Venison Shoulder on the Fire

What was the final temp. The guys I hunt with tend to cook venison to a very, very well done.

aka ruined???

I cook mine to 135-140F and carries over to 140-145ish, where it's still plenty red and juicy and not pink and brown. If going much past this, it gets chewy and dry. At that point might as well cook until it shreds, then add liquid like sauce to moisten.

Works fer me! Lawdamercery!

Thank you Hoss! :grin:

Jeanie, That looks delicious. How big of a doe was that? That shoulder looks bigger than the ones I am used to seeing around here. I have hunter friends who donate the shoulders from the deer they kill as they are mainly concerned with the hind quarters, back straps and inner tenderloins. I most always use the shoulders for grinding. If the cleaned muscle sections are big enough, I make jerky out of the two bigger muscles and grind the rest. Most of the shoulders I get will yield between three to four pounds each of cleaned ready to grind meat on the average. Been a while since I have cooked a whole shoulder. I may try that next season if I am given a small shoulder as they are sometimes aren't worth the time it takes to clean them for the amount of grinding meat they yield. Thanks for sharing another cooking experience with us!

Deers to you,

Juggy

Thank you Juggy! I used to grind all shoulders. I really prefer cooking them whole. Lots less work and the meat turns out delicious!
This doe field dressed at 145. It was actually a small one compared to some I've got in the past. I try to get at least one buck and one doe each season. The meat lasts me all year. I also used to cook the shank along with the shoulder. The shanks are better braised. imo
Good luck next season!:grin:

First rate!!

Thanks so much Rob! :grin:

You absolutely set the bar high Jeanie!:clap:

Very kind of you Marty! Thanks! :grin:

I think that looks amazing! What a way to honor and respect the animal.
I take that as a high compliment, coming from you Grain Belt! I know you honor and respect wildlife too. Thank you! :grin:

A fine day at the lake, Jeanie! Looks pretty awesome.
Thanks Mike!! It was a nice week. I hope to get out there again soon. :grin:

Superior effort young lady!
Ed
Thank you Ed! :grin:

Awesome!

Nice work :thumb:

Thanks Smokey! :grin:

Drooling here. I've been out of the hunt for some time now. Makes me want to take my rifle out of retirement. Incredible effort.
I hope you do go again. Just being out in the wild is enough, bringing home venison is a bonus. Thanks! :grin:

^^^truth^^^

You need to get out there too, Adams! :grin:

I want all of that!

Thanks Mike! I'd send some to ya if I could! :grin:

As usual an OUTSTANDING Cook. You put a new meaning to camp food. No need to apologize you cant post too many pictures Jeanie
Thank you George! I'm glad the pics don't bother you. I need to figure out how to cut back on them. :laugh:

Best venison I have ever cooked is over open fire. Our deer are only 80-110 pounds in N Fl, so I separate hind leg into the 9 or so individual muscles about the size of a softball to cantaloupe, marinade in Italian dressing for a day or two, then over open flame until medium rare, about 20 mins or so. Tender, juicy, and no tendons or connective tissue to chew on. in small towns around here nothing to do but hunt and fish for fun, which is a-ok with me. We have lots of clubs where we run deer with dogs, so if you get a deer over 2.5 years they get kind of tough.

I normally go to a buddies place in middle GA and take out a few does on his land for the both of us once or twice a year. After his dad passed away suddenly when we were in high school, he got out of hunting for a few years until I got him back in it while we were going to college. Those several years in between the deer population boomed with no one hunting, and I would go get 5-6 deer two or three times a year for two or three years to try and get the herd back in control. We would cook half of one that weekend to eat and have left overs, then the rest we processed and vacuum sealed them and that's the only thing we ate the whole year while in college. Grocery shopping was only bread, mayo, mustard, tea bags for sweet tea, and salad, cereal, and milk every now and then. Best shape I've ever been in due to low fat content and high protein deer naturally have in the South.

JrTheSmoker, sounds like you are living the good life!! That's great!! Nothing better than providing meat for your table. I'd say you were eatin' better than most college kids! :grin: Between rifle, bow, muzzle, and an extra doe season, I think I'm allowed around 7 deer a year (I'd have to look it up). I'm not a trophy hunter, just go for the meat.
Your description of roasting marinated hunks over the fire, has my mouth watering. :laugh: Same here on the hunting and fishing. IMO it's a great way to live. :grin: Thanks!

Fantastic, Jeanie!:thumb:

Thank you John! It was tasty at the time. :grin:

That is peace and relaxation at it's finest! If more people did that, there would be a lot less stress and and a lot more civility in the world.
So true, Ron!! People need to turn the media off and live life. Thanks so much Friend! :grin:

Excellent cook, as usual.
ALLEGRO marinade is good... I keep a bottle of the hot & spicy in the fridge.
Thanks Colin! I really like the allegro too! I need to try that hot and spicy version, bet it's delicious! :grin:

When I hunted along the Colorado in central Texas, literally.almot the Geographical Center, 5-6 of us would arrive to a half barrel with mesquite coals, a yearling white tail roasting over coals. Fresh tortillas, squeeze of lime, Cholula.and a slice of roasted WT. Usually a pot of beans with jalapenos floating.

Good times
Thanks for the memories

Doesn't get any better!! IMO :grin:
One of my horse friends has impromptu cooks every so often. Barrel, disc, venison or goat meat. He cuts off slivers of meat into the disc with onions and peppers, we grab hot tortillas, limes, chiles or peppers, beer... so simple but SO good. No chairs, we stand outside of the barn door. :grin:
You do need to dust off your hunting rifle! :grin:

Awesome!

If you got the doe J, I got the me! :grin:

Thanks Greg! Imo, venison is pretty tasty. :grin:

Thanks for sharing - what a great cook !

Thank you Ted! I appreciate it! :grin:

Thank You for killing Bambi Jeanie!

Delicious!

You're very welcome, Bill! Anytime! :grin:

Last edited:
What was the final temp. The guys I hunt with tend to cook venison to a very, very well done.

I do not use thermometers. I have cooked many shoulders and plan on 7 hours, depending on the outside air temp and wind. I use my hand to "feel" the fire and look for pull back on the meat. I shoot for pink in the center on these. On most other venison, I cook to the "rare side" of medium rare.
The Allegro really helps keep the meat moist, so does the baste.

aka ruined???

I cook mine to 135-140F and carries over to 140-145ish, where it's still plenty red and juicy and not pink and brown. If going much past this, it gets chewy and dry. At that point might as well cook until it shreds, then add liquid like sauce to moisten.

I agree.
I don't take the meat temperature while cooking, I just monitor the fire and meat. I love fairly rare steaks and tenderloins. Shanks and some roasts I'll braise til fall apart tender.
IMO Venison is best either rare or cooked in liquid til tender.
I am happy with what the Allegro does to keep it moist.
Sometimes I quick cure stuffed backstrap if I am going to cook it longer than rare.

Wow...Wow...and freakin WOW!!.....Miss J your post are ALWAYS enlightening, stimulating, and takes me back to my dad taking brother and I on adventures on the upper Pearl river Ms. or oxbow lakes above Vicksburg Ms, fishing in Barataria Bay La, or hunting /fishing in the Wynoochee wilderness above Durango Colorado. God Bless and God Speed, your post do so very much for so very many people. Peace.....and damn that looked good!!!

Wow...Wow...and freakin WOW!!.....Miss J your post are ALWAYS enlightening, stimulating, and takes me back to my dad taking brother and I on adventures on the upper Pearl river Ms. or oxbow lakes above Vicksburg Ms, fishing in Barataria Bay La, or hunting /fishing in the Wynoochee wilderness above Durango Colorado. God Bless and God Speed, your post do so very much for so very many people. Peace.....and damn that looked good!!!

Thanks so much Keith.. You are very kind!!
Sounds like you grew up livin' the good life. I'm glad the post brought back good memories for you! :grin:
Thanks for the post, I appreciate your friendship! :hug:

Please don't ever apologize for too many pictures. All of it...I miss all of it so much...other than not seeing my kids for 90 days, this is the thing I missed the most and still can't do. So you keep those pics comin', because it certainly reminds me of my life goals.

As always, amazing looking food!

Please don't ever apologize for too many pictures. All of it...I miss all of it so much...other than not seeing my kids for 90 days, this is the thing I missed the most and still can't do. So you keep those pics comin', because it certainly reminds me of my life goals.

As always, amazing looking food!

Shoot, Adam, I hope you're back at it soon!
Thanks!

:heh: Probably Nice n Cool cooking over a fire, next to the water……… :loco:

It was awesome! lol I've been missing out on the heat this summer. This time last year, I had livestock dropping dead due to the heat. This is the first green spring and summer I've seen in at least 7 years. :grin:

Ditto on the compliments, you are a fine cook.

I love the photos with fishing poles in the background. Are we going to see any photos with those poles in a bent position?

Spectacular as usual Jeanie!

I’m sitting in the county courthouse waiting to see if I’ll get called for jury duty. This thread will help me avoid getting selected…who would choose someone that’s just sitting, staring at the screen and actively drooling?

Bruce

Back