Shrimp Tempura on the Blackstone

bigb56

Name or Nickame
Brian
Well I tried to find one of my earlier threads but not too successful, permission denied. Then I tried to tag onto the Blackstone appreciation thread but it said "over 68 days old you cannot reply":mad: So I started a new thread.
Anyway we were away for awhile and it's been really hot here but today I took the grill half of the Tailgater down and put a cast iron pot over the round burner and made shrimp tempura. They came out perfect!
I meant to take a pic while they were cooking but it was so fast I didn't have time. Threw in some mushrooms too!

Attachments

• deep fryer.jpg
    deep fryer.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 154
  • tempura.jpg
    tempura.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 155
Well as first read, that didn't make sense, but now it does. Nice tempura and a good use of the Blackstone. Fried Chicken on the Blackstone is in your future!

Please don't take this the wrong way but that looks more like a beer battered shrimp.
Tempura is a very thin coating of something like potato flour, corn starch, and ice water or club soda. You should be able to see the pink shrimp through the crispy batter.
All that being said, I'd very much enjoy your plate of
Good.
Ed

Hey Ed, Would you care to share your tempura batter recipe? Here is the recipe my mom used and I am not sure if it really is a true tempura batter or not. I do know that the batter yields about the same results as what Brian posted as her recipe sounds like it is thicker than the recipe you described.

My mom's tempura batter recipe:

1 Cup Floor
1 Slightly Beat Egg
1 Cup Ice Water
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
2 TBL Vegetable Oil

Beat until moistened but not smooth. Keep batter cold with ice in batter.

Hey Brian, those scrimps and shrooms look good!

Back