So, I did my first pork picnic and I gotta say, I must be a butt man!

With the skin do you guys usually chop it up and mix it in? Also has anyone tried cutting back the skin so you can lift it to apply rub on the underside and put it back down for the cook? I have wanted to try this but the Food 4 Less's around here all closed and they were the only ones that consistently carried picnics. Time for a Rest Depot run!

With the skin do you guys usually chop it up and mix it in? Also has anyone tried cutting back the skin so you can lift it to apply rub on the underside and put it back down for the cook? I have wanted to try this but the Food 4 Less's around here all closed and they were the only ones that consistently carried picnics. Time for a Rest Depot run!

I score the skin to allow the fat to render out a little bit easier. I do chop some of the skin in, but not all of it. I do chop the skin seperately so that I can do a finer chop on it and a rough chop on the meat. I do this as most people don't want a big chewy piece of skin.

I'm sooo cheap I've only smoke two butts.
I do picnics all the time.

I just tried skin on.... From now on I'll smoke picnics this way, simply because it's so much less work.

I like the variety of it.. I break some down to pull and some down as chunks and then into carnitas.

I think I will try some carnitas with the one I have in my freezer! Thanks for all the great info, folks!

Be sure to post how you do the Carnitas and how they turn out. I tried doing one Carnita butt using the same marinade I use for making them on the stove. Epic failure. The pork was way over powered with Cumino taste...

I like.... no love Pork! If I have a choice I'll take the Shoulder over the Butt it has more pork flavor for what its worth I skin mine and make chicharon out the skin that I use to top my sandwiches and top up the lard pail.

I prefer picnic with a couple of caveats. I cook skin off and do them really low and slow without wrapping. They are not as tolerant of high temp cooks IMO. They tend to tighten up and lose a lot of moisture. I also think that getting them pulled fairly quickly and eaten immediately is important. Ultimately, I find them more flavorful especially the really dark meat. I will be posting my picnic cook (same Albertsons sale) from overnight shortly.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2X_XNdmWws"]Seinfeld - Assman - Dr. Cosmo Kramer, Proctology - YouTube[/ame]

The butt is a pretty rare cut around here, so I've done quite a few picnics.

Usually I'll skin them and then tie the skin back onto the opposite side. That way I can smoke them fatty side up, but still have the skin on the lean side to protect the meat from the direct heat of the UDS.

I've been pretty happy with the results, but if I was using another style cooker I probably would leave them skinless.

Cashsaver in Memphis has butts for 97 cents/lb this week. I do like picnics, skin on, but a whole shoulder, picnic and butt, is a thing of beauty.

I think whole shoulder is the best--the extra juiciness of the butt with the meatiness of the picnic and the skin is beautiful

I score the skin to allow the fat to render out a little bit easier. I do chop some of the skin in, but not all of it. I do chop the skin seperately so that I can do a finer chop on it and a rough chop on the meat. I do this as most people don't want a big chewy piece of skin.

Extra smoked skin makes amazing white beans!

I've done a few picnics and usually prefer butts, but then I've also always trimmed the skin and fat off.

I may have to have another go at a picnic....... :rolleyes:

Through the high pork prices of the last year, reasonably priced Boston Butts were not to be found in my SoCal area, and I am on the lookout constantly.

Picnics have been available though, ~$.89 to $.99/lb.on sale. I smoked quite a few in my Vision Kamado, and I must say, I too am a Butt man!

The Butt offers all the muscles in a picnic, plus a lot more fat and connective tissue, and that delectable "Money Muscle". I just can not coax the same deliciousness out of a picnic, despite my best effort. Perhaps they demand more BBQ skill than I possess.

Just last week I got Butt @ $1.29/lb. at a local market, and saw boneless Butt at Costco @$1.39/lb. Thank goodness a bit of sanity has returned to meat prices. Maybe someday I'll get to try Beef again!

Back