The Brethren and Chicken on a 22" OTG (pron heavy)

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
I've always had a hard time grilling or smoking chicken unless doing turkeys or chickens in the Charbroil Big Easy oil less turkey fryer.

Got a situation with undercooked poultry. Target was 167*F for all parts.

SO! I consulted the best cooks on the planet. The BBQ Brethren. Here is the thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280546

Many great approaches and I will try them all but Brethren Sako (ssv3) came through for learning how to use a Weber Kettle. I learned awhile back that it is a totally different animal from my WSM and the comfort of a Weber Gasser.

To make a long story longer after several adult beverages I went to carve up the whole chick for grilling. I'm turning that over to my Wife from now on. It was not purtty.

6U3c4M7.jpg

FltDCCK.jpg

Butt!

The next evening it was time to grill right about late afternoon.

ZqCUOpR.jpg

Chicks on with Suckle Busters SPG.

xTWkscG.jpg

About the OTG Kettle, I left all vents wide open to start. The chick went from about 38*F out of the fridge to approx. 425*F for safety.

c7PErR2.jpg

The Kettle rocked out at approx. 300*F for over 2 hours once tuned in. Amazing to me.

W2cNZKc.jpg

Progress pics:

xTWkscG.jpg

DI5eHL0.jpg

rjZILCE.jpg

4EiHIdk.jpg

Qr2JNVi.jpg

Then it was time for The Money Shot! 1 out of 2 ain't bad. LuzziAnn was Hangry!

TrSgKbQ.jpg

deUHUZu.jpg

Thanks for lookin' Brothers and Sisters! :thumb:

Looking awesome Mike! Glad you like the turnout.

When I dial my kettles in they run for 4-5 hours untouched until more fuel is needed. I run the SnS so the charcoal capacity is less thus the 4-5 hours. Kick up the temps a little more next time and you'll really love it. :nod:

Last edited:
Heck yeah!! That bird had some nice color, and I'll bet the great flavor was right behind it. You certainly accomplished your goal of improving your chicken cook.

There ya go! Keep after it with the kettle and the rewards will be plenty. IMO every home should have at least one Weber 22.5". Looks like you're rocking the 2-zone so you've got a license to fly!

Looks great, Mike!

Heck yeah!! That bird had some nice color, and I'll bet the great flavor was right behind it. You certainly accomplished your goal of improving your chicken cook.

Forgot to mention acouple of applewood chunks in there. Nice flavor addition.

Back