Sous Vide Journey Inspired by Big George's BBQ

I have this same/similar vessel.

You can get a lid. I cut a hole in the lid for the unit.
Evaporation loss is minimal.

I did purchase a lid to cut a hole in it, however the clamp is fixed and not adjustable. I'll be drilling out the pivot pin and fabricating something more suitable for the application.

I ordered these yesterday, but won't arrive until tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q66GCGS/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3SKHY0NC0ZRGI&psc=1

Last edited:
Well I'm still unsure and personally deliberating the idea of cooking skin on chicken. I haven't been able to achieve true crispy skin which I love. However that doesn't mean it's bad, you just have to pick the proper tool for the task at hand.

Steak cooked to perfection and then quickly broiled to sear, DELICIOUS!

Cooking chicken with skin on for soup yields a wonderfully flavored product with lots of flavorful broth for the soup base. After cooking simply de-bone the chicken parts and discard the bones and skin. Set your cubed chicken on the side and add it to the soup during the last few minutes. You can also cook your vegetables in sous vide while you cook your chicken; they just cook for different lengths of time. Not only for soup, but this makes a great stock with tender cubes of chicken for a chicken pot pie, or even a tender chicken breast set atop creamy risotto.

In the mean time I am focusing on foods that don't need browning or crisping. First on the list is going to be a corned beef. I am hoping for very tender slices that will hold together.

So far I'm happy with the results once I have leaned the limitations of the process.

Well I'm still unsure and personally deliberating the idea of cooking skin on chicken. I haven't been able to achieve true crispy skin which I love. However that doesn't mean it's bad, you just have to pick the proper tool for the task at hand.

Steak cooked to perfection and then quickly broiled to sear, DELICIOUS!

Cooking chicken with skin on for soup yields a wonderfully flavored product with lots of flavorful broth for the soup base. After cooking simply de-bone the chicken parts and discard the bones and skin. Set your cubed chicken on the side and add it to the soup during the last few minutes. You can also cook your vegetables in sous vide while you cook your chicken; they just cook for different lengths of time. Not only for soup, but this makes a great stock with tender cubes of chicken for a chicken pot pie, or even a tender chicken breast set atop creamy risotto.

In the mean time I am focusing on foods that don't need browning or crisping. First on the list is going to be a corned beef. I am hoping for very tender slices that will hold together.

So far I'm happy with the results once I have leaned the limitations of the process.

I think it's one of the Kenji videos where he cooks the skins separately until it's golden and crispy, then serves it on the same plate with the chicken.

Yesterdays experiment was a success.

Sous Vide pork chops for 1 hour at 145° for one hour and 15 minutes on Thursday. Chilled and on Friday dredged in flour, then egg wash, and finally set in seasoned bread crumbs.

Breading came out golden-crisp and the pork chops were so tender I didn't need a knife to cut them. Definitely a win!

enhance

Back