smoked wings

Dave,

I'll be honest: I've never been a fan of breaded wings. That said, I'm really interested in how you do it and how that effects the final result. Apologies if I'm rather blunt on the subject.

Any chance you'll share your breading recipe with us?
You grill your wings after breading vs. frying them, no?

Appreciate the info... To each his own...

For about 20-25 wing pieces

1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional on this amount) Wimps might use a 1/2 teaspoon

I am a chili-head and often double the spices in this recipe if I am cooking the wings just for myself.

Prep the milk and egg wash and then the dry ingredients. Wings into the wash and then rolled in the dry coating. Fridge the wings for about 45 minutes for the coating to set.

Make up your favorite hot wing sauce for basting the wings. I am sure my mixture will be tooo hot for most folks but here it is.

1 cup Louisiana hot sauce
1/4 stick of melted butter
1/8 cup honey
1/8 cup rooster
2 TBL Tabasco
2 tsp ground cayenne pepper

I just grill the wings at about 300-325 degrees and apply a couple of coats of the hot sauce near the end of the cook.

Smoked with Mesquite for 1 1/2 hours, to the gasser to crisp and glazed with Franks and Daves Sweet and Saucy

20160529_150944_zps2lixjo6g.jpg

There's no shortage or recipes here so I'll keep mine close.

Lets talk about whole wings vs party wings though. Whole wings have a huge advantage - that wing nib? It's you sauce dipping handle, and it tells you when your wing is done. When it tears easily, you're about done. Set the sauce and get the crowd ready.

There's no shortage or recipes here so I'll keep mine close.

Lets talk about whole wings vs party wings though. Whole wings have a huge advantage - that wing nib? It's you sauce dipping handle, and it tells you when your wing is done. When it tears easily, you're about done. Set the sauce and get the crowd ready.

I break mine down for ease of eating. also if I leave them together the skin splits at the joint and ends up looking crappy.

Gettin Basted had great wing they cooked at one of their classes. The finishing sauce was 50/50 hot sauce and Yokos Teriyaki sauce. Very good.

I'd say you're one of very few, who doesn't think Franks Hot Sauce would add any heat whatsoever. Oh, and feel free to post your YouTube video of you chugging a 12 oz glass of Franks...I look forward to checking it out.
The vinegar gets me before the "heat". You must find ketchup spicy. Eating Trinidad scorpions will teach you where your tolerance level is.

Recently did some wings with a spicy teriyaki. We made teriyaki sauce (google it, there are many recipes and better than store bought) and added some chipolte pepper flakes for a little warmth. When it comes to wings I am a traditionalist, Buffalo sauce with Blue Cheese dressing. These little wings may have converted me. The reheated ones were not as good as fresh off the kettle though. We didn't firm up the sauce on the kettle, we warmed it up on the stove and tossed the wings in it.

The vinegar gets me before the "heat". You must find ketchup spicy. Eating Trinidad scorpions will teach you where your tolerance level is.

Why would my comment lead you to believe that I can't handle heat? I love heat, as long as it is balanced with the other flavors. I have no desire to eat scorpion peppers, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Why would my comment lead you to believe that I can't handle heat? I love heat, as long as it is balanced with the other flavors. I have no desire to eat scorpion peppers, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I guess what I tried to convey (like I originally said) not everyone's tolerence to heat is the same. To me Frank's is not spicy, I love that stuff and put the Sh.. on everything, but I don't think it is spicy. So as I pointed out before, someone asked if it added spice to the wings, if it were me, I would say meh, probably not. That vinegar tang though, that is nice to have.

I smoke my wings all the time and they come out great. I've been wanting to try something that would crisp up the skin but haven't done it yet, i want to smoke the wings then deep fry them for a minute or 2 and then sauce them up.

I love me some wings, but I'll never understand why folks cook party wings...unless whole are not available anywhere.

I love me some wings, but I'll never understand why folks cook party wings...unless whole are not available anywhere.
It's definitely harder for us to find whole wings. We do occasionally find them and buy them though, so much easier to deal with while cooking, but harder to sauce, IMO. I like to pull them off the grill into a large SS bowl, toss in sauce and put back onto the grill to firm it up and add another layer of sauce afterwards.

Pecan wood is the key to great wings. I love it on chicken.

It's definitely harder for us to find whole wings. We do occasionally find them and buy them though, so much easier to deal with while cooking, but harder to sauce, IMO. I like to pull them off the grill into a large SS bowl, toss in sauce and put back onto the grill to firm it up and add another layer of sauce afterwards.

Pecan wood is the key to great wings. I love it on chicken.

I typically just sauce them right on the grill, or with some sauces, I just toss afterwards...and dig in.

Give me smoked beef ribs and wings and I will be your loyal friend forever. I guess that would be my achilles heel.

Back