Sudsandswine Made Me Do It----Not Q But Hot Dang!!!!

You did a fine job on those. A good test of your masa is how easily the tamale un-wraps (without crumbling), and you passed that one. I try to buy prepared masa (the lard is incorporated), but I have to wait for a Denver trip. It freezes well and is great for small batch tamales. If you continue to make your own masa, experiment with adding chile powder and some of the stock from your cooked down beef or pork.

Another option to that masa tool is to use a tortilla press.... VIDEO1 and VIDEO2

I use the ball method like the second video (and make all the balls at once then cover them with a damp towel), but I like pressing with the husk and clear wrap like the first video.

You knocked it out of the park with those tamales, Sako! This sure looks like a Holiday Feast to me:

2F9gH5hh.jpg

:mrgreen:

You did them right Sako, so will we see Tamales on your restaurant menu?

Thanks guys!! Def a huge difference making it at home. While I've had good ones here and there, they're mostly stuffed with a lot of masa and almost no meat.

Those look sooooo good!!

Now I gotta do some..it has been a couple of years...like the tool you had to spread the masas.

You did a fine job on those. A good test of your masa is how easily the tamale un-wraps (without crumbling), and you passed that one. I try to buy prepared masa (the lard is incorporated), but I have to wait for a Denver trip. It freezes well and is great for small batch tamales. If you continue to make your own masa, experiment with adding chile powder and some of the stock from your cooked down beef or pork.

Another option to that masa tool is to use a tortilla press.... VIDEO1 and VIDEO2

I use the ball method like the second video (and make all the balls at once then cover them with a damp towel), but I like pressing with the husk and clear wrap like the first video.

Thanks thirdeye! Good to know it freezes well. I have a little bit of masa left for a small batch and wasn't sure. I know what to do now. :thumb:

I actually did add the broth/stock from the pork to both the salsa and the masa :clap2: I thought about doing them with the tortilla press but the tamale spreader was pretty painless after I got the hang of it.

uZyUOLJh.jpg

Thanks again Richard! :laugh: It didn't cross my mind to enter this either. :biggrin1:

You knocked it out of the park with those tamales, Sako! This sure looks like a Holiday Feast to me:

2F9gH5hh.jpg

:mrgreen:

You did them right Sako, so will we see Tamales on your restaurant menu?

Thanks Bill! Who knows? Maybe :becky:

Those look sooooo good!!

Now I gotta do some..it has been a couple of years...like the tool you had to spread the masas.

Thank you!

Yea the tool takes the guesswork on how much to lay down and puts a nice even layer. You can of course adjust your strokes to you liking. I grabbed them from amazon and it's from the lady at tamalespreader.com. They come in pairs so I paid $11 for two.

A little practice and the right consistency to the masa and you're rolling. :thumb:

That’s IT!!!

I just decided I no longer like you OR suds !!!

Those are beautiful tamales Sako!!!

Looks fantastic, Neighbor!
Merry Christmas to you and family! :hug:

Sako, I just burn meat. You, sir, have a chef's touch and amaze me.

Killer, Sako! :thumb:

Thanks Bill! Who knows? Maybe :becky:

Thank you!

Yea the tool takes the guesswork on how much to lay down and puts a nice even layer. You can of course adjust your strokes to you liking. I grabbed them from amazon and it's from the lady at tamalespreader.com. They come in pairs so I paid $11 for two.

A little practice and the right consistency to the masa and you're rolling. :thumb:

I’m going to have to try one of those spreaders, I was taught using a smeared in spoonful and I think I like your method better :thumb:

Masa

I actually had no idea how much labor went into making them. Wow. I appreciate the tutorial!
You all need to make the Masa from scratch to really make it labor intensive. My old lady’s family is Latino and they start by hand grinding dried whole corn kernels. It takes a whole weekend and is a family project. They only do this once a year in the days before Christmas. But dang, I never really like ‘em until I tried these. They also make several batches of the same wrapped in banana leaves. The flavor is slightly different but in a good way...

I think I don’t like you anymore. My invitation never made it to me and I didn’t get a plate!
Looks so f**king good. My wife want me to replicate.

Awesome cook Sako, you make Tamales look easy to make for such a time consuming task.

Kudos, great job.....

I am speechless. Those look amazing and no doubt, worth all of the effort. Outstanding cook!

Back