Smoked Salmon fit for a Viking!

Beat me to the Kid Crutch.:laugh:

I have never glazed salmon, but after seeing this going to try it. I know some who might be converted.

Looks like your smoker repair is a WIN.

Good luck in the TD!!

Big win on the repair. It gave me a chance to change a couple of things and I like it much better now. Let me know if you want the recipe for the glaze. I actually got it from a place in Prairie de Chien.

Big win on the repair. It gave me a chance to change a couple of things and I like it much better now. Let me know if you want the recipe for the glaze. I actually got it from a place in Prairie de Chien.

Love to give it a run. It sounds like your brine is very sweet and using fillets it permeated very well.

Damn, now I have to go fishing again...:laugh:

Isn't smoked salmon actually a Jewish dish? I know it was introduced here by Jewish immigrants and we had our fair share of Viking raids :mrgreen: doesn't matter though when it looks so good!

You are thinking of lox.

Smoking fish though has been done as a means of preservation by northern peoples since before recorded time.

So many lovely things in your cook thread -- the smoked salmon (I don't eat fish but jeez it looks good), unique home built smoker (wow!) and that cute kid crutch. Love that you included the smoker build and repair, I'm part-way through the original build and it looks great!

So many lovely things in your cook thread -- the smoked salmon (I don't eat fish but jeez it looks good), unique home built smoker (wow!) and that cute kid crutch. Love that you included the smoker build and repair, I'm part-way through the original build and it looks great!

Thanks Kathy!

Fantastic thread sir! :clap2:

Salmon looks fantastic, love the smokehouse and that is a world class kid crutch for the ages. :clap2:

Fantastic thread sir! :clap2:

Salmon looks fantastic, love the smokehouse and that is a world class kid crutch for the ages. :clap2:

Thanks. Luckily, they get their looks from their mama! I had to have them in this thread since the oldest one has such a Nordic name (Gunnar).

Thermal mass wanted the recipe for the finish glaze so here it is:
- use a container that will hold approximately 2 cups
- 1/4 cup pancake syrup
- 1/2 # light brown sugar
- fill the rest of the 2 cup container with ketchup
- mix together well
- this mixture will last for about 2 months in the fridge if you cover it properly

The brine recipe is:
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup salt
- 1# brown sugar
- 3 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp sweet basil leaf
- a little bit of minced green onion
- 2 tsp leaf oregano

Make sure to put the fish in scales up in the brine. Also, use a second bucket with an inch or so of water in it and set it on top of the fish in the other bucket to keep them submerged. 12-15 hour brine time.

Back