Some Venison Backstrap and Dove

OMG. It's like my second favorite food wrapped in my first favorite food wrapped in my third favorite food!!! I am so doing this. Got about 40 doves this weekend...muzzle-loader starts in one week...drool....:clap2:

How much would this meal be in a restaurant? You can't get this kinda meal unless you hunt and forage.

I agree with everyone else--WOW!!:thumb:

Question--how does the cure help the venison. When i make bacon or BBB I notice liquid coming out and the meat firming up, but you mentioned the cure helps keep the venison moist? (This may be a stupid newbie question).

Dove, wrapped in venison, then in bacon... I think that might be the best dang idea I have EVER heard of. ALL of my favorite meats!!!

Thank you ssv and Trailer Trash! :grin:

Looks fantastic! I don't know how you can keep coming up with great recipes though. How are the birds flying in OK? We have a good crop this year in Texas. Glad to see you using good gun safety, leaving that chamber open on the tailgate too :clap: Thanks for sharing again.:-D

Mike thanks! The birds have been thick here but a cool front came through and moved them south. The good thing about it is the fat Kansas grain-fed dove arrived here.
I have the habit of jacking the shells out of the shotgun as soon as I'm finished shooting. I'd never set it on the tailgate loaded. Just the way I was taught. :-D Good luck with your hunting! :thumb:

Thank you Rondale, Hank and Phu!! :)

Jeanie, that looks incredible! I'm especially amazed at how the bird meat is cooked yet the venison seems to be a nice medium rare. What's your target internal temperature and how long did it remain on the drum?

I'd like to experiment with rock Cornish hens and beef tenderloin. Thanks for posting!

Bruce thank you! The Tenderquick keeps the venison moist. I brought the meat up to 160F and let it rest before cutting. If it were venison alone I would have pulled it off the heat sooner. I've made these before and find that TQ will keep the meat moist and tender even when I bring the meat to such a high temperature. You do need to rinse the cure off before cooking and avoid rubs with much salt. The cure adds enough salt for my taste buds.
I've not used TQ on beef, just venison, pork and chicken.
Good luck with it Bruce and thanks again!

That looks incredible, Ms Jeanie!!!

Thank you again for the Pookie G!! It's great stuff!! I sent someone to your Mrs. Facebook page yesterday. He is interested in trying your rub.

Gary thank you!! :grin:

Pro all the way. Is TQ Morton's tender quick? Do you season after you rinse the meat?

It must take skill to debone the birds so cleanly. Well done.

Thank you Decoy! Yes it is Tenderquick. I rinse the cure off and I seasoned the dove and finished roll with Pookie G's Season All. It was tasty!
I use the quick cure on thick pork chops.. They are called German Style ..

http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-.../229/german-style-cured-pork-chops-gepockelte

Hope you give it a try sometime. Thanks again!

Thank you Shenco!! :thumb:

Your posts are an inspiration Jeanie. What an incredible combination of flavors.
I sure wish we could Dove hunt in NJ, but we can't. I would love to try something like this one day.
And I like the TQ trick, very nice.
Sam thank you! I wish you could hunt dove there too. I know you would enjoy it! I've stuffed venison with many things and the TQ trick really helps when I need to cook it extra long. Thanks for the kind comment Sam... :grin:

Jen all of your food threads look awesome!!!!!! but this has got to be one of my favorites!!!! That looks sooo gooood!!!!!! you are insanely gifted and talented..... where does it stop...... Bet you can weld too!!!!!:clap2:
Thank you Paul!! You know I'd share with you if you lived closer. Wish I could weld 1/4th as good as you.. :grin::hug:

have you used the TQ on ribeye,and ifso how did it turn out.thanks:hungry:

Bigeater I've not used TQ on ribeyes. I usually just hit those with coarse salt and cracked black pepper.
I use the TQ on pork chops and chicken though. Thanks!

Thank you Sliding Billy and Blue! :grin:

Now that's living off the land! Very nicely done Jeanie - so creative and it looks absolutely delicious. I'm gonna be doing your quick cure pork chops one night this week. :hungry:

Greg Thanks!! :grin: This was one of my favorite meals. Just reminds me of being out hunting. I love it out there whether I bring home game or not.
Good luck with those chops, I know they will be awesome... everything you cook is! :thumb:

Chris thanks so much! :grin:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
OMG. It's like my second favorite food wrapped in my first favorite food wrapped in my third favorite food!!! I am so doing this. Got about 40 doves this weekend...muzzle-loader starts in one week...drool....:clap2:

How much would this meal be in a restaurant? You can't get this kinda meal unless you hunt and forage.
Thank you!! I wonder what restaurants charge for venison and dove... would be interesting to find out. Great shootin' on the dove!!

I agree with everyone else--WOW!!:thumb:

Question--how does the cure help the venison. When i make bacon or BBB I notice liquid coming out and the meat firming up, but you mentioned the cure helps keep the venison moist? (This may be a stupid newbie question).
Thank you Roland! The cure keeps the meat moist. I only cure for one to two hours depending on the thickness of the meat. Cured this loin for one.
The meat does firm up slightly. I cure pork chops this way...they are called German Style.
http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-.../229/german-style-cured-pork-chops-gepockelte

If you get the chance try it sometime. Just like with bacon, the cure needs to be rinsed off well before cooking the meat. It also adds salt so skip adding more.
Good luck and thanks again!

MrTodd and Matt thanks!! :grin:

Pigville Porkers, I hear ya.. I'm ready for deer season too.

SmokeDawg thanks!!!

Thank you Ray and Adams! :-D

The dove are heading your way Adams, just had cool weather slide through here. :)

I had a friend give me a whole bunch of dove breasts just yesterday. I think I know what I will do with them now. I don't have any venison, but I suspect beef will do the trick.

Thanks for the post.

Thank you guys!! :grin:
Nice score Joe! Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. :cool: :grin:

Back