Smoking whole wild pheasant

worldbfreebase

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Charon
Bagged a few pheasant in Iowa over the weekend and obviously the first thing that came to mind is I wonder if I can smoke them.

I searched the forum and didn't find a whole lot of info and what was there is pretty old.

Anybody come up with a good plan for these birds?

When I hunted pheasant my favorite way was to filet the breast, pound it flat, really flat and chicken fry.. I would take legs and bones and simmer for broth- soups, stews chili. There are multiple Crock-Pot recipes using cream of something soups, company chicken etc etc. Those COS soups don't Always set well within my system. Marinated Kabobs work too. However any lean bird while possible to get fantastic results "smok'n" is rewarded, just not the simplest to hit my mark. I loved chicken fried. #poundthemsuckersflat

I haven't hunted them but got some from a friend. Definitely brine. Smoke hot n fast.

As said above, brining is always a good move no matter how you cook.

It’s a little off the norm, but I’ve parted them out, often butterflying the breast, and then pan frying and making gravy (mushrooms and onions are a good addition) just like they’re quail. Just my two cents.

Or just smoke em like you would a chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree with brining and bacon adds fat, moisture and flavor.
I've been a pheasant hunter for 45 years, had them cooked pretty much every way.
Fresh, brined, breaded and fried is my favorite, but sous vide with butter, then a quick sear in cast iron is a close second.
They are definitely leaner and dryer than chicken, so don't overcook.

The livers, gizzards and hearts are fantastic!

I have cooked pheasant indirect with apple chunks on the weber, basted with melted butter diluted with white wine. Very good.

What ever you decide hope you tell us the outcome My father use to hunt them Dont remember how they were cooked

Back