts and Spitts all day long would be my choice.

I think the pitts paint job is terrible. Mine rusted in a lot of spots within 2 months. A lot of the paint issues get deleted from their pages ASAP. It cooks well and is built very well but the paint is garbage.

Well, I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850. No rust. I don’t see any problems with the paint. I do keep it cover when I am not using it. I live in Florida. Lots of humidity.

I think the pitts paint job is terrible. Mine rusted in a lot of spots within 2 months. A lot of the paint issues get deleted from their pages ASAP. It cooks well and is built very well but the paint is garbage.

You got the odd one that has issues. What pages do they erase? I know Rec Tec constantly deletes stuff but never heard of Pitts and Spitts doing anything of the like.

The question of paint and rust on smokers meets us at the intersection of competing aesthetics:

One is the aesthetic of gleaming commercial kitchens, polished Weber porcelain enamel, and glossy powder coat finishes on bells-and-whistles import patio gadgets made of thin sheet metal.

The other is the aesthetic of sooty BBQ kitchens, converted propane tanks, and matt-finished stove paint on heavy, welded units you need a fork lift to move around.

If we do a little self-evaluation, I think we'll have to admit that each of us leans a little in one direction or the other, or we find ourselves straddling the fence, wishing there was a way to enjoy both--either at once, or in turn--in our backyards.

It took me years to realize exactly where I fit into this myself, and how to think about paint and rust in a way that wasn't inconsistent or fickle as related to the bigger vibe I fit into most comfortably.

Sorry for the philosophy dive.

Back to shallower waters like oak vs. hickory, fat side up . . .

The question of paint and rust on smokers meets us at the intersection of competing aesthetics:

One is the aesthetic of gleaming commercial kitchens, polished Weber porcelain enamel, and glossy powder coat finishes on bells-and-whistles import patio gadgets made of thin sheet metal.

The other is the aesthetic of sooty BBQ kitchens, converted propane tanks, and matt-finished stove paint on heavy, welded units you need a fork lift to move around.

If we do a little self-evaluation, I think we'll have to admit that each of us leans a little in one direction or the other, or we find ourselves straddling the fence, wishing there was a way to enjoy both--either at once, or in turn--in our backyards.

It took me years to realize exactly where I fit into this myself, and how to think about paint and rust in a way that wasn't inconsistent or fickle as related to the bigger vibe I fit into most comfortably.

Sorry for the philosophy dive.

Back to shallower waters like oak vs. hickory, fat side up . . .

Lots of truth in this post!

have a $1500 budget for a pellet smoker , im thinking the vertical pellet pro smoke daddy or the 36 camp chef but honestly im lost on knowledge on the pellet grills so all input is greatly appreciated

have a $1500 budget for a pellet smoker , im thinking the vertical pellet pro smoke daddy or the 36 camp chef but honestly im lost on knowledge on the pellet grills so all input is greatly appreciated

Deserving of much greater recognition is the Outlaw Smokers line. I just bought their $1500 OL450 and love it. The company website is out of date, and the latest model is better in a couple of ways. Best unique feature is the ash clean out door. Wouldn't buy a pellet cooker without it now.

Another unit you should consider is the $1600 Outlaw OL1500. Best cabinet style pellet cooker I've seen in that price range.

Made right here in Idaho.

Edit: The main two differences between these Outlaw units and import competitors: (1) 11-gauge steel walls, (2) pellet burn engineered to produce more smoke and thus come closer to results produced on a stick burner

OL1500-Train-scaled-e1583356383639.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all -
I am looking to buy a pellet grill in the near future. I have narrowed it down to P&S, MAK, or Blazin'. How durable and reliable are the P&S Grills? I know they are built like tanks but are there issues with rust, ignitors, wonky controller issues? Any pictures of a loaded up 850 showing capacity?

Priorities:
Good Food
Reliable (I don't want to have to deal with any issues or have to "hack" it to get it to work)
Well built and durable. I don't want to have sand and paint. It will live outdoors in New England near the coast so it will see snow and rain.
Smoking 90%
Grilling/Searing 10%

Food I want to cook:
Ribs, Butt, Brisket, Chickens, Turkey, Wings, Thighs, reverse sear steaks and chops. Roasts.

Prices:
P&S 850 SS all in no wifi $3375 (includes shipping)

MAK 2 Star all in with Door $3300

So close!

I have a EX BGE, WSCG, DCS Gasser, and a Cabinet Smoker.
Thanks!

I had a PS 850 as my first pellet grill as they are made 1.5 hours from me and I really admired them when I saw them in person. I sold it after a few months to buy a Mak 2 star, and have zero regrets. For your situation, the Mak would be my answer.

I posted my own thread about purchasing a pellet smoker but just came across this thread so I thought I’d post here as well. :biggrin1:

Recteq RT-700

Si0GiQr.jpg

I had a PS 850 as my first pellet grill as they are made 1.5 hours from me and I really admired them when I saw them in person. I sold it after a few months to buy a Mak 2 star, and have zero regrets. For your situation, the Mak would be my answer.

What is it about the MAK you prefer to the Pitts? Just curious.

What is it about the MAK you prefer to the Pitts? Just curious.

A few things really. The main thing I disliked in the P&S vs the Mak was the heat diffuser. There is no set position for it, it's moveable/adjustable, and you just position it over the burn pot (like several other pellet grills out there.) I found that if I didn't have it perfectly centered over the burn pot in both directions, it caused significant temp variances from the left and right side of the pit. I was 40-50* different left to right when I would eyeball it and think that I had it centered. This variance was always shortly after the pit reached set temp. I will say that after the pit had been running for a while, 45 minutes to an hour, the temp variance diminished to maybe 20-25 degrees or so left to right, which is acceptable in my mind. Once I started making a concentrated effort to center and level the heat deflector as best I could, I didn't experience any extreme temp variances, at most 20-25 degrees or so. When I first called and spoke with their main salesman about it to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, he said to not fret over temps too much and just cook. He's probably right, but he was a little dismissive about the subject and labeled that as a pro instead of a con. I suppose for some people that would be a pro so they could have a hotter side to their pit, but I wanted to not have to worry about positioning the deflector dead center every time to get even results.

The next thing was start up time. With the funnel flame zone directing the heat up towards the grill surface vs just out and around on the PS, it feels like the mak gets to temp in half the time the PS did. It's noticeably quicker.
I also truly believe the smoke flavor is much more pronounced in the mak, though I did not own them at the same time but rather several weeks apart so was not able to do side by side testing. I will say that after having ribs off the Mak for the first time, the wife commented that they actually tasted like they were smoked.

I liked the vertical room in the Mak. If I were to get a PS again, I would defiantly get the 1250. The 850 top shelf was pretty close to the lid for a lot of things, but no worries with room on the 1250, it's massive.

Another thing that swayed me was after reading and researching for a year or two I decided that I really wanted a Mak based on many things, including your constant praise! :biggrin1: But then I settled for the 850 when i caught them on sale in a store in Houston. I wasn't completely happy after a few months, so I did the buy once cry once deal. Im happy now, I love the Mak! A part of me thinks that if I would just got the 1250, I would've been content. But the 304 SS in the Mak helped me justify spending more money, as I don't have a covered Patio and I didn't want to worry about rust and repainting, though that's not a huge deal. The body of the PS will never wear out, it's very thick.

So quick question...when you clean your temperature probe in the cook chamber what do you use? I was told by others just vinegar and a rag, but I wanted to check and see if that is the consensus. Also, how often do you clean it and does everyone elses have dark coloring from the smoke inside the cooker just wanting to make sure.

So quick question...when you clean your temperature probe in the cook chamber what do you use? I was told by others just vinegar and a rag, but I wanted to check and see if that is the consensus. Also, how often do you clean it and does everyone elses have dark coloring from the smoke inside the cooker just wanting to make sure.
I only clean it when the grill gets cleaned using the same Member's Mark commercial oven cleaner.

I'm far from a pellet expert and I'm sure more experienced voices will weigh in, but after having my pellet cooker only since this summer (MAK 2 Star) my interior is definitely coated dark black. I clean my thermocouple with a scotchbrite pad. Sometimes vinegar, sometimes simple green. Always wipe clean w/ paper towel. I really wonder how often this has to be done...

Excited to join the forum. Just purchased a Memphis Elite Built-in. Haven’t been able to play with it yet since I needed to rebuild the outdoor kitchen to accept the new grill. Construction is taking a little longer than expected, but there’s a slight chance I could be cooking this weekend. In the meantime, I’ll continue to read and learn as much as I can from the group.

Excited to join the forum. Just purchased a Memphis Elite Built-in. Haven’t been able to play with it yet since I needed to rebuild the outdoor kitchen to accept the new grill. Construction is taking a little longer than expected, but there’s a slight chance I could be cooking this weekend. In the meantime, I’ll continue to read and learn as much as I can from the group.
Curious if yours is made in USA or China. They said they were moving production a while ago and was wondering if that has happened yet. My Pro was built shortly after they made the announcement, but is USA.

Curious if yours is made in USA or China. They said they were moving production a while ago and was wondering if that has happened yet. My Pro was built shortly after they made the announcement, but is USA.

According to Memphis, my grill was made in the US. They can tell you based on the serial number.

Back