Steel vs Stone…. Pizza Talk!

we went the Ooni route (stone) for our neapolitan style pizza and steel pan for our Lou Malnati's deep dish style

246957177_4752034641493883_125477668215829095_n.jpg

157929836_4077345418962812_6638122206212486616_n.jpg

I gifted my niece a pizza steel, which she used to replace the spare 16 inch Blackstone pizza stone I had given her earlier. I have seen with my own eyes the difference between the steel and the stone, with the steel providing visible improvement over the stone in terms of browning and more efficient cooking.

When it comes to a home oven, I'd pick the steel every time. Even so, as long as you have a quality stone and preheat it sufficiently, you'll still get great pizzas if you know what you're doing.

These are the best baking stones available, IMO:

https://www.californiapizzastones.com/

Same here....

They both work the same in my opinion.

I pretty much think the same here.

I started out for decades using pizza stones in the oven...of course hottest normal ovens generally go is maybe 500F.

For a long time, I tried all kinds of contraptions on my Weber Kettle grill to try to turn it into a pizza oven with no real success (can't keep enough heat coming in on top of the pie).

I'd bought a Baking steel...actually I got the extra thick griddle, which to me is better....one side exactly the same as the dedicated "baking steel", the other has a groove around the edge so if using as a griddle it will catch some grease.

I use the griddle side down in the oven as a "stone"...but, I've also grown quite fond of setting up my BGE XL to where the steel is pretty high in the chamber, so that not only can I get great heat from below, but the dome at the top also stays very hot and cooks the top ingredients very well.

I had used an old stone in the BGE set up...and aside from being round, I didn't notice much difference.

I guess the steel is slightly hotter cooking, maybe? But not a perceivable difference in use IMHO.

I got the largest and thickest steel (griddle model) I could get...so, I can throw a 16" pizza on it.

Here's where I think the best steels are...make sure and read through each model....there are different thicknesses, sizes and models:

https://bakingsteel.com

HTH,

cayenne

I've had the same pizza stone since 1998. I think I bought it at Meijer. It was a tan color when new and is solid black and shiny now. I once thought about getting a steel but this stone has cooked hundreds of great pizzas. I'm actually surprised it's lasted this long.

What’s the minimum temp y’all lay down a pie

What’s the temp y’all say is ideal

Steel or Stone

Been tempted to use the stone…. never done this so apologize for the newbie questions

:grouphug:

Last edited:
When you cook pizza in a home oven, you want to make sure the stone temp is very close to the ambient temp of the oven - so a preheat time of roughly 45-60 mins. A handheld infrared thermo is essential.

I've cooked pies at well over 700 degrees on my Blackstone. Unless you're using "00" flour, you really don't need to cook pies that hot as lower cook temps will yield a crisper crust. These days, I'm mostly cooking between 550-600 degrees stone temp.

These were cooked in the 550 degree range:

0DOpm0W.jpg

0bmvjMm.jpg

*drool*

When you cook pizza in a home oven, you want to make sure the stone temp is very close to the ambient temp of the oven - so a preheat time of roughly 45-60 mins. A handheld infrared thermo is essential.

I've cooked pies at well over 700 degrees on my Blackstone. Unless you're using "00" flour, you really don't need to cook pies that hot as lower cook temps will yield a crisper crust. These days, I'm mostly cooking between 550-600 degrees stone temp.

These were cooked in the 550 degree range:

0DOpm0W.jpg

0bmvjMm.jpg

Dammit....now you got me HUNGRY!!!
:)

Hey, do ya'll make your own pizza sauce, or store bought?

If you make your own, care to share your recipe? I've just never gotten one to be exactly what I want home made.

I want something a bit spicy...not just tomato sauce...something a bit thick, so I can slather it on heavy...as that I like lots of sauce and lots of cheese, and still get a crispy thin crust.

C

Well I feel a tad better… last cook it was running about in that range

Last edited:
It really depends on the type of oven you are using. Most home ovens max out at 500F. Steel is more conductive than stone. So, for home ovens, I prefer to use steel. It lends a little quicker cook time and a better undercarriage, IMO... For most other applications, stone is as good, or better. Steel wouldn't work all that great with intense, direct bottom heat, like a gas/charcoal grill.

Other big factors are they type of dough you are using. And what temps you will be cooking at.

I seem to recall you had a homemade oven built. I couldn't find the other pics of it, just the one in this thread. It looks like you are trying to decide on a "floor" for it? My first impression is a stone would be better for you. You may go one step further and try to find some actual pizza oven floor firebricks . I'm sure Google would yield you lots of options.

The floor is two sheets of 3/16in. It’s kinda a hybrid… steel or 16” stone

Last edited:
No experience with pizza steel but I'll echo what Moose said. I use pizza stones and my gas ovens both get up to 550* but I prefer to set them at 505*. No particular reason but 505* has worked optimally for me doing pizza in both. They're both GE ovens for what it's worth.

1zwqIjrh.jpg

kECWDd3h.jpg

FrGtuLZh.jpg

qDHA6S3h.jpg

EnL4p0jh.jpg

I remember reading on a pizza forum some guy bypassing the locking mechanism and putting his oven on self clean to make pizza.

About over a decade ago i removed the locking bracket on the oven i had at the time. It got up to 700F + in self clean. The element eventually burned out from all the pizza's i made, lol.

Back