SV & Egg St. Louis Ribs

Baychilla

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe
Yesterday I did 2 racks of St. Louis ribs on my Egg. At the same time I started a 3rd rack (dubbed the mutant rack) off with a dusting of Sweet Swine O Mine rub. The rack was cut into 3 sections (didn't want to dig out the big tub) and left to sit in the fridge for a few hours.

About two hours later the three bags of ribs went into a nice warm (150F) water bath. They get nice and warm over the next 24 hours.

Today I fired up the Egg and tossed on some oak chunks. Wow. It smelled like wood (the pecan chunks I've been using don't seem to have a smell, is it possible for wood to be too seasoned?).

After the Egg was up to temp I cut open the bags and drained off the liquid the ribs had produced. I should have added some rub at this point. Then it was onto the Egg for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes I lightly sauced the ribs and let them cook for another 5 minutes. I pulled them, cut them and ate some.

According to Amazing Ribs (where the time/temps parts of the recipe came from) there was supposed to be some smoke flavor. I found none. The meat was tender, not quite fall apart but not quite bite through either. I'd be happy with that. The texture of the fat was interesting - like bone marrow; sadly it tasted of...fat. The fat did not render the way it would've had the ribs been done entirely on the Egg.

Would I do this again? Probably not. At least not without some modifications (cold smoke first, rub, sit a bit, cook SV, reapply rub, smoke some more). But at that point it's easier to just do them the normal way. Though the SV would give consistent results so it has that going for it, which is nice.

The finished ribs
i-ZLLGQfX-L.jpg

i-ffFJtgj-L.jpg

Now I need to figure out what to do with the liquid from the bags.
i-4ncSbXf-L.jpg

Wanted to add some info on when the SV is a great asset.

A week prior to us going to the beach, I smoke some ribs via traditional methods (2-2-1) on my Primo or UDS. I finish the smoke, let cool and refridgerate. I then vacuum seal and freeze. I toss these into the cooler as we head out on our 9 hour journey to OBX. On rib day, I take the ribs and place in a 5gallon cooler with my SV unit and set on 160F. I leave for a couple hours. Upon return from beach, I fire up a grill and toss them on for the maillard effect and a final glaze.

Awesome way to enjoy smoked ribs when away from home and your smoker!

Back