The Bird Barrel- A Fwismoker Rotisserie clone

What rotisserie kit are you guys using? I did a quick search looking at reviews, alot said certain units were flimsy. I would like one that could handle a turkey.

I've had about 20 lbs of chicken on it and will have a 20 lb turkey ThanksGiving....well maybe before that.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-60090-Universal-Rotisserie-Grills/dp/B000FJVKPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403568271&sr=8-1&keywords=rotisserie+kit"]Amazon.com : GrillPro 60090 Universal Heavy Duty Rotisserie Kit for Grills : Bbq Rotisserie Motor : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41zjije8KQL.@@AMEPARAM@@41zjije8KQL[/ame]

What rotisserie kit are you guys using? I did a quick search looking at reviews, alot said certain units were flimsy. I would like one that could handle a turkey.

I will send you a pm with the details later, I'm posting from my phone now. It was $40 +\- on amazon, the specs say it can handle a turkey.

Edit: fwismoker beat me to it, I'm using same one as him

The Bird Barrel - I love it! That chicken looks just beautiful!

I had some oak delivered specifically for this very purpose, I was so inspired by Fyismoker's initial posts. My old red UDS I use anyway for either rotisserie chicken, or roadside chicken, so no need to make any mods.

I loaded up some oak splits, and within 10 minutes, I had an unbelievable grease/soot fire blazing that definitely gave my drum a good size battle scar:

IMG_0654_zps6eccd583.jpg

I should have thought it would have been a good idea to clean out 5 years of accumulated soot and grease before I tried this...:doh:

So, if any of you are thinking about converting an existing UDS with high mileage into a Bird Barrel, you know what to do. :thumb:

Those open rotos look good. I used my weber rotisserie and ring with mini splits to mimic this. Inspired by the chicken king himself.

Nice! Looks like your spit is above the rim of the barrel?
Oh i'll tell you what...that weekend i was cooking two birds at the lake with cool 30 mph sustained winds I was really glad the bird was completely inside. Man that was a trip cooking open top in those conditions but it cooked like a champ and we had bigger splits in so it still pegged the therm. lol

Nice! Looks like your spit is above the rim of the barrel?

There's no way that burn spot is going away without sandblasting the entire drum down. The rotiss rod site just above the rim of the drum, although I usually elevate the fire basket with cinder blocks.

Looks really good though. If you ever pick up that add on kit one basket will fit on the two outer spit rods. Same concept as when i did the 4 birds but two baskets.

Back