The Eminem of Chicago BBQ

I actually did not read the entire article but 2 things
1. I liked it, the brisket was the best I have had at a place in Chicago, sauce was just ok, but the meat itself was awesome
2. I think the author meant Chicago's BBQ businesses when he was talking about them being mostly black owned/driven. In Chicago there are really only 2 types of place to get bbq (until recently) a. greek places that boil ribs b. black owned places that are awesome. Until recently with places like Smoque, Uncle Bubs, and a few other places having opened up.
3. I wish I lived in the south sometimes because good bbq is hard to find up here!

I am offended at the stereotype that just because I'm a beer bellied southerner, I can make good que.:roll: Even though I can, I'm still offended.:biggrin:

Its ok, I am a beer bellied (well its half beer and half food) northerner who tries to make good Q. practice makes perfect and its one thing I do not mind practicing!

I actually did not read the entire article but 2 things
1. I liked it, the brisket was the best I have had at a place in Chicago, sauce was just ok, but the meat itself was awesome
2. I think the author meant Chicago's BBQ businesses when he was talking about them being mostly black owned/driven. In Chicago there are really only 2 types of place to get bbq (until recently) a. greek places that boil ribs b. black owned places that are awesome. Until recently with places like Smoque, Uncle Bubs, and a few other places having opened up.
3. I wish I lived in the south sometimes because good bbq is hard to find up here!
im finding that there are more decent places around than i thought..although the ones that come to mind are fairly new..besides Smoque Honky Tonk BBQ in the Pilsen area does a great job . I also had a great BBQ dinner recently at Smokin T's in Long Grove..They dont do brisket but they smoke Black Angus short ribs and slice them like brisket for serving..it was excellent..Chicago area BBQ is making a lot of progress lately

Gentleman,

As the author of the article discussed here, I just wanted to offer some thoughts. I was actually trying to break down stereotypes, rather than reinforce them. In Chicago, it's true, the kings of smoke here tend to be African American....given that, Barry Sorkin is an unlikely Chicago success given his background as a middle class white kid. When you consider that he's also Jewish, and that pork tends to be considered a forbidden or taboo item in certain sects of the religion, that makes it even more interesting.

That being said, everything else which might seem offensive in the piece is generally tongue-in-cheek. Of course I firmly believe BBQ sees no color and is open and accessible to anyone.

Best,

Mike Nagrant

What's a Eminem? I'm guessing maybe he's in charge of enimas or something.

Good one, Mark, I agree :biggrin:.

Didnt know BBQ knew color. The writer of the article sound like a real ### hole

And I agree here, also! I have eaten both great and chitty BBQ at joints owned by many races. WTF does race have to do with cooking? :icon_pissed

Gentleman,

As the author of the article discussed here, I just wanted to offer some thoughts. I was actually trying to break down stereotypes, rather than reinforce them. In Chicago, it's true, the kings of smoke here tend to be African American....given that, Barry Sorkin is an unlikely Chicago success given his background as a middle class white kid. When you consider that he's also Jewish, and that pork tends to be considered a forbidden or taboo item in certain sects of the religion, that makes it even more interesting.

That being said, everything else which might seem offensive in the piece is generally tongue-in-cheek. Of course I firmly believe BBQ sees no color and is open and accessible to anyone.

Best,

Mike Nagrant

Mike - Thanks for chiming in with your comments. It's always great to get the author's input. Cleary, as you have pointed out, this is just another indication of the vast Jewish conspiracy to take over Q. It's already happened in New York, and it's slowly making its way west :wink:

Sorry I haven't been around much... Work sucks....

Dive, I kind of agree with you about Smoque. The one thing that I did like about it was the sliced brisket. Until I tried your burnt ends in Princeton last year, Sorkin's was easily the best brisket that I had ever tried. It was the first restaurant where I actually liked the brisket more than anything else on the menu. For that reason I will go back. The ribs and pork were just average though. Case you don't remember me, I was the tall guy with the EZ up problems at Princeton. Pete

Pete, Yes I do remember you and thank you for your compliment! While it wasn't that the food was bad at Smoque, I was just disappointed with it after Guy made such a big deal about it on his show...

As I said, when I actually have a free moment, I plan on going back and giving him a second chance...

Dive,
Pete didn't try my brisket. :-D

And for that, he should be thankful!

Back