SoCal Brethren - Charity Cook on 12/6

Fantastic! We'll take all the hot/cold holding space we can get!

The plan is solidifying - I should have the workflow totally figured out this weekend - or next! :heh:

I'm shooting for having everything cooked at the house (except for Neil's turkey obviously) and transporting everything to the site, and then we're just slicing, pulling, and keeping the sides stocked.

And - SoCal farkers - could still use a few hands - esp. early in the morning at my spot getting the stuff cooked and packed up for transport, but also on site pulling and slicing as well. Right now it looks like serving starts at 11:45.

Last edited:
Alrighty - saw Bigmista on Sunday - John - he will have 90# turkey breasts for you to pick up. They will be in cambros or some sort of carrier like that. Maybe you can drop the carriers back off on your way back? If not, I can run 'em down there - it doesn't take a lot of arm twisting for me to head to Bigmista's. :hungry:.

This coming weekend I'll send out PM's to the folks I've heard back from, and we'll nail down who can go where and when. Looking forward to it!

Alrighty - saw Bigmista on Sunday - John - he will have 90# turkey breasts for you to pick up. They will be in cambros or some sort of carrier like that. Maybe you can drop the carriers back off on your way back? If not, I can run 'em down there - it doesn't take a lot of arm twisting for me to head to Bigmista's. :hungry:.

This coming weekend I'll send out PM's to the folks I've heard back from, and we'll nail down who can go where and when. Looking forward to it!

I will pick up the birds and return the empties.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Just got back home, looking forward to seeing pics of the event after you have an opportunity to post 'em.

Always great to hang out with you Greg & Ray... next time, let's make it after 5am though
sleep-027.gif

ps: Ray, thanks for the Starbucks
pps: vegetarian collard greens are evil
vomit.gif

Just got back home, looking forward to seeing pics of the event after you have an opportunity to post 'em.

Always great to hang out with you Greg & Ray... next time, let's make it after 5am though
sleep-027.gif

ps: Ray, thanks for the Starbucks
pps: vegetarian collard greens are evil
vomit.gif

Great to see you Scott!
I did not get to many photos of the event but did get a couple of good ones at Greg's of the beans and the greens.

I will try to post a couple of those when I get the time.

The event was incredible! Very well organized and so many cute kids that had probably never had BBQ like that before. The looks on their faces was priceless.
Word got out that I was the real Santa clause and the guy there dressed as him was an imposter. Not sure how that could happen. :rolleyes:

Between Big Mistas Turkey, the pulled pork, beens, greens and cole slaw, I think Greg got two marriage proposals. He sent them girls your way Niel. :laugh:
Heres a coupe photos from yesterday.

The Beans,
IMG_3286_zps17ccdb70.jpg

The Greens and a couple of pots for the NON Meat Eaters.
IMG_3290_zps9c38829d.jpg

Greg filling a 5 gallon bucket of Greens,
IMG_3291_zps7abc8f57.jpg

SmokinJohn picked up two cambros packed with smoked turkey from Big Mista. Best dam turkey in the So Bay.
IMG_3296_zps4de84f3f.jpg

This is where we served all the kids BBQ.
IMG_3294_zps25a97380.jpg

The event was awesome and we had a great time! I gotta saw we have some some seriously amazing folks here - Bigmista did a huge solid with the turkey - I still can't wrap my head around how he makes it so good - by far the best I've had anywhere.

Silverfinger and DUBBAGA showed up at 5 freaking am to help out with the prep, SmokinJohn picked up the turkey and brought it strong on site. A couple other bro's jumped in as well - Scott, who helped in many ways, and Duke, my BBQ partner in crime at work - who got drafted onto the service line along with SF. My wife and kids were awesome as well. All these folks - all of them - were doing whatever it took to make the thing happen as well as it did. Not only that, but these are all great folks to hang out with - working, partying, whatever - it's always a pleasure to see these farkers.
The folks we served seemed to really enjoy it - there were a lot of smiling faces.

I only took a few pics:

100# rubbed and ready

photo-2112.jpg

In the cooker

photo-287.jpg

Lunch time!

photo-384.jpg

SF and my oldest serving it up

photo-828.jpg

My deepest gratitude to everyone who helped out - I feel very fortunate to know you farkers and really enjoy hanging with y'all.

I also need to mention that the knowledge I gained on this site right here made this possible - after 4+ years on here, I am continually amazed at the wealth of information here as well as the kindness of the people who populate the BBQ Brethren - what a cool farking deal this is. :thumb:

Ray - I'll try to get the slaw out of the cooler before I return it. :heh:

Outstanding effort and that food and event looked great. Now, get your tails up here for next Saturday. :becky:

That is really some outstanding looking grub.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Outstanding effort and that food and event looked great. Now, get your tails up here for next Saturday. :becky:

That is really some outstanding looking grub.

I would love to - and one day I will! Between this week, and another event in 2 weeks though, it isn't in the cards this go-round. But seriously - keep me posted - I think it'd be a blast to come cook with you guys one day. Thanks for the kind words!

Back