Thanksgiving Leftover Favorites

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
This is one of those day after Thanksgiving leftovers I always look forward to. Pretty sure it's a New England regional thing, since it's traditionally called a Pilgrim sandwich....

The first time I encountered this was a wtf moment, being a New Yorker. But it's become a favorite.

For me, it's toasted bread. Turkey slices, cranberry sauce, stuffing. Usually with gravy. And for some oddball reason, I like mayo on mine.

Sorry, no pics. I was hungry and chowed down. When I make another tomorrow....

Any other regional specialties?

Hey, if Andy can post chicken feet. :mrgreen:

Regards,
-lunchman

We have that in PA, but we call it a Gobler. Another regional sandwich we have is a PA Dutch Turkey BBQ sandwich. People get confused because while its called a turkey bbq, there is no bbq sauce. Turkey is shredded and simmered in a very strong/viscous turkey au jus made from reduced turkey stock/drippings.

Last edited:
I’ve eaten a few turkey sandwiches sitting in a tree stand in PA. I bet a few will be doing the same tomorrow. I just did turkey and mayo with oregano on those sandwiches.

Now I like open faced hot turkey sandwiches at home.

Last edited:
LOL oh them sandwiches are nasty LOL only thing missing is the corn and mashed taters LOFL. I am more of a turkey noodle soup or turkey pot pie guy myself hehe

did the same thing here with dinner rolls and leftover ham. Buttered roll, ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce, dipped in gravy as I ate it.

LOL oh them sandwiches are nasty LOL only thing missing is the corn and mashed taters LOFL. I am more of a turkey noodle soup or turkey pot pie guy myself hehe

I would love to here your version on Turkey Pot Pie. Is it a soup with bowtie noodles. Or is it a pie crust with a pastry topping? Speaking of Nasty, turkey noodle sounds nasty, reminds me of Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

I would love to here your version on Turkey Pot Pie. Is it a soup with bowtie noodles. Or is it a pie crust with a pastry topping? Speaking of Nasty, turkey noodle sounds nasty, reminds me of Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

It’s way better than canned soup if done right.

My wife made the soup in this photo on Thanksgiving day a couple years ago. She started with the trimmings such as the tail, trimmed skin, giblets, neck, and added meat from the bird after the meal. She used wide egg noodles. The innards and skin make the broth taste a lot better, and I make sure I get some innards in my bowl. My sister in law said it was the best turkey soup she ever ate. We didn’t do it this year because our elderly dog had a slight limp thanksgiving morning that got worse as the day went on. I wound up at the animal hospital soon after the bird came off, and ate a Wawa turkey hoagie as my thanksgiving dinner while driving. Our thanksgiving dinner wound up being a reheat last night.

IMG-1277.png

5-CFE41-E7-9-D4-F-4445-9-C59-7-FD684-F82044.jpg

Last edited:
2 slices of rye with mayo, turkey, stuffing and cranberry. YUM. It does not get much better. Sad thing is I dont have any leftovers this year

We always cook extra so we have plenty for sammiches. We use the sammich maker and everyone just puts on what they like.

I use two different recipes for soup one from hey grill hey and sometimes I use the meat church recipe. For the Pot Pie i use the pillsbury recipe. Not sure why you would put noodles in pot pie sounds gross lol. Oh nm you were just trying to talk smack gotcha

https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-turkey-noodle-soup/

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/classic-turkey-pot-pie/222c3cef-31cc-4936-abfd-cc72611c16c4

Only a few pics from Thanksgiving Day. Too hectic to take pics and keep an eye on the grandkids. :biggrin1:

The Bird. Dry brined, 2 days uncovered in the fridge. Seasoned with Yardbird, compound butter under the skin. On a bed of onions, carrots, celery and herbs to keep it off the tray. Cooked indirect. The drippings were wonderful. Usually they burn, but not this time.

Ju1SQNY.jpg

Best gravy I've ever made thanks to the drippings and the stock made a few days before.

KaqVmqv.jpg

On to more Leftovers.

In addition to Puritan/Pilgrim/Gobbler sandwiches which I've had for lunch the past two days, today's leftovers were something different. My wife started making the Turkey Soup this afternoon. Corn, green beans, carrots, turkey stock, dark and white meat turkey, etc. smelling good in the kitchen. I think she even used a few tablespoons of gravy.

Since the kitchen was under her control I decided to make lunch on the Blackstone - Turkey Quesadillas. This was a MSU lunch. Dark and light turkey, stuffing, gravy in one pile. Grilled onion, green beans, corn in the other. And a bit of melted cheese to hold things together.

1trvCIO.jpg

Easier to fold two in half than attempt flipping one giant Quesadilla -

l5WH7G9.jpg

CwVXaaN.jpg

With a side of real cranberry sauce made the day before T-Day -

YcB6c50.jpg

jlic22X.jpg

Really not a bad way to use up the Thanksgiving Day leftovers, especially when I get to play with the Blackstone.

Regards,
-lunchman

So Dom, after 2 lunches in a row are you glad for the Pilgrim/Whatever sandwiches to go or are you raiding the fridg for #3? I have to admit, they look/sound pretty darn good.

So Dom, after 2 lunches in a row are you glad for the Pilgrim/Whatever sandwiches to go or are you raiding the fridg for #3? I have to admit, they look/sound pretty darn good.

Two was enough, Kevin. After the quesadillas, I'd say I'm turkey'd out. But the turkey soup my wife made was great, so a few more lunches featuring turkey are in order.

I did not buy turkey at the deli yesterday. :wink: Nor did I look for another frozen or fresh bird.

Back