Stuffed Red Peppers Sourdough Calzone

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
This is for the Ground Meats! Throwdown

I wanted to make something different, not Smashburgers, not Meatloaf, not the same old Stuffed Red Pepper recipe. And somehow I wanted to get Sourdough mixed in there also. After a bit of wondering "could this possibly work?" I came upon the idea of putting Stuffed Red Peppers inside a Calzone. It's an experiment that might turn out well if it comes together okay, so what the heck? If not, no harm no foul and dinner might turn out to be a bit messy. I'll give it a go.

So, I present to you my experiment with Stuffed Red Peppers Sourdough Calzone.

I used a new recipe (to me) from the Little Spoon Farm website for Sourdough Pizza Dough, which I started two days ago. After an overnight ferment, a good number of stretch and folds and a day in the fridge it was proofed once more this morning -

h0Wxff3.jpg

In the meantime, I made a quick Tomato Sauce -

YpuIVlE.jpg

My usual Stuffed Red Peppers recipe starts with a mix of ground meat with diced onion, formed into burgers. Today I'm using Ground Turkey and Ground Beef, seasoned with Emeril's Burger Seasoning and dusted with one of the Oakridge rubs. Burgers ready for the grill -

pJbDZvh.jpg

With the burgers on the Goldens' are some sweet Italian Sausage -

3jOnYO9.jpg

After those were done and since the red peppers will be inside the Calzone, I wanted to make sure they're cooked a bit beforehand. I switched the Goldens' from direct to indirect by adding the searing plate, stacked my double layer of grates and added the Lodge CI Pizza Pan -

JWbjEtT.jpg

The pizza dough has risen nicely -

k3z6bF4.jpg

and cut into two pieces -

zhBtnYr.jpg

For the Red Pepper filling, mix up some of the Burgers, Diced Sausage, add Mozzarella, Worcestershire and Tomato Sauce -

hMJ4GGI.jpg

This is definitely an experiment in preparation. I cut a Red Pepper cross-wise into thirds, stuffed each with filling and topped them with Mozzarella and Tomato Sauce -

U0QPirl.jpg

Fold it, leaving the Peppers exposed (thanks to a recent Gozney video for the idea) -

q4jYEOr.jpg

And out onto the Goldens' it goes -

FTtUvOo.jpg

With the second dough ball, my wife made a more traditional Calzone, adding Pepperoni, to be baked in the oven -

Pp1GUC8.jpg

It was getting dark and starting to rain, but it's looking good after about 55 minutes and ready to come off the grill -

Y3bWbbl.jpg

I gave it a few extra minutes in the oven to help crisp up the crust, letting it rest -

cHgdqoP.jpg

4gJWRFq.jpg

Let's slice in and see how it looks! -

fLTc2Yk.jpg

Plated pics -

XjGuIVK.jpg

Tm3FR8Q.jpg

OL3vcKi.jpg

This was most definitely a successful experiment! The marriage of a Stuffed Red Pepper and a Calzone with Sourdough turned out to be a great dinner.
There are leftovers and the second Calzone for lunch and dinner over the next day or so.

I didn't get finished pics of the Mrs Calzone, but it looks superb as always. She's usually in charge of calzones when we make them but she let me play along this time, just to be nice. :mrgreen:

Thanks for following along with what was somewhat of a crazy idea, but sometimes crazy ideas turn out well.

One of these pics will get selected as a throwdown entry.

Regards,
-lunchman

Last edited:
I just love what you do Dom! Unconventional all the way. Way to do it. :hungry:

I agree with Sako, you start on the starting blocks like everyone else, but you quickly choose your own path and finish in style! You hit on a lot of my favorite things with this dish. Very well done!

Thanks everyone. This was a fun dinner to experiment with. I wouldn't have thought of it were it not for the throwdown. Nothing revolutionary, just... different. I could have simply sliced the peppers, added the filing mixture and stuffed the calzone but where's the fun in doing that? :wink:

Ya gotta think outside the normal recipes once in a while and have fun in the kitchen.

I failed to mention that it tasted really good - kinda like a stuffed pepper in a calzone. :mrgreen: Honestly, the peppers were perfecty tender thanks to the pre cook and the meat only, no rice filling with the addition of sausage is always a winner.

The pizza dough turned out to be a winner. On the website it's mentioned that the dough can be sticky and difficult to handle, but the overnight ferment in the fridge and proofing it in the oven with the light on certainly helped the texture. As did a bit of extra flour on the work surface. My wife always comments on which dough she likes when we make pizza and this got good reviews from her. Whew!

-Dom

Dom, you amaze me a lot with your creations! That one is Domalicious! If you are having fun in the kitchen, you are doing it right, man. Way to go!

Back