***The Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread***

Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread
Giggity. I wonder what the bounce rate is from organic google searches to this thread. :razz: Everything looks awesome, those adapters you made eb look sweet. I take it you can accomplish this in a WSM by removing the water pan or do you guys leave a deflector in? Will have to research this some, as that food is looking grreeat! Can't wait so see what kind of contraptions you guys have for spinning/rotation. Someone has to be first, who's it gonna be?
Thanks
Keith has been rotating/spinning meat for awhile and using pure wood. I'm working on an idea for a round rotating fixture that I can mount on my UDS's and give maximum capasity in a rotating grate. But when I get a chance, I am going to fab up a hanging grate for my mini. I need that first, besides some time.

I didn't catch any pics of it spinning but this is one nice thing about spinning in a roti basket. This is a recent tri tip cook, just stop the rotation and sear on both sides, it was over a fire so when the temp got good and hot over 400* i stopped the spin.

Yes in the tent isle, they don't show on their web site. There was a basket of about 100+ and somewhere around 47 to 53 cents ea. I grabbed a few to experiment, used em and they worked great. Went back to get a buch more, but they have been sold out for over a week now.
Every Army-Navy surplus store I've ever been in had bins full of stakes like that. Or sporting goods stores might be a good place to look.

curious as to "shape/design" of your hooks as opposed to just an "S" hook?...method to your madness?

Depending on how much and the size of what you are hanging, you might not have the room for a typical S hook. Most of mine are off set, one to keep the next piece of meat from touching the other piece leaving room for heat etc to get on all sides if that makes sense. Most just depends on how much , the thickness of each piece etc.

Depending on how much and the size of what you are hanging, you might not have the room for a typical S hook. Most of mine are off set, one to keep the next piece of meat from touching the other piece leaving room for heat etc to get on all sides if that makes sense. Most just depends on how much , the thickness of each piece etc.

makes perfect sense...thanks!

Here's my re-purposed CG rotisserie parts, so I can use it on an open fire / free standing. Hopefully sparks some ideas with people -- you can grab and assemble stuff out of just about anything, you may just need to source a usable motor from ebay / amazon.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214325

20150620_184429.jpg

Here's my re-purposed CG rotisserie parts, so I can use it on an open fire / free standing. Hopefully sparks some ideas with people -- you can grab and assemble stuff out of just about anything, you may just need to source a usable motor from ebay / amazon.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214325

20150620_184429.jpg

Don't hang but love to spin!

Wow those are two really cool wood fired roti setups! The ingenuity on here never fails to amaze me. Love rotissering over a fire but mine isn't near as portable as y'all's. I'm gonna have to fix that.

Yours and Seth's are both awesome but so different in design. Did you make yours?

The rotisserie was part of a set bought about 40 years ago that included large and medium grates and a small warming grate. It came with a large square spit with a removable handle. You turned it by hand a quarter turn at a time and it set into the slot on the right. About 15 years ago I asked the shop foreman where I worked if he would take the brackets and motor from my rusted out gasser and mod the old one. This is what he came up with and it works well. I have pipes cut to different lengths to raise or lower depending on the type of fire.

The rotisserie was part of a set bought about 40 years ago that included large and medium grates and a small warming grate. It came with a large square spit with a removable handle. You turned it by hand a quarter turn at a time and it set into the slot on the right. About 15 years ago I asked the shop foreman where I worked if he would take the brackets and motor from my rusted out gasser and mod the old one. This is what he came up with and it works well. I have pipes cut to different lengths to raise or lower depending on the type of fire.
Sweet, what a great way to re vamp an old roti!

Bob your setup is sweet!

Wow those are two really cool wood fired roti setups! The ingenuity on here never fails to amaze me. Love rotissering over a fire but mine isn't near as portable as y'all's. I'm gonna have to fix that.

Mine was pretty simple considering I already had all of the components, just my mission was to adapt them to use them anywhere. Really happy with it considering I can use it anywhere, it really isn't that hard to have a roti setup that is decoupled from a particular grill. Just for ease of use at home, I'll probably use it mostly on that crappy firepit now.

Definitely keep an eye on home depot/lowes clearance around now. Roti parts will start to show up

If anyone wants to try just laying the rebar on top so it get's more ventilation and convection and worry about knocking the bars off here's a simple solution. You'll be able to adjust them easily and hold them snug. It works really well this way and holds temps solid.

I just used some metal spring clips.... then if you want you can lay a grate on the top for burgers, dogs, brats, veggies etc... right over what you're hanging.

Keep em coming guys, some great ideas! And awesome lookin food!
Not that I didn't have enough smoking from yesterdays all night smoke for the MVF. We were out of smoked bacon, sooo.. why not try the rack I made.
I was hoping to get 1 1/2 lbs on the rack. Well I got 2 full lbs of thick cut bacon, I think I could get around 5 lbs on there. Another photo later into the smoke. I'm going to run around 185 for this smoke. I have a drip pan to catch the drippins for use later as bacon grease is always used when ever possible around here.

Keep em coming guys, some great ideas! And awesome lookin food!
Not that I didn't have enough smoking from yesterdays all night smoke for the MVF. We were out of smoked bacon, sooo.. why not try the rack I made.
I was hoping to get 1 1/2 lbs on the rack. Well I got 2 full lbs of thick cut bacon, I think I could get around 5 lbs on there. Another photo later into the smoke. I'm going to run around 185 for this smoke. I have a drip pan to catch the drippins for use later as bacon grease is always used when ever possible around here.
Oh boy....I'm thinking really good BLT's right now. Gotta see the finished bacon coming off of there!

Back