THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy... He was not asking for a Falcon Heavy.. :twitch:

I've tried smaller torches etc. but like others have said, it takes forever. This rig might take less than a minute a side depending on the cut. Also it makes a great crust without cooking the meat past the desired Sous Vide temp.

I’ve been using a JJgeorge for starting charcoal and my Lang. Works pretty well.

Have not tried it for searing.

https://www.jjgeorgestore.com/grill-torch-charcoal-starter-20-reach/

View attachment 177784

If you get the hotter blue flame closer to the nozzle on the meat you will get what is called "Torch Taste". It is a byproduct of incomplete combustion of the propane and will transfer the taste to the meat. Longer deep blue flame at the end will sear it properly but as the thread states, will take longer. Will also continue to cook the meat therefore raising it from the desired Sous Vide internal temp on the outer edges of the meat.

If you had to pick only one of the sear methods you gave, based on overall results, which would it be and why? Just curious.

That is a really hard question to answer. For example the weed burner is the best way to do some things and pretty much the worst for poultry and fish.

The all weather (indoors) with great results on a variety foods answer would be the salamander broiler so I guess that would be my pick. That is probably not a helpful answer to most people who are not crazy enough to put one in their home kitchen.

The overall quality of the sear and flavor seem to be more related to temp than technique. For steaks, lamb etc. I am searing as hot as I can. I have not measure the weed burner, but the Salamander and charcoal both get me over 1000 degrees. I can’t generally do that with a pan, so the results are different than the other three.

If you are on this forum, I assume you probably have a charcoal grill of some sort and a cast iron, carbon steel, or stainless steel pan suitable for pan searing, so spend the $30-$35 to get a weed burner (with push button igniter) from Harbor Freight and you will have three great options that will work on anything that needs searing.

Back