Teach Me about Blackstones

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bob, aka, Uncle
When DD and SIL came last they brought a 22" Blackstone Model 1842. I finally found the roundtuit and unboxed it today. Sadly, when I took the protective cover off the gas connection, the nipple for the gas was broken off. Blackstone is shipping me a replacement part, but I was counting on having it in case we lose power in the snow and ice storm predicted for here Wednesday night and all day Thursday. I have a butane burner, so I'll be able to cook without having to use a charcoal grill.

This model has feet on the base but no legs. The griddle was a bit sticky so I washed it with Dawn. I ordered some flax seed oil to season the griddle with. I prefer it for seasoning cast iron, too. The oil will probably be here before the replacement part because I ordered it from Amazon Prime.

My first question is whether or not I can use it indoors on top of the kitchen range. I can't see how it would be any different than a gas range, but what the fark do I know? :grin:

My second question is whether you have suggestions - do's and don'ts - for seasoning it.

Then, what suggestions do you have for cooks, besides breakfasts and burgers. Any good sites for recipes, etc?

TIA

You can use it indoors but it may be hard to control the smoke coming off of it, since you have the 22” you can probably can sit on your stove and vent it under the hood or microwave vent. As far as seasoning attached is the blackstone video.
Good luck and post the results.
https://youtu.be/WTpZlUIfrBA

At least do the seasoning outdoors. Cook a lot of bacon on it, it will season itself after the initial run.

My 22" Blackstone came with a user guide explaining how to season. Also had a booklet of recipes.

Bob, if you have good ventilation in your kitchen above your stove, you might be OK to use it indoors. Still, I would be wary to do so and would prefer to use it outdoors. We have used our BS Griddle indoors a few times in our sunroom during heavy rain or snow - and kept one of the doors leading to the backyard ajar for ventilation.

The Blackstone Appreciation Thread will give you many ideas on what and how to cook using the griddle. There's a small number of posts for the Pizza oven too, but it's a good start:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215789

Sorry if you already know this Bob, but my concern about indoor use would be from the propane connections. Unless the box/instructions state it is designed for indoor use, the connections are probably not as robust and durable as other gas appliances designed to be in your home. This becomes important in light of the fact propane is heavier than air and will accumulate in a low spot if there is leakage. But, your questioning of what you farking know is a good sign. Sounds like you have plenty of common sense.

My thoughts—-Indoor? Absolutely not. Never. Uh-uhhh

Seasoning- follow the instructions Blackstone instruction booklet. Best I recall. Wash cooking surface well. Then. Heat to high apply oil wait for it to smoke Then Quit Smoking. Then apply oil and await smoke Then quit smoking. Do this three times. Then start cooking bacon and onions. Every day for a week.

In case I was ambiguous. NO Cooking Blackstone Indoors. Outside well ventilated area only.

Bob,

I used to have a 36" standalone Blackstone. Then I scored a 28" on black Friday for $50 some years back so got rid of the 36 and only used the new 28" flattop on my gasser. Can you possibly use it on a gasser? I know there are storms coming your way so if possible bring the grill close to a patio to access. It's worked very well for me for years.

QqqI3CPh.jpg

I think he wants to put the griddle top onto his indoor stove (like what Sako is showing, but indoors) and not so much "use the full blackstone setup inside" for the seasoning steps.

I know you like flaxseed oil but I did not have a great experience with it on my Blackstone. I prefer plain lard for seasoning. Just my 1/50th of buck.

I know you like flaxseed oil but I did not have a great experience with it on my Blackstone. I prefer plain lard for seasoning. Just my 1/50th of buck.

I agree. I’d either just cook on it or use grapeseed. Flax seems to flake off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am not a fan of gas stoves that don't have a vented hood, folks can say what they want but folks die every year from stove fumes in campers, I have used my small Weber gas grill on the stove top, single burner , I always open a window if I am using 2 burners or more on my stove, if your house is pretty air tite the hood can't pull much air so fumes are more likely to not get pulled out. Remember when in doubt carry it out Side. safe food and practices wont bring tears unless your cutting onions lol

Back