Splits NOT Flaming??

bricks

HI All I will remove the bricks from the CC, along with alum grate and plates.
Thanks DanB

HI All I will remove the bricks from the CC, along with alum grate and plates.
Thanks DanB
That should go a long way in fixing your issues.:grin:
Unfortunately learning to run a stick burner is a lot of trial and tribulation for most people, (especially since every cooker is different) and it just takes doing it a LOT to work all the kinks out of your fire building and cooking process. Before long you'll have that pit walkin' and talkin'!:wink:

Hi All
Just got back from 10 day cruise to the Carribean.
Haven't started a fire just yet, waiting on picking up some smaller splits.Will post back with the results.
Thanks DanB

Smaller splits helped me. I got a lot good help from here.

Not sure if its normal but my last cook went real good. Maintained 260 to 300 the whole time but I kept my door wide open the whole cook.

I was afraid to close and leave vents wide open since it ran smooth that way. I wouldn't think u should have to keep door open the whole time but it worked great for my last cook.

Smaller splits helped me. I got a lot good help from here.

Not sure if its normal but my last cook went real good. Maintained 260 to 300 the whole time but I kept my door wide open the whole cook.

I was afraid to close and leave vents wide open since it ran smooth that way. I wouldn't think u should have to keep door open the whole time but it worked great for my last cook.

HI What door did you keep open..The vent door?
Thanks DanB

All great advice. I see the foil grate being the biggest issue and then the bricks. If it works for you - you could probably use the tuning plats again

Here is how I did mine. No bricks or dryer vent

View attachment 103749

The picture was from just starting the fire to season so it is a bit smokey

View attachment 103750

You will get it. Stick burners do take a little work but they make the best food. It will get easier and you will enjoy it. Keep the cooler close by the grill!

Last edited:
Splits

Hi All
Well winter is finally gone, I can get back to and fire up my smoker.
Stick burning with COS is defiantly a science did manage to get the smaller splits
6-8" long x 1-3" thick to flame, only problem is they don't last long. maybe 20-30 minutes.
With the larger splits,15-17" long x 3-5" thick.,last much longer, close to 1 hr, keeping them flaming is a work of art.
So now I'm looking for splits that are,10-12 long x 1-4 thick.. Think that would be the best of both worlds.
With the 2nd pic I panicked and lit up some more Kingsford.
Thanks All for your help
DanB
PS I took the fire bricks out and the stack that cam e down to the grates..Left the turning plates.

Last edited:
Hi BB I 1st tired to get a oak split 6 x 4 to burn down and use as coals, but it was taking forever, to burn down.. Next time might have to start 2 hrs earlier.
Thanks DanB

Danb, the splitter I have is simply just a hydraulic jack laying on its side...it has 2 bars to crank with...one moves the piston alot(to get it up to the log) the other is torque(for splitting) and its very easy to move since the bars are so long. The piston pushes the logs up against a wedge and they just split. Its VERY EASY and i cant believe i didnt buy it sooner. I crank both bars at once and just the torque one once i hit resistance and then when it splits both again. Looking at your posts and your pics i had the same issues as you..trying to get the splits to stay on fire...your splits are SUPER THICK. cut them down a lot. That is what did it for me...yes i have to add splits more often...but my exhaust is always clear with almost no visible smoke what so ever. And it is so much easier to manage the fire. The splits im using are about 18 inches long(max capacity of the splitter) and im working on getting a miter saw so i can cut my splits in half. Ive found that the smaller the split the more clean heat i get and the easier it is to keep this thing going.

Went from this one split:
2015-04-30%2016.43.59.jpg

To this. Took me about a min to do. This shows how much thinner my splits are and its working way better for me
2015-04-30%2016.47.53.jpg

If you want this splitter it was about $102 after tax WITH the 20% off coupon. Hundreds less than the others at HD or Lowes.

Glad to see you stick burning again.

The smaller the pit, the smaller the splits.

A few bits of charcoal to maintain the coal bed is fine.

Good luck and continued success

Danb, the splitter I have is simply just a hydraulic jack laying on its side...it has 2 bars to crank with...one moves the piston alot(to get it up to the log) the other is torque(for splitting) and its very easy to move since the bars are so long. The piston pushes the logs up against a wedge and they just split. Its VERY EASY and i cant believe i didnt buy it sooner. I crank both bars at once and just the torque one once i hit resistance and then when it splits both again. Looking at your posts and your pics i had the same issues as you..trying to get the splits to stay on fire...your splits are SUPER THICK. cut them down a lot. That is what did it for me...yes i have to add splits more often...but my exhaust is always clear with almost no visible smoke what so ever. And it is so much easier to manage the fire. The splits im using are about 18 inches long(max capacity of the splitter) and im working on getting a miter saw so i can cut my splits in half. Ive found that the smaller the split the more clean heat i get and the easier it is to keep this thing going.

If you want this splitter it was about $102 after tax WITH the 20% off coupon. Hundreds less than the others at HD or Lowes.

Hi Just checked the reviews on this splitter,so far all are good. I've seen it listed in the Harbor Freight Flyer awhile ago..I think is was listed for $80.00, with 20% off the listed price.. Now it is listed at $119.00.
I have 2 Harbor Freights close by, Will check it out real soon.
DanB
PS I didn't follow up on it then ,because of 18" limit. I have a 1/4 cord of fire wood that is 21" long.

Splitter

Hi Checked out the splitter yesterday.. Looks real good,not too heavy and looks like it will store well, standing up. I now just have to find some one who sells wood under 18".
DanB

You want to cut splits down some.in my smaller offset anything over 12 inches is bigger than the coal bed and smolders.

Hi Checked out the splitter yesterday.. Looks real good,not too heavy and looks like it will store well, standing up. I now just have to find some one who sells wood under 18".
DanB

some of my splits are longer than 18 inches...im going to buy a miter saw from harbor freight(on sale for $135) to cut them down easier...then itll fit in the splitter no problem...just need to add a block to close the gap...seeing how small your smoker is you would be better off with cutting them in half too i would imagine

as far as storage for the splitter it just sits underneath my smoker lol

Splitter Update $$

Hi All My Harbor Freight now has the splitter for $94.99,but You can't use the the 20% off coupon.
Question for those of you that have one. My firewood is 21-22" in lenght, so it be too long for this splitter,Would it be possible to put the lenght across the splitter and have it cut in half? Thickness bout 3-5".
Thanks Dan

Back