Thanksgiving grilling with leftovers

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
Thanksgiving turned into a potluck this year, and since I was relieved of turkey cooking detail I decided to do beef as an alternate protein, an appetizer, and a side dish as my contribution to the feast!

Here's a tomahawk that I prepped...pretty much always have one on standby these days.

Q8iLpHnh.jpg

I slow-grilled it to an IT of 128F on my SMG. You can see how it dwarfs the 2-bone ribeye roast behind it. That's about 9 pounds of meat right there.

QJkrpj7h.jpg

Also did some brussel sprouts both on and off the stalk...fun stuff.

Sgr8ShAh.jpg

kwfzB4Th.jpg

ywKPrwJh.jpg

Not pictured were a whole mess of pig shots. Just got too busy and messy to take pics. Lol.

After Thanksgiving dinner, I put together a shooter's sandwich with the leftovers and put it under a couple heavy cast iron pans overnight. The sandwich consisted of turkey, ham, giblet gravy, swiss cheese, arugula, and chopped up brussel sprouts...all on a loaf of cranberry stuffing bread.

And voila! Came out nice and flat and solid...

VLJAFyyh.jpg

bOu5L3mh.jpg

And yummy!

Here was my post-Thanksgiving breakfast the next morning...

0C5YJthh.jpg

Diet time...

Thanks y'all! Today is Wednesday and I think I've had my last leftover turkey sandwich. Phew...I'm about to grow feathers and gobble, gobble.

Regarding the sandwich...there's no recipe per se...it was just thanksgiving leftovers piled into a sandwich. Get a big loaf of bread...like one of those big sourdough boules that they make chowder bowls or dip bowls out of. Cut off the top and dig out the soft insides (the crumb) to make a bowl. Then start layering your ingredients...I would stay away from wet veggies like tomatoes but pretty much anything else does great. Arugula goes great in these sandwiches. Anyways, pile it all the way to the top in layers. Then replace the top of the bowl that you cut off at first. Wrap the whole kit and kaboodle tightly with foil. Some people wrap in paper and tie it tight. Then set it on your countertop and put a cutting board over it and then two or three of your heaviest books or cast iron skillets on top of that. Mash it down and then leave the weight on top of the sandwich on top of your counter overnight. In the morning, the entire bread loaf will be flat and compacted to a pretty solid piece. Slice and serve or pack on your hunting trip. Fun stuff.

Here's a link on the more traditional shooters sandwich, made with whole strip steaks...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/are-shooters-sandwiches-really-worth-a-damn.html

Back