THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I smoke them 'till done, maybe a little under, then throw them on the gasser for a couple minutes and then pull them and toss in sauce. Usually gone as soon as I put them out.

Todd

I've gone to just smoking them at about 325 and calling it good. They aren't crispy but aren't rubbery either.

I have tried throwing them on the gasser to crisp up after smoking at lower temps. Pattern seems to be, get the gasser good and hot, transfer the wings and go in to grab a beer. Get distracted by something for only a couple minutes, then look out the window and run back outside cursing as I see smoke pouring out the grill. Amazing how fast one can light wings on fire

Which convinced me to just cook a bit higher on the rectec and call it good

I'll usually smoke mine alongside my ribs at 250 or so for 1-1.5 hours and then flash fry them before serving. Gives a great smoke flavor and you get the nice crispy skin. It also allows you to make them ahead of time and have them hot for your guests.

350+ degrees and don't crowd them and restrict airflow around the wings, cook them until they are nice and crisp and the fat is rendered and bubbling inside the 2 bone section, temp and airflow are the keys to crispy skin on the smoker.

I cook in the main chamber. I've learned on chicken not to over think, which is my biggest issue. I don't worry about temps or time, just fully open both intake and output, run a hot fire and cook till there good and done. I'm not picky about skin but like my chicken and wings almost falling off the bone (well done). Breast is the only chicken I take to temp.
Fill that smoker up with wings and cheap whole chickens, it won't go to waste. Tons of recipes for smoked chicken.
Leftover wings are the best!
Smoke on!!

I put a dry rub on the wings and smoke in my Lang at about 250 until almost done. Then, I throw them on a HOT charcoal grill to finish and crisp. Depending on your setup, you could maybe smoke them the day before or morning of, and then use a hot charcoal grill to reheat/crisp? Personally, I'm not a fan of the fryer.

Ive done many cooks in my 26 Kettle with VORTEX set up. I make an outside circle of wings (oiled w/peanut oil and rubbed) and filled the modified Vortex with 1,5 regular briquettes chimney looking for 450-475 lid thermo Temp.
45-50 minutes later wings come out ALWAYS crispy and never burnt.i et them rest not in a pile but spread ovr the foil for 5 minutes and they are ready to eat sauced or not.

I've done exactly what you're proposing - slow smoke at 250 until cooked, then i put them over direct heat coals for less than 5 minutes just to crisp up the skin.

i would recommend brining the wings prior to cooking though as they may dry out after both low and slow and grilling. good luck!

When I want serious wings, they get smoked indirect in the BGE at 250 for about an hour - that takes them to the 160-165 range, then drop them into a fryer at 375 for about a minute to crisp them up. Great flavor, great crisp w/o drying them out.

:thumb:

A bit of work, but not too bad. Seasoning depends on how hot you want them. I usually stay pretty bland for my wife. It's easy to get heat after the fact. Big fan of Frank's. Melt a bit of butter in a pot, mix in Frank's (and a couple of drops of Dave's insanity if you want). About 30 seconds after the wings come out of the fryer, give 'em a quick toss in the sauce. Chart House Blue Cheese dressing and Buttermilk Ranch for dipping.

Good way to drink beer. :becky:

How crispy are you looking for? There's a big difference between not rubbery and crispy. I do mine in the PBC, which runs between 280 and 300 generally and the skin comes out "done" where you can bite through it easily, just not crunchy.

Back