The Bird Barrel- A Fwismoker Rotisserie clone

ShencoSmoke

is Blowin Smoke!
Well, the last video Fwismoker posted of his rotisserie put me over the edge, I had to have one. I procured a closed top barrel a few months ago that was a perfect candidate. I had cut the top out and was planning on grinding the rim to fit a weber lid, but the rotisserie was a better idea. My friend volunteered to buy the equipment since I had the drum. We each have a BPS drum so we decided to use the BPS basket and share the rotisserie when complete.
1.jpg
Lowe's only had 2 SS U-bolts that were the correct size, the smaller U bolt will need to be replaced later.
2.jpg
3.jpg
A quick paint job
4.jpg
Everything fit like a glove.
5.jpg
6.jpg
Loaded up and ready to go to our friends house for the soccer match and first chicken cook. You can see the proud grandfather in the background.
7.jpg
birds on. one of the cool things about the spit is you can load the chicken and spin it to apply rub prior to dropping the coal basket. These got a little plowboys yardbird.
8.jpg
Had the game on the projector while they spun.
10.jpg
The pit stayed about 350-400 during the cook, measured just below the birds. who knows what the actual temp was, I found that it really doesn't matter. At about an hour in I started basting with Boshizzle's Griffin sauce.
11.jpg
They came off at about the 2 hour mark. They rested for a few minutes and then the wolves attacked, the birds never made it out of the pan. Do you see that juice pooled up in the pan? That is a mixture of Griffin sauce and the juices from the bird. The flavor of that "dipping sauce" was unlike anything I have ever tasted, I think I noticed a few tears being shed.
12.jpg
I have been cooking chicken all my life and this chicken was perfectly cooked. Perfectly juicy throughout, perfect flavor profile, and best of all we all got to watch and smell it being cooked.

Thanks for looking!

WOW. Very nice.

I need me one.

Believe me, you do. As we were standing around talking about it we started listing the endless potential: rib roasts, sucking pig, horizontal gyro's, fish (in the basket), etc, etc. I cant wait to try new things. And the Ribs Keith did looked outstanding, that will happen real soon.

Keith has been trying to talk me into building one.

I have a extra closed top barrel already.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

So you're saying the chicken was good? :wink: Beautiful little cooker, you'll enjoy the heck out of it!!! I can't wait for Thanks Giving and spin a 20 lb bird out in the open. There's something special about open top cooking and cooking over a stick fire...It looks cool for your guest and tastes way good.

It's also kinda nice having the fire protected from the barrel because wind isn't an issue.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

So you're saying the chicken was good? :wink: Beautiful little cooker, you'll enjoy the heck out of it!!! I can't wait for Thanks Giving and spin a 20 lb bird out in the open. There's something special about open top cooking and cooking over a stick fire...It looks cool for your guest and tastes way good.

It's also kinda nice having the fire protected from the barrel because wind isn't an issue.

Thanks for the inspiration! And your right, being able to watch it being cooked is a huge crowd pleaser.

just decided to fire it up for the UVA baseball game this evening, off to the store I go...........Im thinking CSR's in the basket?

CSR's would do great. Heck i did rib tips using forks to hold them so that's an option if you can't fit them all in the basket.

Well that's using some ingenuity! Putting some on the outside of the basket was a good idea.

What rotisserie kit are you guys using? I did a quick search looking at reviews, alot said certain units were flimsy. I would like one that could handle a turkey.

Back