The Guinea Pig BBQ Championship

Can't wait to cook this one..taking the meat selection process out of the equation is the thing that will level the field the most..I'd actually like to see nothing but drums and cheap offsets with no foil but that's another contest..and from my past experiences cooking provided meat I welcome the challenge and I'm excited to see the outcome.

I really like the idea, wish it was a tad closer so we could compete.

It has already been mentioned but I don't think this is the comp to run just drums and stick burners, lots of potential teams that are thinking about making the jump to comps have always cooked with gadgets or pellet cookers, etc. so you make it a very enticing comp for new teams with taking out the 'meat stress' and than adding in cooker restrictions.

I will make a parallel with professional bowling, the equipment was getting so good, and lanes dressed to match the equipment and the players so well coached that scores were at an all time high. So what the PBA did was make a plastic ball challenge, the best of the best all got the same ball and bowled on a tough pattern to see who was the most skilled. They didn't start it in regionals were the fringe guys were who were just trying to catch on because they are just trying to catch on and they don't have the luxury of being able to practice both styles because bowling isn't how they make money and they only have so much time to invest into practicing and the pros who don't have a another job outside of bowling would be able to spend that time practicing both styles.

there are no restrictions on cookers at the Guinea Pig...people are talking about other contests they would like to see...

What I need to make sure I get across is that I am billing this as a cost controlled contest with a redistribution of the prize purse. The residual benefits is a leveling of the field...It is something for the dollar whipped american smoker...ok canadian too!

there are no restrictions on cookers at the Guinea Pig...people are talking about other contests they would like to see...

What I need to make sure I get across is that I am billing this as a cost controlled contest with a redistribution of the prize purse. The residual benefits is a leveling of the field...It is something for the dollar whipped american smoker...ok canadian too!

Oh for sure, I just seen some other comments that might have reflected that point of view.

I love the concept here! It's an economical way for someone to dip their toes in the competition pond without major capital outlay. With that said, would the competitors that this concept appeals to (assuming amateur backyard cooks) even be looking for team of the year points? Would you really want ToY points to draw the heavy-weight cookers in? I think regional ToY points are spot on. Logically, these cooks will be cooking regions not out cruising the roads.

Candy Sue I have been digesting this for a few days....There are regional bbq associations that all have team of the year....if KCBS is the national sanctioning body why cant they offer three divisions? WHy does KCBS want ot be regional?

BP, I don't understand your second question! KCBS doesn't have 3 divisions because there's never been dividing lines. ToY has always been a national thing. Evolution is a slow process at KCBS (and that's not a bad thing, IMO!).

I want TOY for someone who cooks as little as I do. Not too many of us can cook 30-40 contests a year. And just because someone can, doesn't necessarily mean they are the best, and just because someone can't cook more than 8 a year, doesn't mean they aren't that good.
(pipe dream) I’d love to someday be sponsored enough to be able to quit my job, travel to 40 contests, and go for the TOY. I’d love to make a run for it. Play KCBS’s game as it’s written now.

I want TOY for someone who cooks as little as I do. Not too many of us can cook 30-40 contests a year. And just because someone can, doesn't necessarily mean they are the best, and just because someone can't cook more than 8 a year, doesn't mean they aren't that good.
Batting average?

No you don't Podge. Besides bragging rights, I'm not really sure its worth it. Just like chasing those bings for the Jack. Too much work and not enough rewards

No you don't Podge. Besides bragging rights, I'm not really sure its worth it. Just like chasing those bings for the Jack. Too much work and not enough rewards

The key thing in my post to do 40 contests, is to be sponsored, and quit my job. :biggrin1:.. I wouldn't even dream of trying to do 30-40 without some freedoms to do so.

The key thing in my post to do 40 contests, is to be sponsored, and quit my job. :biggrin1:.. I wouldn't even dream of trying to do 30-40 without some freedoms to do so.

Maybe you can talk your wife into working multiple jobs to make it happen? Didn't work for me but maybe you:thumb:

We are really looking forward to this contest. We might leave the pellet cookers at home, and just cook on the BPS drums....But I will not be happy about having to prep chicken at the contest, however since it is just 9 pieces, I better take my time and not screw it up :) I normally start with 30 pieces of chicken, to cook my 18 :)

Looks like we're in as well. Going to bring just 2 UDS and minimal equip. It'll be nice not having to haul everything for PC, though I do enjoy a good crowd lined up in front of the tent!

Looks like we're in as well. Going to bring just 2 UDS and minimal equip. It'll be nice not having to haul everything for PC, though I do enjoy a good crowd lined up in front of the tent!
Welcome to the Brethren... fyi, you have one of the best logo's!!

bg_z3gk.jpg

Back