Sticking to the SirPorkaLot Method Fron Now On

Smokie185

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Got a Heritage turkey for the first time this year and it needed to be cooked hot and fast. I saw SirPorkaLot's method and decided to give it a try. I fired up the old WSM and cranked it up. I had to offset the lid a little to get temps above 350 because I was shooting for about 425. Cooked with charcoal, hickory chunks and apple. No brine and just a little compound butter under the skin over the breast.

Here it is half way there.

FU1XQrWl.jpg

Done.

UI0vnnUl.jpg

It was a small bird that cooked fast and was very good. I could taste the improvement from a standard commercial bird. There was no gamey flavor.

It was pricey but it came from a local farm and I am trying to support local farms.

I must have missed John's post but, I am really liking how yours turned out. I must say that bird looks like it's taking a super hero pose with it's shirt unbottoned :laugh:

Looks really good I got mine from a local farm too Always did in PA Found a place in MA It is a bit pricey but to me worth the extra cost I also use Johns method in that I use his Harvest Brine which helps the flavor of the Bird and cooked in TBE I guess hot and fast as a 12.5 lb Bird was done in 2.40 hrs

Back