Experiment with chuck roast-part 2

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Followup from my previous experiment with chuck roast.

Part 1 is here:

Based on feedback from the generous folks here, I tried a couple different variations.

1. Dry brined for 48 hours
2. Cooked sous vide, but only at 124 degrees, for 24 hours.

Phase 1: Dry brine (also dry brined some rib eyes)

Phase 2: sous vide (had to use the cooler for the volume of meat being cooked):

Out of the sous vide cooker and onto the gasser: I was so excited about the experiment that I forgot to clean the grill before tossing the steaks on!

Sliced:

The verdict?

The flavor was good. The texture was...less good. It was tough. Not sure if that's not leaving it to soak for long enough, not a great piece of beef to start with (basic Costco chuckie) or what.

I DID also try a bit o' the rib eye. That was quite tasty. :becky:

Not sure what I'm gonna do with the tough chuckie, but I'll figure it out (is it chili season yet? Dice for tacos/burritos?). The good news: there's plenty of protein in the fridge and freezer!

Thanks for looking!

Bruce

Great post Bruce! Thanks for sharing the results. :grin:

Followup from my previous experiment with chuck roast.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with the tough chuckie, but I'll figure it out (is it chili season yet? Dice for tacos/burritos?). The good news: there's plenty of protein in the fridge and freezer!

Thanks for looking!

Bruce

Chili season everywhere is the same as wildfire season in California, 363** days a year, Thanksgiving and Christmas gets turkey; leftovers then get made into chili.

** Even Cali gets a couple of days a year free from wildfires, though the probability of a catastrophic earthquake on those days is above zero.

@ Jeanie: Thanks!

@ Bruce and Christian: Thanks! Chili it is!

@ Bob: Yes, this setup is not ideal, but it's what worked for the space that I needed for this cook. There is just enough space to tilt the lid while in operation to see if everything is immersed. I weighed down the meat, checked to be sure everything was under water and that the water level was appropriate for the circulator, then left it run. Seems to work OK. Have used this cooler a couple times so far to do a couple larger sous vide cooks. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do!

Bruce

@ Bob: Yes, this setup is not ideal, but it's what worked for the space that I needed for this cook. There is just enough space to tilt the lid while in operation to see if everything is immersed. I weighed down the meat, checked to be sure everything was under water and that the water level was appropriate for the circulator, then left it run. Seems to work OK. Have used this cooler a couple times so far to do a couple larger sous vide cooks. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do!

Bruce

You should cut the lid in half or in a 3rd so you can easily lift the lid and add or remove, or check on your cook.

Back