Suggestions for offset pit in Southern California

WilsonJames1

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Wilson
Hey guys, this is my first post so sorry if I violate any rules I didn't see. I am in a predicament right now with trying to upgrade my smoker. Right now I have an modern Oklahoma Joe's and I love to bbq on weekends but want an upgrade. The only problem is that I live in Socal and on a tighter budget. I thought about building my own out of an air compressor tank but would like some advice from you guys.

Check the usual used sites, craiglist, fb market place ..., get a good deal and avoid shipping costs which can be quite expensive.

Hey guys, this is my first post so sorry if I violate any rules I didn't see. I am in a predicament right now with trying to upgrade my smoker. Right now I have an modern Oklahoma Joe's and I love to bbq on weekends but want an upgrade. The only problem is that I live in Socal and on a tighter budget. I thought about building my own out of an air compressor tank but would like some advice from you guys.

Build one out of 120 gal tank. If you went bare bones with it you can prob do it for $1k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't define what a "tight budget" means, but I doubt you meant $5K plus, so odds are you're going to either end up with an Old Country Brazos (from Academy Sports), or you'll need to build your own. This forum has a few people who have built their own smokers, but there's not a lot of technical talk about fabricating. There's a different forum I've seen throughout the years which is much more focused on the fabrication side of smokers.

https://www.smokerbuilder.com/

Good luck with your project!

Yeah, shipping an offset to CA really kills the overall price of a new one for cheap b@sterds (like me). Plus, many of the good builders have long wait times. If you have to have new, there are CA builders around.

For used: Check the usual: Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, Offer-up... and you'll eventually find a deal. I was looking for several months before I bought mine and there were several offsets I thought were excellent and priced well during that time. I was picky so didn't jump until I saw "my" Klose show up ~60 miles away. Drove up with a uhaul trailer, brought it home and repainted it and it looks and works great.

Don't be afraid of a little rust if you're even a little handy. The 1/4 or, 3/8" steel on good offsets would take a long time to rust through and generally just need a little work to make them look like new. The rust turns people off so, you can negotiate a good deal.

I wouldn't suggest building a smoker with instructions from a forum. Buy plans or find an experienced fabricator to work alongside. You furnish material for two smokers,he furnishes expertise, you get a smoker plus experience and he gets a smoker to sell or gift.

Start by taking a welding class at a local technical college. You will gain a ton of confidence and make a lot of valuable local connections. Then buy a 220 volt MIG welder if you can afford it, or a stick welder if you can't. Then start looking for an air or propane tank 60-120 gallons, ideally a vertical one. While you are doing that, read a ton of build posts and come up with your design. Find a piece of 5-8" tube to use for a stack. Start scrounging steel. Find the online calculators that tell you things like firebox volume and look at them until you understand them.

Then build your own smoker!

Back