Splits NOT Flaming??

Splits

Hi All Another try at stick burning with my COS, and pretty much the same results..This time I tried small splits 6x3 and medium & larger splits, with the same results.The splits would flame as long as the FB door was open or cracked a Little, once closed the splits went into smoldering mode.

Also the temps were fluctuating all over the place, when flaming the temps would go sky high, when the flame when out the temps went way down. I thought I had a good bed of coals, but I guess not.

At times I had to put the paper from the Lump bag, under the FB grate in order to get things going again. I definitely have some kind of air flow problem. My FB grate sits 4" from the FB floor, I'm wondering IF that could be the problem.

At this point in time I'm ready to go back to charcoal/lump and use the 6x3 splits just for flavor.
Thanks for all your help
Dan

I have an idea Dan

Do you still have those tuning plates and firebricks in the cook chamber?

I see foil in the under the cook grate in another

If you still have that stuff, get rid of all of it

I had a similar issue on my OK Joe, I took out some of the tuning plates and it was much better

I bet all that extra stuff is choking off your air flow!!

HI BB Will take everything out and give it a try next time.The plates and foil cover grate weren't helping out much any. I started liking the idea of having different heat zones.
Thanks Dan

IMG_0502.jpg
Ive got the same smoker, and used wood with great success. Small clean fire, small splits, probably 1 1/2" in dia. Start with a chimney of lump, get to temp, and change over to all wood. Make sure wood is dry and seasoned, also preheated. Exhaust fully opened, Intake about half open if your fire is small. If you keep your fire small you can open the damper up more and push the hot air to the far side, and even out your grate temps. Good Luck

no lump or briqs

I'm not saying my way is better than anyone else's, but I use wood:

1. Chop some kindling, make a "top-down" stack, and light her up with the FB door and cooking chamber doors wide open.
2. Prep your meat while the stack of wood burns. When the fire is really big, close the cooking chamber door (while keeping the FB door open).
3. Add meat to cooking chamber and a split to FB. Close the FB door ONLY after the split starts flaming.
4. Use a blow-pipe to gently stoke the fire when adding splits. The fresh air will blow off some ash, get the coals real hot, and the split should light within 60 seconds of going into the FB.

I sometimes use pine or other resinous woods for the fine kindling, fatwood is best, to get the fire going, then switch to cooking wood. IMHO, the more it resembles camping, the better.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Splits

View attachment 102708
Ive got the same smoker, and used wood with great success. Small clean fire, small splits, probably 1 1/2" in dia. Start with a chimney of lump, get to temp, and change over to all wood. Make sure wood is dry and seasoned, also preheated. Exhaust fully opened, Intake about half open if your fire is small. If you keep your fire small you can open the damper up more and push the hot air to the far side, and even out your grate temps. Good Luck

Hi Just might it a try next time. You must go thur alot of splits that way?
Thank Dan

matadorbait:
With the FB open the splits are burning, once close they stop.Fat wood?

ButtBurner is right. I've seen your charcoal grate. If you would have posted that pic here we could have solved your problem immediately. Please ditch the foil.

Splits

Hi All OK next time I will remove the plates and foil grate, and see what happens.
What I don't understand is how do they affect the FB airflow/draft. With the FB door open the splits flame. Seems to be that the problem is in the FB.

I've only had this COS for 2 yrs so don't know much about airflow/drafts.
Thanks DanB

Hi All OK next time I will remove the plates and foil grate, and see what happens.
What I don't understand is how do they affect the FB airflow/draft. With the FB door open the splits flame. Seems to be that the problem is in the FB.

Thanks DanB

the air travels from the firebox through the cook chamber and out the exhaust. this is what cooks your food

you are blocking this from happening. When you open the firebox lid the air exits there. that's why you have a flame.

no airflow = no flame

Thanks DanB
The thing about offset cookers is that the heat and smoke is forced to travel sideways before it is allowed to do what it naturally wants to do, which is to go upward! ANYTHING that impedes the travel of the airflow through the cooker (charcoal baskets, ash buildup, a pile of briquettes and foiled racks) will give you a drop in temps and dirty smoke to boot.
Tuning plates are fine but there can't be too many and there has to be plenty of space for the heat and smoke to travel through.:grin:

A good way to understand the air flow is to hold your hand over the exhaust. You can actually feel the wind from the draft

HI BB Have not tried any thing new yet..Working on getting some more splits, before I do. Will post back on my next smoke.
Going with some lump and small splits..Going to take the the plates and the alum cover grate out, and see what happens.
Thanks DanB

HI BB Have not tried any thing new yet..Working on getting some more splits, before I do. Will post back on my next smoke.
Going with some lump and small splits..Going to take the the plates and the alum cover grate out, and see what happens.
Thanks DanB

ok good

we all wanna see you succeed!!!

Thanks DanB

I'm new to stick burning and had issues. Seems I have to keep my door open the whole way to get the splits to flame and keep temps up.

If I close door and open vents all the way, it will still drop.

This has been a great thread for me. I have a stick burner that I swore at, blamed the manufacture for bad product (to myself) and created me much frustration. It's a fairly small stick burner. It took me months to mess with.

Turned out ;

I was using too much charcoal to start it. I went from a full charcoal chimney starter to half full.

I was trying to build (and maintain) too big a fire. I went from 4 splits to 2.

My splits were too big. I went from 4 inch to 2.5 inch and bought a Homelite splitter to keep up.

I opened not only the firebox door but the cooker door as well to get the fire burning good to start.

If you read closely, EVERTHING these fellows are saying is right on spot. Too much fire = too much smoke because there's not enough air flow to support it in this size smoker. Turned out "I" was the problem. Now, it's a pleasure to cook with. Still work but that comes with the enjoyment of a stick burner. Good Luck to you and thank you to all that are helping out with this. (By the way... I think also that your last issue is the air flow barriers that you have down stream. Think of it as a beaver dam choking and backing up a small creek.) it's all Zen Grasshopper! We're all root'n for your success! :clap:

Yep they got me set straight when I needed help. My only issue now is the splits I have left are to big. As soon I split them in half long ways I should be set.

Trying a brisket this weekend.

Back