The Guinea Pig BBQ Championship

KCBS Rule #7:

When the contest
organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to

enter only that meat.
Loos like a contestant choice to me...:cool: So...if ALL contestants choose to use the supplied meats...what's the problem? :confused:

I personally think that meat selection and proper aging is when your Pit master skills start not at noon on Friday. I do think there is a place for these contest but as a back yarder contest. So the competitor sanctioning would be the correct place, just my two cents.

I see on the KCBS it was added Jan 2 that in itself is one possible reason its not fully sanctioned. They have to have 90 days prior to the event to fully sanction it. Maybe it was and this is when it got on the web site.

Actually this would open the door for more push for a Pro TOY.

I do agree with you, that having the experience and know-how to select the right meat that you want for a contest is an important attribute. Probably one of my most important aspects of doing a competition in my opinion. It is very intriguing to me though, to be supplied all the same meat as everyone else. Also, it is very nice to know that you don’t have to worry about going out and buying meat, or worrying that it’ll ship on time, etc. I like the idea too, of thinking that I can cook “XX” brand chicken thighs better than the next guy J..

I love the concept here! It's an economical way for someone to dip their toes in the competition pond without major capital outlay. With that said, would the competitors that this concept appeals to (assuming amateur backyard cooks) even be looking for team of the year points? Would you really want ToY points to draw the heavy-weight cookers in? I think regional ToY points are spot on. Logically, these cooks will be cooking regions not out cruising the roads.

I love the concept here! It's an economical way for someone to dip their toes in the competition pond without major capital outlay. With that said, would the competitors that this concept appeals to (assuming amateur backyard cooks) even be looking for team of the year points? Would you really want ToY points to draw the heavy-weight cookers in? I think regional ToY points are spot on. Logically, these cooks will be cooking regions not out cruising the roads.

I guess it depends on the edge the team is looking for...if they are afraid of a level playing field then these are not the comps for them. Personally I welcome the challenge! :cool:

Regardless, I think there is still a major capital outlay, for some of us anyway. For me to do a contest like this, saves me approx. $250.. yes, its good money saved! (I pay $250 for an entry, about $400 in meat, or do this contest, that basically breaks down to $250 entry and $150 meat).. So, having said that, instead of a contest costing me $1,000 to do, a contest like this is $750 for me. I still have to lug a 5th wheel, cooker, etc.. but what is attractive to me about this kind of contest, is it levels the playing field on the issue of meat. For me, it was awesome to cook KOS with the meat I was provided. I was very happy with some of it, not as happy with other parts. but knowing everybody else was in the same boat is a great feeling.

I’ll tell ya what I’d like to do sometime too.. Pay $400 for an entry including meat… go to a contest that allows nothing but drums, WSM’s or offset type smokers. No pellets, no gurus, no insulated cookers, no gravity feds, etc.. just very basic type smokers that work in principal to what your neighbor can find at a hardware store. Turn ins start at 4:00pm, awards at 8:00-9:00 pm. You can get there at 6:00 am saturday, set up your EZ ups in the 20x20 space, cook hot-n-fast. if you prefer to just be there one day, or show up the night before, and start earlier in the morning. Miss no work, and spend roughly $500 for a chance of $10,000. I still really enjoy what I do now in KCBS contests, but damn this kind of contest sounds really fun and challenging!

That would be fun. I'm wanting to get into competition, and a contest like that would be a blast for a first one. Meat provided, no smokers over $1000. Good luck. :)

Regardless, I think there is still a major capital outlay, for some of us anyway. For me to do a contest like this, saves me approx. $250.. yes, its good money saved! (I pay $250 for an entry, about $400 in meat, or do this contest, that basically breaks down to $250 entry and $150 meat).. So, having said that, instead of a contest costing me $1,000 to do, a contest like this is $750 for me. I still have to lug a 5th wheel, cooker, etc.. but what is attractive to me about this kind of contest, is it levels the playing field on the issue of meat. For me, it was awesome to cook KOS with the meat I was provided. I was very happy with some of it, not as happy with other parts. but knowing everybody else was in the same boat is a great feeling.

$400 in meat?? Wagyu pork and chicken or what? :D

Butcher and Candy I appreciate your thoughts but the sign up are telling a different story. WE are getting all kinds...newbies, used to cooks and some very large teams....this is another choice. IF people like i we will have more. Im for more than 5 awards for 7000 teams so if its regional fine or 13-25 cooks (left Coast won that this year) or 12 and under (Rhythm n que won that one)...that would be cool too..

The attraction we are hearing is a cost controlled contest....and a redistribution of the prize pool.

David I think that managing a fire is big part of being a pitmaster too...that's what makes it great...we can have aged meat and pellet cookers...un aged meat and drums...tons of choices. As long as we have nice places to cook

Butcher and Candy I appreciate your thoughts but the sign up are telling a different story. WE are getting all kinds...newbies, used to cooks and some very large teams....this is another choice. IF people like i we will have more. Im for more than 5 awards for 7000 teams so if its regional fine or 13-25 cooks (left Coast won that this year) or 12 and under (Rhythm n que won that one)...that would be cool too..

The attraction we are hearing is a cost controlled contest....and a redistribution of the prize pool.

David I think that managing a fire is big part of being a pitmaster too...that's what makes it great...we can have aged meat and pellet cookers...un aged meat and drums...tons of choices. As long as we have nice places to cook
Absolutely on the fire control, I do believe that is part of the challenge and fun of cooking. I just wanted to point out that the meat provided isn't going to be the sole thing to level the playing field.

You know what would be a cool study. Is to have the cookers tell you how many contest they do a year, how many they have done total and see how the seasoned teams verse the new teams place. Then we could tell if the meat is an equal play or not.

David its going to be a blast crunching the stats afterwards. Thx for understanding that the biggest features of this is cost control and a redistribution of prize money. I really had no idea how this would fly hence the guinea pig title

This will be the first contest we compete it. Guinea Pig seemed to fit the bill and we know if Big Poppa is involved it will be a great time for all. The $400 fixed cost at a nice place sealed the deal for my wife Patty and I. Looking forward to it!

I’ll tell ya what I’d like to do sometime too.. Pay $400 for an entry including meat… go to a contest that allows nothing but drums, WSM’s or offset type smokers. No pellets, no gurus, no insulated cookers, no gravity feds, etc.. just very basic type smokers that work in principal to what your neighbor can find at a hardware store. Turn ins start at 4:00pm, awards at 8:00-9:00 pm. You can get there at 6:00 am saturday, set up your EZ ups in the 20x20 space, cook hot-n-fast. if you prefer to just be there one day, or show up the night before, and start earlier in the morning. Miss no work, and spend roughly $500 for a chance of $10,000. I still really enjoy what I do now in KCBS contests, but damn this kind of contest sounds really fun and challenging!
I'm all for something like that as well.

I think too much is made of TOY. Points effect I would say less than 10% of comp teams. If points chasers are worried about points, then they don't cook it. I personally applaud Sterling for thinking out of the box. I truly hope that it is embraced by not only the teams, but by KCBS as well. I should also include Arlie Bragg as well.

This will be the first contest we compete it. Guinea Pig seemed to fit the bill and we know if Big Poppa is involved it will be a great time for all. The $400 fixed cost at a nice place sealed the deal for my wife Patty and I. Looking forward to it!

Wow very cool Jim..watch out this guy knows his BBQ!

Back