THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics look fine to me and the stew looks incredible... Thanks for taking time to post the process.:thumb:

Thanks for putting this up Donnie - this could help me with the "what do I do with leftover meat from rotisserie-ing a goat or lamb" situation - it may or may not work but worth trying for sure. Also I've been cooking more Mexican food lately, mostly thanks to a fantastic meal at Casa de Tonybel.

Enjoyed the videos, brother.

As we now live in an area with plenty of Latinos, I'll need to get my head around making some of this wonderful stuff!

That bowl of goodness looks like just what I could use on frigid days on the high plains.

Chuckies sure look tasty, and almost like they're meant for the dish... would be curious to taste/hear about using brisket instead (as you first mentioned).

Nice to see you posting again...

Thanks for putting this up Donnie - this could help me with the "what do I do with leftover meat from rotisserie-ing a goat or lamb" situation - it may or may not work but worth trying for sure. Also I've been cooking more Mexican food lately, mostly thanks to a fantastic meal at Casa de Tonybel.

Thanks to you for commenting. I like advice as I am going through unchartered territory for me.

There are some requirements to my process. Part BBQ, half- assed bbq that is, part unusual for this area -- so that means fusion, versatility and above all easy YET impressive.

After the little taco thing I did at the school, and dabbling in them for swim meets... I have come away with a few realizations.

One is - my meat is my selling point. This is why when explaining it to someone I have NOT sold or given the the food to I always get, "why don't you just grill up some ground round?"

Yet if I try to get too legitimate, someone can object. I want to serve people with one willing foot in tradition (and this project has both Mexican and Texan BBQ heritage) and the other foot ready to step into something funky, where is where I take it. Obviously this MKT helps.

04.jpg
The MKT Kitchen

But the thing I was struggling with at the little R and D cooks was making tacos quick enough. The hold up was putting the meat on the torts.

What is going on here is the torts are made fresh - not sure I would do that but I might as I keep getting kids telling me their moms want to do that for me, of course for pay. And they simply are doing this non stop as he goes through the meat and birria. In any case, someone is heating up the torts, wrapping in couples or triples in foil and let the person decide whether they want it on a tort or not and how and what they want on it.

I mean look at the guy's meat. Mine is certainly as impressive... but visually, only to the few that see it before I chop it all up. I often get sad I have been doing this.

beef.jpg

So I have made more decisions and those are what they are. Chop to order, add a stock based on the drippings and pepper concentrate, construct a lipped chopping block, serve torts and the fixings. LOL Oh and sell dogs and brats.

Now... a hot Mexican Lebanese combination

Janira%2BKremets.jpg

Awesome ladies....orange sauce is habanero salsa. Birria looks great too. Grew up eating tons of it and barbacoa too. Keep up the good cooks!

"Yet if I try to get too legitimate, someone can object. I want to serve people with one willing foot in tradition (and this project has both Mexican and Texan BBQ heritage) and the other foot ready to step into something funky, where is where I take it."

I can really appreciate your first sentence above. It's a no win.

But, don't you think your fusion of two traditions is every bit as tasty/satisfying as either of the two traditions by itself? Maybe even tastier, perhaps? Reminds me of something that G.K. Chesterton opined, that that which is both familiar, yet new, is what people really love most. A bad paraphrase, but the point is simple enough.

"Yet if I try to get too legitimate, someone can object. I want to serve people with one willing foot in tradition (and this project has both Mexican and Texan BBQ heritage) and the other foot ready to step into something funky, where is where I take it."

I can really appreciate your first sentence above. It's a no win.

But, don't you think your fusion of two traditions is every bit as tasty/satisfying as either of the two traditions by itself? Maybe even tastier, perhaps? Reminds me of something that G.K. Chesterton opined, that that which is both familiar, yet new, is what people really love most. A bad paraphrase, but the point is simple enough.

I recently had the same nightmare cooking seafood gumbo...in a land of transplants.... and a food allergy to seafood; dark, light, thick, thin, lobster, oysters... wtf?

Okay, getting in the game. Donnie, as for the pics, I'd go with what Ron and Phil suggested. My first thought was the phone was upside down too. I also see the pics upside down as of just now.

Loving the hot Latinas! Lol. Lemme check out that vid!

Bob

Ya'll need to learn you some Espanol! Lol. That Homeboy is out out California area. At least area code says so. He is catering that gig and already set up for a noon party. The towel over the cutting board is just there to keep the surface, knives, etc clean and probably to keep the damn flies off. He has catered for them at least a couple times before. The consommé is served in the small cups as part of the plate. He makes some funny jokes about drinking the beer and wine before the party guests arrive and then jumping into the pool! Then, he says, no, work is first. Lol

Need to see it again, but didn't catch if he says its goat(chivo) lamb(borrego) or pork.

The orange salsa could be anything. Habanero would be my guess. There are other yellow pods like Fresno chiles out there.

I like his vid and presentation. I'd hire that guy.

We have many guys like him in our area that cater parties like that. Maybe a 2 man operation. Good food, decent price depending on what you want. He brought everything cooked. Some will cook on the spot. But they do quick taco meat type stuff. As you can see by the cuts of meat, you have the ribs, etc in there. He will pull pieces out, chop em on the board and the serve.

The torts in foil is common too. You toss em the packet and let the customer deal with making their tacos. Saves time too. Or, serve the plate, etc and toss folded torts on the side. Saves you from making the actual taco.

Bob

Last edited:
Now, the first vid. Same guy, obviously. Lol. And catering in a party hall. Wedding or a quince.

He puts the towel over the board just to keep it from getting food dropped in it. Looks like he may be the one serving too, so he stays in the one area and has everything lose to him.

I'm gonna say he's doing pork. Not many will do goat or lamb for a huge gathering like that because many won't eat it.

I will say this, I'm not digging his charro beans. They are lacking in the charro area. Lol. They may be tasty, but charro beans got all sorts of stuff ther from sliced hot dog, chorizo, cilantro, bacon, jalapeños etc. Now, his arroz looks spot on!

Bob the Translator!

Okay, getting in the game. Donnie, as for the pics, I'd go with what Ron and Phil suggested. My first thought was the phone was upside down too. I also see the pics upside down as of just now.

Loving the hot Latinas! Lol. Lemme check out that vid!

Bob

All the pics are fine on my laptop right now, but I prefer my latinas upside down...

Back