Sous Vide Journey Inspired by Big George's BBQ

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
A Thank You to Big Georges BBQ.

After reading a few threads on Sous Vide here I was curious. It wasn't until I saw a thread posted by Big Georges BBQ that pushed me into the direction of giving this method of cooking a try.

Being a newbie I wanted to get a Sous Vide device, but didn’t want to spend a lot just to try the new cooking process. I wrestled with the purchase of the Anova 1000 Watt at $169.00, the Anova 750 Watt model which I decided to pass on, and the InkBird 1000 Watt unit at $63.00 - less than half the price. Although the Anovas are smaller and more compact, the larger InkBird wasn't an issue for me. Coming from an electronics background, I figure the larger unit will radiate and dissipate the heat better. The larger size also means a larger circulation motor for greater efficiency.

The Inkbird ISV-100W WiFi Sous Vide immersion cooker fit my budget and exceeded my expectations. As noted in the instructions, it will ONLY work with 2.4 gig WiFi connection even though it will find your 5.0 and try to connect to it. To save a headache, know your 2.4 network name and settings. You can manually enter the network information to make the set-up easy. For those who have a MAC Address rejection filter, the setup takes a little more work because the MAC Address is not listed on the device or on the unit itself; therefore connect to it with your phone to get the MAC Address and enter it into your router / firewall.

The motor is extremely quiet and manual setup is very simple. There are two APPs for this unit; Inkbird Pro and InkBird Smart:
of the two APPs, I find InkBird Pro to be the better APP for me. It allows easier custom settings in time and temperature for the end user. The app is very basic and has a preset food library, as well as a separate section to enter custom cooking temperature & time settings.

Cooking bins on Amazon are outrageously priced, so I bought a Cambro 10 Liter Food Storage container for $9.00. It's HDPE and rated NSF, safe for food contact, not that it will ever come in contact with the food itself.

Still experimenting with this very quiet immersion circulator.

Started out experimenting with Sous Vide on eggs. I cooked eggs at 150° for 40 minutes for a perfect soft boiled egg, and eggs at 165° for 40 minutes for perfect hard boiled eggs. The hard boiled eggs had firm, but not rubbery whites, makes an outstanding egg salad sandwich.

Next up was a shopping trip to the base commissary to buy some meat to experiment with. I purchased some chicken thighs and some bone-in pork loin chops.

enhance

First into the cooker were the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, I also seasoned under the skin as well. Set the unit to 165° and planning on a three hour cook. The plan here after cooking is to quickly chill and let rest over night. Then before finishing, let the skin dry for a short while, then fry then skin side down in hot oil to crisp the skin and serve.

enhance

Seasoned the pork chops with salt and pepper and placed into the refrigerator overnight.
enhance

They will go into the water at 145° for 2.5 - 3 hours, quickly cool, then breading the pork chops, and quickly browning them.

Bob, I can only hope you enjoy your circulator as much as I like using mine.

Don't fret too much with containers because almost anything goes, this is a 3-gallon deli bucket ($1) that doubles as my brine and corning bucket. I'm doing a 48 hour cook here, so I set-up in my basement on my washing machine. Look into the sous vide balls, they take the place of lids and are wonderful insulation. That said... I have some So-Vida insulation bands and sleeves and some of their bag weights.

PRQhrCj.jpg

The largest container I use is a Party Stacker cooler I bought for a hotbox when resting BBQ meats. Perfect for racks of ribs, bologna, Summer sausage, individual packs of steaks, chops etc, etc. Disregard the 125° setting because I spend 90 minutes ramping up the water temp on bologna.

xyfBzEK.jpg

I've been (barely) holding myself back from joining the SV band wagon for the past few years.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to watching this adventure with inputs from some of the Greats around The Brethren!

:pop2:

I've been (barely) holding myself back from joining the SV band wagon for the past few years.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to watching this adventure with inputs from some of the Greats around The Brethren!

:pop2:

I use mine for reheating and holding food (mainly BBQ) more than anything else, but they are a handy tool in the tool chest. There was a period of time where they were the new hot thing, and it seemed as though many (in general, not really here) tried to cook literally everything in them even if maybe it wasn't the best tool for the job. I saw/see the same thing with Instant Pots. I once saw someone wrapping individual burger patties in aluminum foil and pressure cooking them for "burgers" and I cried inside a little bit.

One handy use case I found was cooking one or two chicken breasts per bag in the sous vide and then I'd keep them in the fridge for quite a while. Because they're basically pasteurized, as long as you don't open the bag they'll be fine for a couple weeks. Take one or two out of the bag, a pan sear on either side for maillard reaction and reheat, voila.

One handy use case I found was cooking one or two chicken breasts per bag in the sous vide and then I'd keep them in the fridge for quite a while. Because they're basically pasteurized, as long as you don't open the bag they'll be fine for a couple weeks. Take one or two out of the bag, a pan sear on either side for maillard reaction and reheat, voila.

For a change of pace..... try curing chicken breasts for 24-36 hours, then cool smoke, then do a SV finish. Awesome for sandwiches, in pasta, salads and more. I have no issues when holding 4 or 5 days.

xWJPfih.jpg

They freeze very well.

XRec42t.jpg

I've been (barely) holding myself back from joining the SV band wagon for the past few years. I'm thoroughly looking forward to watching this adventure with inputs from some of the Greats around The Brethren!

I'm still in the learning curve, as this is all new to me; so I am open to any suggestions, ideas and recommendations. Everything so far is just trial and me continuing to learn from these experiences.

Bob, I can only hope you enjoy your circulatior as much as I like using mine.

Don't fret too much with containers because almost anything goes, this is a 3-gallon deli bucket ($1) that doubles as my brine and corning bucket. I'm doing a 48 hour cook here, so I set-up in my basement on my washing machine. Look into the sous vide balls, they take the place of lids and are wonderful insulation. That said... I have some So-Vida insulation bands and sleeves and some of their bag weights.

I saw those insulating balls last week, thanks for letting me know about them. I really like the idea of the insulated cooker, thanks for sharing.

I use mine for reheating and holding food (mainly BBQ) more than anything else, but they are a handy tool in the tool chest.

That's what I figured as well. I cooked several meats last night and after quick chilling, I put them in the refrigerator fpr the next few days. They won't loose moisture and basically only have to be reheated by browning the meat; at least that's my plan.

Congratulations Bob. I'm not affiliated with InkBird but did do a review for them. I really like their product. Great looking cooks Here is the link:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275794

Nice review, sorry I didn't see it before, not that it would have changed things for my purchase as this is just a trial to see if this is something I wish to continue cooking with in the future.

I really dislike the InkBird Smart App, but thankfully they created the better InkBird Pro App. I highly recommend using the InkBird Pro App.

Another thing I dislike about the InkBird ISV-100W is the securing clamp; the unit hugs the side of the container making that part of the container hotter than the other areas. It was just a concern, not an issue as my container was made of HDPE which would easily take the temperatures. Being it hugs and heats the container, it basically robs the circulating water of using that heat produced. The AVONA in Thirdeye's photos has a stand-off clamp giving clearance all around the unit. I plan on making and retro-fitting my own clamp, but that is something InkBird should consider for their next generation of cookers. The stand-off clamp makes the unit versatile to almost any type of container with varying thickness and heights to work with. Thanks for those pictures Wayne, they may help others to see the differences.

Happy Hapgood's review shows the use of the InkBird Smart App,
9mbkMl8.png

below is a screenshot of the InkBird Pro App.

The app supports a quick library of presets for the most common food in that category, I selected pork.
enhance

The InkBird Pro App also supports custom settings where you can set your own times and temperatures. Vey easy to see and understand with only a quick glance.
enhance

Last edited:
Very nice Bob Hope you enjoy it Will definitely follow your cooks When I last did chicken boneless breast I took at 145* They were fully cooked at that temp

One more very general observation would be to find some reliable and trustworthy sources and consider their advice before following advice from an unknown SV blogger or striking out on your own. Anova for example, has a great database of recipes with full details. They have partnered with several SV chefs including James Kenji López-Alt, the Serious Eats and Food Lab guy.

Doug Baldwin has a fine online resource as well as a few SV books. He is a science guy and explains safety very well. I use his thickness/temperature/time tables for pasteurization all the time when exploring new recipes or when adjusting my water temps.

On the fun side of SV are many SV vloggers like the Sous Vide Everything guys for instance. Science kind of takes a backseat, but they make up for it with great photography, searing techniques and they have a bunch of comparison videos.

Long-time sous vide'er and using a non-wifi Anova. This cooking technique lends itself to anything that doesn't need a smoke flavor and while somewhat a chore to set up I can now get 'cooking' within minutes. Steaks are generally seared not smoked so just like a local white-table-cloth steakhouse I have found sous vide to excel at preventing me from mistakes. Sous vide then sear - I never screw up nowadays overcooking the surface with a raw center. I also use a small lidless ice chest atop my kitchen counter as my bath. I bought the balls but found they are just one more thing to mess with. I can easily add hot water from the tap when the water levels dip overnight. I have not done eggs or home-made yogurt or veggies or fish - we like stove top and oven flavors too much. I have done brisquet flats and flank steaks but these require a balancing act between the sous vide and the smoker that isn't always worth the separate setups. Is sous vide a fad soon to go the way of bread makers, Insta Pots, Air Fryers........ Damn! I've got one of all of these!

Long-time sous vide'er and using a non-wifi Anova. This cooking technique lends itself to anything that doesn't need a smoke flavor and while somewhat a chore to set up I can now get 'cooking' within minutes. I have found sous vide to excel at preventing me from mistakes. Sous vide then sear - I never screw up nowadays overcooking the surface with a raw center. I also use a small lidless ice chest atop my kitchen counter as my bath.

I agree once you've set it up a few times, it's quick getting everything ready for another cook.

I bought the balls but found they are just one more thing to mess with. I can easily add hot water from the tap when the water levels dip overnight.

I was thinking about cutting some bubble wrap as an insulator top; just like the lightweight pool covers.

One thing I dislike about the InkBird ISV-100W is the securing clamp; the unit hugs the side of the container making that part of the container hotter than the other areas. It was just a concern, not an issue. The AVONA has a stand-off clamp giving clearance all around the unit. I plan on making and retro-fitting my own clamp, but that is something InkBird should consider for their next generation of designs.

The InkBird clamp - The unit touches the sides of the cooking container.
00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Eq1hWhkTtJw0cCt4GcwoK9GaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

The Anova Clamp, notice the spacer built into the clamp and allows you to slide the unit up and down through the ring on the clamp..
00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8EqcFLOWOG1yARxUUirxdfvbrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

One more very general observation would be to find some reliable and trustworthy sources and consider their advice before following advice from an unknown SV blogger or striking out on your own. Anova for example, has a great database of recipes with full details. They have partnered with several SV chefs including James Kenji López-Alt, the Serious Eats and Food Lab guy.

Doug Baldwin has a fine online resource as well as a few SV books. He is a science guy and explains safety very well. I use his thickness/temperature/time tables for pasteurization all the time when exploring new recipes or when adjusting my water temps.

On the fun side of SV are many SV vloggers like the Sous Vide Everything guys for instance. Science kind of takes a backseat, but they make up for it with great photography, searing techniques and they have a bunch of comparison videos.

Thanks Wayne, I'll check out those links, we both know about reliable , trustworthy, and accurate sites from all the errors on some of the charcuterie curing sites we've stumbled across.

Got mine about a year or so back, including the expensive bin. Used it for a few months and its now collecting dust. I don't mind having it though because it does work and who knows, I may get back in the mood again.

I have no issues when holding 4 or 5 days.

That's one thing I've based my cooks around; cooking several meals and moving to the refrigerator after quick cooling. They are vacuum sealed, so there would be no oxidation. Once I get past the refrigerator stage, I'll try freezing a pack or two of prepared meals and check for texture changes.

If that is successful, I'll have some heat and eat packages when there is no time for meal preparation.

I'm pretty sure Big George and I Am Mad Man have just cost me some $. I'll act as if I'm put-out, but I'm happy for the good advice and looking forward to a little SV experimentation. Don't tell either one of them, though...

LOL :grin:

Looking forward to the results from this. I have 2 circulators, I've given 2 or 3 of them as gifts. I haven't used them in a while, so hopefully I'll get some inspiration to break it out of storage.

I did bone-in, skin on, chicken thighs at 165° for 3 hours. Quickly chilled them and pan seared them yesterday.

They came out extremely tender and loaded with flavor. The downside is that while the surface of the skin looked great, it never got crispy below the surface. Next time I'll try air drying them in the refrigerator for a few hours, or maybe just removing the skin altogether after cooking and then searing them. Yes, I would leave the skin on when I cook them again, even if I remove them after. The skin is packed with flavor and credit the flavor of that broth to the skins being there.

The amount of liquid from the 8 chicken thighs was incredible. Enough to make a pot of chicken soup. So leftover chicken and the broth will have a useful purpose later this week.

Next up are the pork chops; they were cooked for1 hour at 140° then chilled. My attempt will be to try and bread them and pan fry til the coating browns.

I have this same/similar vessel.
enhance

You can get a lid. I cut a hole in the lid for the unit.
Evaporation loss is minimal.

Back