THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smokie185

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Got a Heritage turkey for the first time this year and it needed to be cooked hot and fast. I saw SirPorkaLot's method and decided to give it a try. I fired up the old WSM and cranked it up. I had to offset the lid a little to get temps above 350 because I was shooting for about 425. Cooked with charcoal, hickory chunks and apple. No brine and just a little compound butter under the skin over the breast.

Here it is half way there.

FU1XQrWl.jpg

Done.

UI0vnnUl.jpg

It was a small bird that cooked fast and was very good. I could taste the improvement from a standard commercial bird. There was no gamey flavor.

It was pricey but it came from a local farm and I am trying to support local farms.

I must have missed John's post but, I am really liking how yours turned out. I must say that bird looks like it's taking a super hero pose with it's shirt unbottoned :laugh:

Looks really good I got mine from a local farm too Always did in PA Found a place in MA It is a bit pricey but to me worth the extra cost I also use Johns method in that I use his Harvest Brine which helps the flavor of the Bird and cooked in TBE I guess hot and fast as a 12.5 lb Bird was done in 2.40 hrs

Back