Stepping up time for me

I've had my Humphrey's Battle Box for about six months now. I will tell you I have been very happy with my smoker and the customer support from Humphrey's. They are more than happy to answer questions to make the learning curve short. Like you, I struggled a little with what size smoker to get. My ultimate goal is to have my Humphrey's and a Shirley offset in the future. For that reason and due to the size of my typical cook, I went with the battle box. If for some reason I decide not to get a wood burner, I may buy another battle box. That will give me more flexibility to cook at different temps for bigger cooks. I see a fair number of people getting two weekenders or battle boxes for this reason. Of course that has its pros and cons as well. Whatever you decide, I 'm sure you will be happy with a Humphreys. For what it's worth, I initially planned to get a temp controller for the battle box. At this point, I just can't justify it given my VERY minimal temp swings over a 10-12 hour cook. Best of luck!

Can't agree more with what you said about the temperature control without using a controller.
I've had my Humphrey's Battle Box for about six months now. I will tell you I have been very happy with my smoker and the customer support from Humphrey's. They are more than happy to answer questions to make the learning curve short. Like you, I struggled a little with what size smoker to get. My ultimate goal is to have my Humphrey's and a Shirley offset in the future. For that reason and due to the size of my typical cook, I went with the battle box. If for some reason I decide not to get a wood burner, I may buy another battle box. That will give me more flexibility to cook at different temps for bigger cooks. I see a fair number of people getting two weekenders or battle boxes for this reason. Of course that has its pros and cons as well. Whatever you decide, I 'm sure you will be happy with a Humphreys. For what it's worth, I initially planned to get a temp controller for the battle box. At this point, I just can't justify it given my VERY minimal temp swings over a 10-12 hour cook. Best of luck!

I have a DEB. I haven't found the probe ports to be worth it. Most thermo's will not fit thru easily. Then if you are using the probes at different levels you have to snake the probes thru the grates. Like mentioned, I just run the wires at the desired locations for the grates and close the door.
Since you are going to move the unit alot. The single 8" casters put the DEB at a good level for me(I'm 6'2"). No angled legs. But the DEB is very tippy for such a close/small foot print. I doubled up my wheels at each location using Harbor Freight 8" casters ($7ea.). 1/2" bolt/axle ! Not 5/8" like most 8" casters so just note. The original Humphrey's 8" are actually closer to 8.5" with the wheel/caster housing using a 1/2" bolt/axle. Dual wheels really makes a difference.
I also made my own coal basket, welded another handle on the ash tray. Now they pull/come out together. The original coal tray and ash tray can not come out together. Besides a few other mods.

Any questions, just ask. I have 2 different controllers. One works great (BBQ guru), the other doesn't work on my Humphrey's. My FLameBoss over shoots almost every time. And during a long cook you can not control/set any set temp and actually cook there. The fan runs way too much. Even 2 degrees below your set temp ( and altered set temp) and the fan still runs at 100%. POS IMHO. Constantly making you have to cook at higher and higher temps.
Over shooting your temp can take up to 1.5 hrs to come back down to temp if you let the Humphrey's come down on it's own. No open door stuff.
I've found that I mostly cook now without a controller.Though I bought the Humphrey's to use with a controller. Just easier. It runs just like my UDS. Except you have to watch the over shooting. Being insulated.

Not sure if the angled legs and the 8" casters would be good or more trouble than they'd be worth for me on the DEB. I'm 6'0 and with the extra height, it may make it a bit more awkward for the upper shelf area, maybe not.

Planning on going without the controller for now with the idea of maybe going with one later. If I do, I think it will either be the BBQGuru or one I put together using a raspberry pi. I keep wondering if the flameboss has a heating algorithm for non-insulated smokers and maybe that is why people seem to have so many overshooting issues with them? Anyway, I'll probably do more temperature monitoring for now more than anything.

I for sure got the round bar stainless racks, they are a breeze to clean. You could do that with the probe ports. There is nothing really wrong with having them, but I would bet you end up just closing the door on the cable because it doesn't hurt anything and is easier..then you can use the port money for another upgrade.

The 8" casters are great for what I do, but it never comes of my porch. As you can see by another thread active now they do tip.

I am excited for you. I had the highest of high hopes and would be quick to say anything that didn't meet my expectations but they have all been exceeded.

I am glad to hear your expectations have been exceeded. It is comforting to see and hear so many people having positive experiences with them.

Wider is better than taller with reverse flow verticals

A lower, wider model would work ok for me, but I think that is one compromise I'm going to have to do without due to wanting a smaller footprint and the $$$$. I'm already working 2 models up from where I thought I was going to hopefully be, lol.

What you said are a few of the reasons I'm going to go with a Humphrey's. On top of that, the St. Louis BBQ Store was awesome when I was there and I feel comfortable that, if for some reason I have any issues, between them and Humphrey's, we'll get things figured out.

I keep wondering if the flameboss has a heating algorithm for non-insulated smokers and maybe that is why people seem to have so many overshooting issues with them?
FlameBoss was originally sold and still is for the Kamado crowd. FlameBoss expect folks to run their Humphrey's like a kamado with the exhaust almost closed to help control temps. When the temp overshoots by 60+ degrees, the FlameBoss tells you to close the exhaust some on the display. That would end up with the coals going out during a cook before the temp would drop enough for the fan to kick back on. Learned that one quick.

I prefer MORE airflow. The low air flow smoke flavor profile is not for me.
After many hours cooking/experimenting on my DEB. I now run the inside exhaust air flow control wide open. The top exhaust wide open. And use the intake to control the temp. Just like most of my other smokers. I get more even heat thruout the Humphrey's even more so when the unit is filled up with meat. Less rotating racks on longer cooks.
Which is the opposite of most Humphrey's owners that post here. But then again, most never try adjusting anything and let it go as received. They like it the way it comes.
The BBQ Guru still works with the exhausts at any settings, the FlameBoss still does not work with any settings. In my experience.
As far as the angled legs, I did not go that route as I have a tendency to trip/stub my toe on stuff in/around my walk way. And those would be right in my way. The double wheels should be an easy option since they install them on their larger smokers. And triple wheels.
Yep I'm :crazy:

FlameBoss was originally sold and still is for the Kamado crowd. FlameBoss expect folks to run their Humphrey's like a kamado with the exhaust almost closed to help control temps. When the temp overshoots by 60+ degrees, the FlameBoss tells you to close the exhaust some on the display. That would end up with the coals going out during a cook before the temp would drop enough for the fan to kick back on. Learned that one quick.

After many hours cooking/experimenting on my DEB. I now run the inside exhaust air flow control wide open. The top exhaust wide open. And use the intake to control the temp. Just like most of my other smokers. I get more even heat thruout the Humphrey's even more so when the unit is filled up with meat. Less rotating racks on longer cooks.
Which is the opposite of most Humphrey's owners that post here. But then again, most never try adjusting anything and let it go as received. They like it the way it comes.
The BBQ Guru still works with the exhausts at any settings, the FlameBoss still does not work with any settings. In my experience.
As far as the angled legs, I did not go that route as I have a tendency to trip/stub my toe on stuff in/around my walk way. And those would be right in my way. The double wheels should be an easy option since they install them on their larger smokers. And triple wheels.
Yep I'm :crazy:

I guess that does make some sense. I've always smoked using intake control only with exhaust open too. Thought most people did it that way. Would probably explain the issues then.

The double wheels would probably work better than the singles. I'll ask about that. might be better for going across the yard too, less weight per point of contact.

I'll definitely be experimenting with airflow settings. Gotta play, lol.

Hmmm, let me know when you do that...I'll bring beer and we'll call it a Bash!
:clap2:

It is planned for Saturday the 6th from 2 to 5. If any brethern would like to come PM me for my address. Pork loin and chicken will be on the smoker.

Thanks for that and interesting. I just got a used Qubed Pint. Previous owner had opened up the internal air flow control wide open. I've always cooked with the exhaust wide open and used the intake to set temps. So wide open made sense to me but after seeing everyone else cooking with it closed way down I was planning to adjust it down. Now I think I'll run it as is and see how even the heat is - hoping to do my first cook this weekend.

Also glad to hear everyone saying they just pinch the probe cords in the doors, I was thinking I was missing something with no probe ports :)

I finally placed my order with STLBBQ yesterday. We ordered a DownEast Beast. I have to say that the customer service so far from STLBBQ and Humphrey's have both been awesome. Between that, my forum reading and my visit to cfrazier77's house, I feel as comfortable as I can be spending some $$$$. Now the wait...lol.

Nothing official on the wait time. They were thinking it is about 5 weeks right now. I am not in a super rush, no close dead lines so I wasn't too worried about an exact time. I'm really wanting it in time for the fall holidays and some time before that to get used to it. Been waiting the last 3-4 years to upgrade already, lol. I did go with the drop in pan because they also have a slide out conversion available. With that, I can go either way or back and forth. And Thanks!!

Back